Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

any comment on server merge?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
any comment on server merge?

Andryah
05.13.2016 , 09:40 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
The question asked by that particular dev was NOT a promise that they would be offering reduced rate transfers again.
Yeah... the fact that he freely admitted he did not read through the threads 34 pages, followed by a question, to me is indicative that he is aware of the issue being raised.. but it certainly is not some flaming priority for him.

People need to think with their brains, rather then their emotions. He could have turned back on the discount price within hours of having posted his question. Yet that is not what has happened, which to me is telling.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

addyusaf
05.13.2016 , 10:00 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Cross server isn't worth the expense. Free or 90cc transfers cost nothing. Bioware doesn't need to invest time into creating something that doesn't help the core issue of losing customers. They would be better off investing that time into making group content that ends the stagnation.
I would have to know the cost of implementing cross sever GF to weigh in on that aspect, but just becuse it's not free, or it takes some development time, doesn't mean it's not worth it.

I still think merging the fleets and letting players form their own groups should be considered. I don't know what issues it would create having someone from a different native server in your group, but since everyone would be transferred to the group leaders instance for whatever content you intended to do, I imagine they would be minimal.

Andryah
05.13.2016 , 10:06 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by addyusaf View Post
I would have to know the cost of implementing cross sever GF to weigh in on that aspect, but just becuse it's not free, or it takes some development time, doesn't mean it's not worth it.

I still think merging the fleets and letting players form their own groups should be considered. I don't know what issues it would create having someone from a different native server in your group, but since everyone would be transferred to the group leaders instance for whatever content you intended to do, I imagine they would be minimal.
First one that comes to mind is name conflicts. This is both a technical issue and a social issue.

The technical issue could be solved, as other companies have done so... but I doubt it is trivial unless you planned for it early in development and put the hooks in for it in the future.

The social issue is Fred from server A being a complete arse and having a bad rep for it.. and then people thinking that Fred on Server B and server C, etc. are the same person... which sucks for Fred-the-good. Again.. the technical solution would resolve this.... but the point is.. that there are multiple consquences of a move to cross server and if you don't figure them all out in advance and implement to avoid them... things will be worse then if you did nothing.

Now.. could they invest in cross server and implement it? Very likely. Would it eat a good amount of resources? Very likely. Would if fix problems for players wanting instant queues? Probably not. It would help, but it would not solve it, for a variety of reasons already discussed 8 ways to Sunday already. Which means it would be an imperfect solution that requires resources that probably have higher priority on other things.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

Jadescythe
05.13.2016 , 10:33 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
First one that comes to mind is name conflicts. This is both a technical issue and a social issue.

The technical issue could be solved, as other companies have done so... but I doubt it is trivial unless you planned for it early in development and put the hooks in for it in the future.

The social issue is Fred from server A being a complete arse and having a bad rep for it.. and then people thinking that Fed on Server B and server C, etc. are the same person... which sucks for Fred-the-good. Again.. the technical solution would resolve this.... but the point is.. that there are multiple consquences of a move to cross server and if you don't figure them all out in advance and implement to avoid them... things will be worse then if you did nothing.

Now.. could they invest in cross server and implement it? Very likely. Would it eat a good amount of resources? Very likely. Would if fix problems for players wanting instant queues? Probably not. It would help, but it would not solve it, for a variety of reasons already discussed 8 ways to Sunday already. Which means it would be an imperfect solution that requires resources that probably have higher priority on other things.
Most cross server compatibilities that aren't a compeitive game mode allow it as an option. If you did join a GF queue, you could simply choose not to be grouped with other servers and, most likely, not get a group or have it take an excessive amount of time. If people are going to be jerks in random groups, lack of cross server won't stop them.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

MooseMcKenna
05.13.2016 , 10:41 AM | #25
Something that I would add to a possible server merger would be expanded conquests. Instead of the top 10 getting guild rewards I would change it to the top 20 get the rewards. Simply cause the amount of guilds in what we have been calling mega servers would suddenly have lots more guilds competing. Although even right now there is a guild that is at the 10th spot for a planet with only ZERO points up.

Jung Ma conditions for and queue during the day are none existent. In the evening for wz the prime time hours is 3 to 5 hours tops if lucky and even if one gets a pop there is no guarantee that the teams will be full. What is Ranked wz? Flashpoint pops are about the same way and they only pop a little more often then they used to before everyone got put into a tactical instead. I hatted the tactical at first but to me it saved the queue for flashpoints.

DreadtechSavant
05.13.2016 , 11:43 AM | #26
Don't know how many of these merge server threads there are now, but enough for me to now consider them SPAM.

Andryah
05.13.2016 , 11:53 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by DreadtechSavant View Post
Don't know how many of these merge server threads there are now, but enough for me to now consider them SPAM.
Spam goes well with eggs...not so well with popcorn though.

masterceil
05.13.2016 , 11:58 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Knorlac View Post
IMO
That may be your opinion - it certainly doesn't make it fact. And like I said, the possibility, however small, may exist. Had there been a unanimous cry of "YES, PLEASE!", it may even have been given serious consideration. However, reactions were mixed, which probably lessened the chances - if there ever was one - of another discount happening.

That Ben asked for further feedback does not mean that an impending discount is likely to happen. It just means they were asking for feedback. I wish they'd do that more often, really, but given reactions such as yours that take even a question like that as a promise of future actions, I completely understand why they don't.
Appreciate the help/snark in the above post? Click here to help me out!
Celestial ArgonautsCelestial Dreadnauts
Star Forged from the Ebon Hawk cacd.enjin.com

Andryah
05.13.2016 , 12:16 PM | #29
29 comments so far OP. Is that sufficient?

IvamAkorahil
05.13.2016 , 12:37 PM | #30
its getting there but may as-well go on while you guys are at it.
Brotherhood eternal www.theredorder.net