Its time for a new class!!!

Delani

We need to spice things up a bit. This is a Star Wars universe, where are the droids and wookies? Imagine a two new classes being introduced into the game, a wookie and a droid class. Wookie is Republic and Droid is Empire. They mirror each other and neither can be modfied via costume. They both do not speak, only commnunicate via subtitles and there is not class story. You unlock them at level 60. They can either be tank, heal or dps and be ranged or melee depending on which type of droid/wookie you select. You can steal all the ideas from Battlefront 2 in regards to moves, movement and abilites. Lets make this game thrive like it should!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to spice things up a bit. This is a Star Wars universe, where are the droids and wookies? Imagine a two new classes being introduced into the game, a wookie and a droid class. Wookie is Republic and Droid is Empire. They mirror each other and neither can be modfied via costume. They both do not speak, only commnunicate via subtitles and there is not class story. You unlock them at level 60. They can either be tank, heal or dps and be ranged or melee depending on which type of droid/wookie you select. You can steal all the ideas from Battlefront 2 in regards to moves, movement and abilites. Lets make this game thrive like it should!!!!!!!!!!

We need to spice things up a bit.

Debatable, but there are many ways to do so. I favour a but of nutmeg, some ginger, and a very small amount of Cayenne pepper. ;)

This is a Star Wars universe, where are the droids and wookies?

I look around in-game, and I see Wookiees and droids fairly often.

Imagine a two new classes being introduced into the game, a wookie and a droid class.

Wookiee (with two Es...) would not be a *class*. That would be like making "Human" a class.

Come to think of it, "Droid" would not be a class either, for much the same reason, except in spades. (Floaty probe droid? Ring-necked protocol droid? Three-legged major battledroid? Astromech?)

Wookie is Republic and Droid is Empire. They mirror each other and neither can be modfied via costume. They both do not speak, only commnunicate via subtitles and there is not class story. You unlock them at level 60. They can either be tank, heal or dps and be ranged or melee depending on which type of droid/wookie you select. You can steal all the ideas from Battlefront 2 in regards to moves, movement and abilites.

O-o-o-o-o-o-kay, but I don't see anything substantive about the classes here. What would they do? What kind of abilities? Explain in words for those among us who aren't interested in BF2 and therefore don't know what you're basing the idea on.

Lets make this game thrive like it should!!!!!!!!!!

For sure, but I don't think new classes are the way to do that, especially not story-free classes in a story-driven MMORPG.

I'm trying to figure out how the entire Knight's saga would play out:

I've melded into your mother board, and there's nothing you can do about it...

Nope, not going to buy that. I was hoping for something interesting, but it's just straws to grasp at? Where's the Imperial Trooper, or the SIS Agent? Those have potential, depending on how they're handled, but really they'd just be more of the same, basically. I can understand why they were left out, but they could have been fun, if they'd been developed from the start. Move Smuggler over to mirror BH instead of IA. W/out stories though, there's really no point.

This isn't my idea, someone posted it a while back on the forums, but I really like it: an Echani fighter class. Echani would be a species option of course(think the Last Handmaiden from KOTOR 2), while the fighter class would be centered around Echani martial arts and would essentially be SWTOR's version of a "monk" class.

See also:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Echani/Legends

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Echani_(martial_art)/Legends

Those would be races, not classes.

I did laugh a bit though when thinking of what special abilities a wookie class would have and all I could think of was yell loud, dislocate your arm, and intimidate by yelling even louder.

I'm trying to figure out how the entire Knight's saga would play out:

I've melded into your mother board, and there's nothing you can do about it...

Nope, not going to buy that. I was hoping for something interesting, but it's just straws to grasp at? Where's the Imperial Trooper, or the SIS Agent? Those have potential, depending on how they're handled, but really they'd just be more of the same, basically. I can understand why they were left out, but they could have been fun, if they'd been developed from the start. Move Smuggler over to mirror BH instead of IA. W/out stories though, there's really no point.

An imperial trooper class would be dope

Those would be races, not classes.

I did laugh a bit though when thinking of what special abilities a wookie class would have and all I could think of was yell loud, dislocate your arm, and intimidate by yelling even louder.

You could base a class on a species tho, just steal moves and ideas from the movie and Battlefront series,, same for droid. I mentioned those two because the blueprint is already laid out.

For sure, but I don't think new classes are the way to do that, especially not story-free classes in a story-driven MMORPG.

If the only way they can add a new class is by doing a 1-50 level story campaign then we would never see a new class in the game, ever. lol

At the end of this day, this game lacks variety within the universe, not story

W/out stories though, there's really no point.

I hate to say it but focusing solely on story is why this game's sub count has dropped from 1 million to around 100k and why there are only 5 servers left (2 out of the 5) are practically dead. People need a reason to sub every month and people who only play for story, only need one month's sub in order to complete the content. They arent the gears that keep SWTOR running and the servers "on-line". Especially since most of them quit after the story is complete, they are not the ones investing in the cartel market nor do they keep resubbing. I agree that story is imperative but adding new classes and species would make people stay. Investing in making SWTOR a universe may be a better idea than making a 10 hour story. Just my opinion.

