The Mandalorian.

vingmotor

Almost all the reviews that I have seen, are very critical of the series.

I dont usually place much faith in movie critics though.

So, there's 2 things.

One is the critics, who at this juncture most of them only really care if a particular show is advancing their particular political agenda - you can safely ignore ALL of it. None of them are even qualified to be movie critics.

Two - The reviews by Star Wars fans have LOVED the episode. LOVED IT. I saw it myself, and it is completely devoid of any political crap, Mary Sues, or any nonsense for the sake of it.

It was just pure Star Wars and felt like something right out of the OT.

I don't want to spoil it, but if you are a fan of the original Star Wars and the Spaghetti Westerns that inspired it, you will LOVE this.

I am stoked to see Episode 2 on Friday.

It was nice. The start was kinda slow with just shots of him moving around, but then it became intense. I like very much how they held on to SW, it really felt like the typical SW environment, which is good, I think people dont want new stuff, just the good old fashined SW movies.

The little references to Mandalorian culture also help add so much in the terms of worldbuilding.

There has been more Mandalorian culture shown in 3 episodes of this show than all Star Wars live action and animated media before this.

I hope they keep up these 'little references,' they have been sweet so far.

Jon Favreau has saved Star Wars. In regard to this precious franchise, other than SWTOR, I feel like I've been lost in the wilderness for a very long time, and now I'm finally seeing the way out. Every episode of the series has been a home run so far. And interestingly there are a lot of game-like features to it. Get mission, kill boss, turn in for upgraded armor. Love it

Oh and BioWare - I want a Baby Yoda companion ASAP! .:csw_yoda:

There has been more Mandalorian culture shown in 3 episodes of this show than all Star Wars live action and animated media before this.

I hope they keep up these 'little references,' they have been sweet so far.

Not really?

We see a bit of ritualism in regards to the forging of their armour as well as a small piece of their code of honour (not accepting a signet since the kill was achieved with the help of an enemy). That is pretty much it (in regards to new things, we already knew they are highly attached to their armour and weapons).

Tantalizing tidbits to be sure, but that's it. This compared to the entire arc in TCW dealing with the conflicting cultures of the new pacifist Mandalorians and the old militant Death Watch and multiple arcs in Rebels dealing with their various sects (Protectors, various houses, ex-Death Watch, pro and anti Imperial etc.), their history (particularly the Mandalorian Wars reference) and more on how the militant and non-militant aspects of their society fit together. The is FAR more in the animated shows than we've gotten so far. Give a season or 2

For that matter, what we are seeing is most likely just a particularly orthodox sub-sect of the Mandalorian culture, presumably born of the Imperial purge (hope they plan to explain what that was...). Ex. the question of whether he had removed his helmet is inconsistent with the previous Mandalorians we see, who would go helmetless all the time when not in combat (for obvious reasons)

Edited by MadDutchman

Yeah i didn't really understood the "helmet rule " either as whe see Mandalorians without their helmets in SWTOR, CW and Rebels.

Unless that's a rule that appreared after Rebels.

That, or they are a sub-group that we just didn't see until now. It clearly wasn't a rule in mainstream Mandalorian culture during the rise of the empire era, as even die hard Mandos would take their helmets off.

My personal theory is these are the survivors of the purge who became very clannish and orthodox in their beliefs as a result. It is very common with cults to adopt a stringent set of special rules and mantras that are intended to separate them from everyone else as well as foster a sense of internal unity.

Edited by MadDutchman

That, or they are a sub-group that we just didn't see until now. It clearly wasn't a rule in mainstream Mandalorian culture during the rise of the empire era, as even die hard Mandos would take their helmets off.

My personal theory is these are the survivors of the purge who became very clannish and orthodox in their beliefs as a result. It is very common with cults to adopt a stringent set of special rules and mantras that are intended to separate them from everyone else as well as foster a sense of internal unity.

I would favor this as well. It can be used to great effect. There is definitely something Mandalorian about this group, yet, they don't seem to know the Mandalorian language, have their own set of rules not really obeyed by other mandos (causing some nerd fights over whether Jango and Boba are really Mandalorians or just people who have the armor), and even call themselves a tribe vs a clan.

We also know about the Empire executing a great purge of Mandalorians, which is why this group hid their numbers for so long.

I feel like there was enough distinctly Mandalorian, yet enough different, that if the ultimate arc of The Mandalorian is this lone bounty hunter eventually rising up enough to unite the clans and become Mandalore for his people, then this not only would work well for an overall story for the show, but also would mean that the Mandalorian at some point is going to need to meet his own Mando-wan Kenobi; an old sage Mandalorian who perhaps may shock him by taking off his helmet, and yet also be undeniably Mandalorian, know the language, etc, and be the ultimate passer-down of the true Mandalorian traditions, before meeting his obvious but untimely end somewhere down the line.

I would also have to say, there is a part of me that wants baby yoda to stay with the Mandalorians the entire show - a Mandalorian Yoda series after the crap that's been the sequel trilogy would have my interest piqued.

Either that or it's a rule that was added after the purge they were talking about in order to better hide themself and their true numbers.

I feel like there was enough distinctly Mandalorian, yet enough different, that if the ultimate arc of The Mandalorian is this lone bounty hunter eventually rising up enough to unite the clans and become Mandalore for his people, then this not only would work well for an overall story for the show, but also would mean that the Mandalorian at some point is going to need to meet his own Mando-wan Kenobi; an old sage Mandalorian who perhaps may shock him by taking off his helmet, and yet also be undeniably Mandalorian, know the language, etc, and be the ultimate passer-down of the true Mandalorian traditions, before meeting his obvious but untimely end somewhere down the line.

I would also have to say, there is a part of me that wants baby yoda to stay with the Mandalorians the entire show - a Mandalorian Yoda series after the crap that's been the sequel trilogy would have my interest piqued.

Would be a nice arc for the series.

And i'd also like if baby yoda could stay for the entire show, it is really cute.

Edited by Goreshaga

Episode 3 solidified it's epic bad assery!!

Far from it. Shows is called The Mandalorian, but if it weren't for carrot...I mean "Yoda" baby/clone/whatever it is....show would suck. But because it's all about that baby everyone gives this show a pass.

In 2 episodes he was beaten by just 1 animal. In 1st by medium sized mount and in 2nd by that other one. Now in fking 3rd all those bounty hunters can't hit him or beat him? " yeah ok I'll believe it"......and then one guy sees past plot hole armor and is like " hey what if shoot the droid,so he doesn't excape us".

SEE PAST BABY YODA. He is even like...sh*t can't forget my carrot...gotta go back and get it.

Far from it. Shows is called The Mandalorian, but if it weren't for carrot...I mean "Yoda" baby/clone/whatever it is....show would suck. But because it's all about that baby everyone gives this show a pass.

In 2 episodes he was beaten by just 1 animal. In 1st by medium sized mount and in 2nd by that other one. Now in fking 3rd all those bounty hunters can't hit him or beat him? " yeah ok I'll believe it"......and then one guy sees past plot hole armor and is like " hey what if shoot the droid,so he doesn't excape us".

SEE PAST BABY YODA. He is even like...sh*t can't forget my carrot...gotta go back and get it.

People like you crack me up - you wouldn't know a good story if one hit you in the head.

The story, while predictable, is still very good. There is an ART to telling a story. A story doesn't have to be something that OMG SHOCKS YOU to be worth-while; its like people got Sixth Sense syndrome, where if there isn't either gratuitous T&A or stuff blowing up or some SHOCKING story element, the story "sucks".

Yet we do have stuff blowing up all the time on this show - but it works because everything HAS A POINT. The story telling, often the art of telling it on a visual medium without words, is STRONG with this show - stronger than anyone in Hollywood has dared try since I'd wager the 1960s or 70s. It uses its visual medium and silence to effectively convey its intent in a way most visual artforms have forsaken.

And the hero, while damn good at his job, isn't omnipotent, isn't a mary sue, isn't perfect, but over the course of the series will likely EARN that. You want the end at the beginning - which is crap character development.