You see that circus performer over there, the one named Bioware? See how he keeps failing to juggle those eight bowling pins?

Give him a ninth one. He's sure to do better that way. He certainly won't fall on his *** as they all come clattering down around him.

Oh, he's a clown. He's supposed to fail, and make everybody laugh. Weird thing is though, it's hard to keep laughing when the clown keeps asking for his 15 bucks a month, but you got tired of the circus a while back. You were hoping for the orchestra to come into town.

You see that circus performer over there, the one named Bioware? See how he keeps failing to juggle those eight bowling pins?

Give him a ninth one. He's sure to do better that way. He certainly won't fall on his *** as they all come clattering down around him.

Oh, he's a clown. He's supposed to fail, and make everybody laugh. Weird thing is though, it's hard to keep laughing when the clown keeps asking for his 15 bucks a month, but you got tired of the circus a while back. You were hoping for the orchestra to come into town.

What can they do to keep a sub then?

What can they do to keep a sub then?

It seems you're a bit confused as to population drops. There was a high expectation for continuation of the class stories, every expansion brought more disappointment about how they weren't there. I'd imagine that sub numbers dropped each time. The initial hit had more to do with lack of end game content, and bugs, I think. However, since the main selling point to swtor is the class stories, ignoring those in favor of a droid, or a wookiee PC isn't really going to bring the subs rolling back in, when they don't have any stories, and won't fit very well into what's there already.

They dropped the ball hard on Conquest too. Just reading the name, you'd think they finally found a way to make PvP relevant in this game, but nope. I had dreams of guilds actually fighting it out in a private instance for control of a sector, and instead found that you could craft your way to victory, some weeks. I'd imagine there were more than a few disillusioned players that walked away then too. Episodic releases hammered 'em too, to the point they did a promotion to keep people subbed for the duration.

it's not a lack of new classes, and certainly not a lack of new classes that start at 60 with no voice acting, and no new story content. It's not any single thing, there are a ton of factors involved. I wonder how many quit when the EU was ditched as canon, if this game was even live then. Believe it or not, I'm not here because I'm a huge Star Wars fan, it's ok, but I am a huge BioWare fan. I'm not happy with everything they do, and I do get burnt out and go do other things, it happens when you have over 40 toons. But nothing that you've described would have me yelling "Take my money".

Having just leveled a Necromancer (the new class in ESO) to max with the expansion released on May 20th, I have to say...

Of the many criticisms I have of SWTOR, though it is still my favorite game, one thing BW has done pretty well is class diversification. Note that is very different from balance, but the classes do feel and play quite differently, even with the advanced class differentiation.

I can (kinda) see maybe a monk-oriented class being different, but given the depth of class diversity as it exists now, I would prefer they devote resources elsewhere.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Having just leveled a Necromancer (the new class in ESO) to max with the expansion released on May 20th, I have to say...

Of the many criticisms I have of SWTOR, though it is still my favorite game, one thing BW has done pretty well is class diversification. Note that is very different from balance, but the classes do feel and play quite differently, even with the advanced class differentiation.

I can (kinda) see maybe a monk-oriented class being different, but given the depth of class diversity as it exists now, I would prefer they devote resources elsewhere.

Dasty

Thats exactly why i mentioned a new class because ESO just introduced the Necromancer class.

It seems you're a bit confused as to population drops. There was a high expectation for continuation of the class stories, every expansion brought more disappointment about how they weren't there. I'd imagine that sub numbers dropped each time. The initial hit had more to do with lack of end game content, and bugs, I think. However, since the main selling point to swtor is the class stories, ignoring those in favor of a droid, or a wookiee PC isn't really going to bring the subs rolling back in, when they don't have any stories, and won't fit very well into what's there already.

They dropped the ball hard on Conquest too. Just reading the name, you'd think they finally found a way to make PvP relevant in this game, but nope. I had dreams of guilds actually fighting it out in a private instance for control of a sector, and instead found that you could craft your way to victory, some weeks. I'd imagine there were more than a few disillusioned players that walked away then too. Episodic releases hammered 'em too, to the point they did a promotion to keep people subbed for the duration.

it's not a lack of new classes, and certainly not a lack of new classes that start at 60 with no voice acting, and no new story content. It's not any single thing, there are a ton of factors involved. I wonder how many quit when the EU was ditched as canon, if this game was even live then. Believe it or not, I'm not here because I'm a huge Star Wars fan, it's ok, but I am a huge BioWare fan. I'm not happy with everything they do, and I do get burnt out and go do other things, it happens when you have over 40 toons. But nothing that you've described would have me yelling "Take my money".

A lot of people expected this game to be like SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) also, they thought there would be more species, space battles, actual use of ships, not on the rail space combat etc. People also want to be involved in the universe as well as get a story but a 1-50 class story is most likely never ever going to happen again and quite frankly, I dont blame them if they never do one again. We have to keep moving forward not backwards.

Thats exactly why i mentioned a new class because ESO just introduced the Necromancer class.