And YES, there is a baby yoda, and yes, a bunch of people are cooing over it. Get OVER it. Because the baby has a point too - if you are doing a story in a visual medium where the main character has a helmet on the entire time, and therefore you cannot utilize his facial expression, having a strong emotive counterpart to act as a proxy to relay it for that main character is smart. And to have it not be some over the top Jar Jar binks type character, but instead an also-mostly silent baby-toddler who can convey the intent with an expression instead of theatrics is GENIUS.

Baby Yoda serves that important part as emotional foil for our helmeted anti-hero.

Seriously - this show is a throwback not only to the OT, but to the effectiveness of tension in old spaghetti westerns and also effective story telling. straight to the point, no pointless or wasted story telling, tight, compact, effective.

That you get hung up on a baby yoda tells me this is pearls before swine to you.

The show is amazing. This is the way.

I have spoken. :csw_fett:

Edited by ZionHalcyon

And the hero, while damn good at his job, isn't omnipotent, isn't a mary sue, isn't perfect, but over the course of the series will likely EARN that. You want the end at the beginning - which is crap character development.

So much this.

I'd take that man, who while really cool and strong will take a beating here and there because in the end he's still just a human being (well trained, with good equipment, but just a man in the end) who can progress even more to become even more amazing, than MaRey Sue who is already perfect at pretty much everything she does while she never got any kind of proper training (the second one is an absolutely boring and perfectly not relatable character).

HE CAN ALREADY GO AND CLEAR ROOM FULL OF STORMTROOPERS...BOUNTY HUNTERS...WHATEVER IT'S THROWN AT HIM;. He can even run to turret,while everyone shoots at him and mounts it and then kills everyone.

Stormtroopers and bounty hunters are just men too in the end, with lesser training than one of the best Mando, and said Mando had a full Beskar armor at that point, which makes him harder to kill.

It's also probably easier to anticipate what other people would do than a wild animal's reactions.

Well, its true that I also expected him to be more top-knocht cause he would have failed a few times if it werent for the circumstances. The question is if this is how the director wants it to look, that he gets buy with luck, cause thats how it is, or its means he is not good, but just had luck on his side. I would welcome a character which is more supreme, this rather seems to be someone who is yet to become the best.

Sure, it seems baby yoda was the plan from the start, as we have chirstmas coming and it will be baby yoda toys all over the place.At least it reminds me why they are doing such things, simply for money.....

Stormtroopers and bounty hunters are just men too in the end, with lesser training than one of the best Mando, and said Mando had a full Beskar armor at that point, which makes him harder to kill.

It's also probably easier to anticipate what other people would do than a wild animal's reactions.

The producers nicely displayed the experience of the Mandalorian. With animals, he is bad off cause he had issues to mount the animal and defeat the ragehorn (or what ever that was). On the otherhand, when he infiltraded the imperial outpost the stormtroopers didnt stand a chance.

Against the bounty hunters it was a bit overdone ofc, but you cant expect to see the reality in TV, right? :)

Oh please it was 1v1 fight. And again I can look past mount defeat one,because he wanted to mount it, not kill it. I get it. Even though it was a joke.....when Nick Nolte's character is like..."NOPE WE CAN ONLY USE THIS MOUNT AND NOTHING ELSE!" ....and then you see,that the path they took and just /facepalm

I am not saying he has to be best there is...never beaten, never humiliated.

When he gets jetpack he'll soar both litterally and figuratively over his enemies with ease.

Replace the Carrot at end of first episode with simple twi'lek slave...or some long forgotten codes. Well twi'lek slave people would theorize, if he/she was a Jedi...replace it with him getting that egg Jawa's wanted and you'll see so many of shows flaws. And I don't just hate for sake of hating....I liked Rogue One and Solo moives....rest is trash. Force awakens is trash and people were hyping it up and what not....Last Jedi is even more trash and people still praised that bantha poo-doo.

And honeslty I don't care,when they show Rodians and other races in show anymore...Canto Bight ruined that. Because now it's like...uuuuh look at this race/species....now look at this....now look at this one....uuuuh doesn't it scream STAR WARS.....and their focus is on that, while story suffers.

Edited by Collec