Right, but (isn't there always a but)...

The Necromancer in ESO doesn't play all that differently from Wardens or Pet-based Sorcerers other than you have to push a button to summon your minion. That's a bit extreme to be sure, but the real draw of the Elseweyr expansion in my mind is -- well-- Elseweyr.

If you added a 'monk type' class to SWTOR, I just don't know how they would add melee-based abilities that differ too much from the existing ones other than animations.

Look, I'm not opposed to the idea of a new class -- and to be fair -- I did enjoy the animations for the Necro class but...

There's not a big difference b/t casting Flame Skull and the other Mage abilities. For those who don't play ESO, it's the difference between a regular fireball and a fireball in the shape of a green glowing skull. Similarly, there's not a huge difference b/t casting Boneyard and other AoE Mage abilities. If you go Necro tanking, Death Scythe is basically just Slash, but you have, well, a glowing scythe.

Again, I'm supportive of the broad idea of a new class, but I'm not persuaded on what it brings to the table game-wise outside of novelty and funky new animations. With that said, there's nothing wrong with funky new animations.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

It's past time if you ask me.

It should've been on this xpac.

No excuse needed for resources if you just add it as another advanced class.

Of course, if it's something like a completely different background, it could be done with a "hero"class system, where the character you start with is already a prominent person in the galaxy (leader of the alliance) but decided to change focus to a new discipline cause they were disenchanted with whatever they had before. Ta da! Easy as pie! Just need the will to do it.

Though i do love the classes in this game, i also know a new class is something that draws many players in/back.

Just don't do a minion class. The game struggles with companions as it is.

Something like a Teras Kasi, or a Jedi/Sith class based on Starkillers unique lightsaber stance would be very exciting for me. Or you know... something completely new could work too.

Edited by Nemmar

Of course, if it's something like a completely different background, it could be done with a "hero"class system, where the character you start with is already a prominent person in the galaxy (leader of the alliance) but decided to change focus to a new discipline cause they were disenchanted with whatever they had before. Ta da! Easy as pie! Just need the will to do it.

That's story-based. And there is nothing wrong with that.

The way I read your post is you are asking for the ability to switch classes. If you want to talk about new advanced class abilities that differ from the existing ones, I'm all ears...

Dasty

That's story-based. And there is nothing wrong with that.

The way I read your post is you are asking for the ability to switch classes. If you want to talk about new advanced class abilities that differ from the existing ones, I'm all ears...

Dasty

Well the thing is, classes on this game are a relic of the past. They have been seperated to advanced classes on the character creation screen. So in practice, the advanced classes are now the classes. Classes are only there to separate the story elements, cause they are the same between each 2 of the advanced classes.

So, a new class could fit on the existing class storylines, being mechanicly different but sharing a theme. For example, the starkiller stanced class i sugested could fit under the Sith warrior/jedi knight storylines.

I don't think they have to share abilities at all anymore, and i wasn't asking for a class swap, no.

I dunno when you started playing, but if this is confusing it may have been before your time. We used to choose between 4 classes, rather than 8 and when we reached the fleet around level 10, we could choose between 2 advanced classes, wich are the classes we now have baseline cause they decided to do away with that.

If you know, it's ok, it's a note for those that didn't and were confused.

Edited by Nemmar

Well the thing is, classes on this game are a relic of the past. They have been seperated to advanced classes on the character creation screen. So in practice, the advanced classes are now the classes. Classes are only there to separate the story elements, cause they are the same between each 2 of the advanced classes.

So, a new class could fit on the existing class storylines, being mechanicly different but sharing a theme. For example, the starkiller stanced class i sugested could fit under the Sith warrior/jedi knight storylines.

I don't think they have to share abilities at all anymore, and i wasn't asking for a class swap, no.

I dunno when you started playing, but if this is confusing it may have been before your time. We used to choose between 4 classes, rather than 8 and when we reached the fleet around level 10, we could choose between 2 advanced classes, wich are the classes we now have baseline cause they decided to do away with that.

If you know, it's ok, it's a note for those that didn't and were confused.

I'm not confused. It's not before my time.

If and when you can note something mechanically different about the new "Starkiller" class / stance you propose, I'll pay attention.

Until then....

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

People still have character slots left?

Mine went well over cap with server mergers and no way I can afford 40+ char slots just to get 1 free to play a new class.

I could see this being a problem with many.

Droids and Wookiees already there as companions. There is droid and cyborg armour sets as well. - for you and your humanoid companions.

If you wanted another character class and story, then simply mail your request to the studio with a bank transfer offer of around 100M dollars. I'm sure they'd be happy to meet you.

This game is starved of cash and resources, manpower and vision, and on a creaky old engine. . - It isn't gonna change much any time soon.

Though i do love the classes in this game, i also know a new class is something that draws many players in/back.

Just don't do a minion class. The game struggles with companions as it is.

Something like a Teras Kasi, or a Jedi/Sith class based on Starkillers unique lightsaber stance would be very exciting for me. Or you know... something completely new could work too.

I agree completly