Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Interview with Charles Boyd.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Interview with Charles Boyd.

merovejec
05.13.2016 , 07:43 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Those reports don't just reflect "a month", though. That's three straight quarters, nine months, going up through the end of March.

I'm not saying to anyone "See, the game is doing well, therefore you personally and your friends should enjoy KOTFE!", but there seem to be a fair number of people who come on these boards to say "My friends and I don't personally enjoy KOTFE, therefore this game must be doing poorly!" and that's just not necessarily the case.
I really depends on the point of view. For example due to personal reasons i login to the game always after 10 pm. Before it wasnt an issue, now i dont get any pops for GSF or HM flashpoints, which i wanna do now for achievments. Also, no more operations being called after this time (since people are in bed or i dont know).

So for me I could say: the game is dead and in need of players. But that would be my point of view since i see no one doing ops, gsf or fps. However, there maybe another 100k players doing heroics, story, leveling etc at that moment. So important is the point of view.

JennyFlynn
05.13.2016 , 08:58 AM | #112
Those reports don't just reflect "a month", though. That's three straight quarters, nine months, going up through the end of March.

I'm not saying to anyone "See, the game is doing well, therefore you personally and your friends should enjoy KOTFE!", but there seem to be a fair number of people who come on these boards to say "My friends and I don't personally enjoy KOTFE, therefore this game must be doing poorly!" and that's just not necessarily the case.
That's a distinction many people seem to struggle with. If their personal preference/niche isn't being catered to in the exact way they want it then the game automatically sucks/is dying etc. If someone dares to highlight a positive that doesn't relate to another's personal preference then that person is automatically lying or delusional. It's sad but that seems to be the general way of thinking.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | Defying Destiny | SWTOR Prompt Oneshots @}}>---}-------

cambul
05.13.2016 , 09:16 AM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by JennyFlynn View Post
That's a distinction many people seem to struggle with. If their personal preference/niche isn't being catered to in the exact way they want it then the game automatically sucks/is dying etc. If someone dares to highlight a positive that doesn't relate to another's personal preference then that person is automatically lying or delusional. It's sad but that seems to be the general way of thinking.
i think most players look at a game in the vein of wanting the game to match their expectations, i shifted my way of looking at it years ago, now i always look at a game i want to play in terms of hoping what i want is in line with the majority, or profitable portion of the player base the game caters too much less drama, and makes it easier to move on if the fit isn't right. i have never understood folks paying money to haunt something they don't enjoy anymore.

DrewFromPhilly
05.13.2016 , 09:23 AM | #114
Well, the same could be said about players who actually enjoy kotfe - they're perfectly content, and if they're moreso focused on solo content anyway they're probably in a bubble and have no idea what the rest of the playerbase feels, but to them SWTOR is doing fine.

But any way you look at it, kotfe is not typical content in an mmo and it's also an abrupt change in the game to suddenly have solo story content as the primary focus for the foreseeable future. Players not interested in this are being asked to patiently wait for years for whatever content interests them, when in the past BW attempted to balance all of them at the same time.

This forced shift towards content many don't care about or don't enjoy is not welcome to many players, and to the players who do enjoy kotfe - what would you do if SWTOR ignored story content completely for 2 years and expected you to do flashpoints, pvp, or operations while paying $15/month for the duration?
Unsubscribed (Founder, Jan 2012 - Jan 2017) and uninstalled

Jedi_riches
05.13.2016 , 09:26 AM | #115
Yeah plus everyone is looking at this from different perspectives ie using different criteria to quantify the same information.

- For EA, its simply income whether its from Subs for from the cartel market it really means the same to them.

- For Players who like operations they use fleet populations since many raiders seem to ask in general chat rather than GF so they hang around on fleet mostly looking for groups.

- For PvP players their indicator is the frequency of warzone pops.

All criteria are equally valid and often conflict each other, I mean potentially you could have the following:-

Many casual players to the game who continue to play a sub but often only get the chance to play at the weekends, based on the above criteria you could have:-

- EA keep their income figures steady however,

- many casuals will never have bothered with PvP meaning you can have all the casuals you like but that is not saying they will all queue for a warzone

- many casuals when they do log on won't sit around on the fleet all the time as their time in the game is shorter, they will be anywhere but sitting on the fleet.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

Andryah
05.13.2016 , 09:37 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by cambul View Post
i think most players look at a game in the vein of wanting the game to match their expectations, i shifted my way of looking at it years ago, now i always look at a game i want to play in terms of hoping what i want is in line with the majority, or profitable portion of the player base the game caters too much less drama, and makes it easier to move on if the fit isn't right. i have never understood folks paying money to haunt something they don't enjoy anymore.
Very much agree.

I learned years ago that you either take MMOs "as is" or you move to greener pastures. IF I like it and am having fun, I keep playing. If not, I move on. And no.. my leaving is not going to hurt the studio as I'm sure for every person that leaves (regardless of reason) they are replaced by one or two others. The fact that we have over 19million unique forum member ids in this forum demonstrates that as far as I am concerned.

This modern bent to prosecute insurgencies in gaming forums is crazy IMO.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

peter_plankskull
05.13.2016 , 09:39 AM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Very much agree.

I learned years ago that you either take MMOs "as is" or you move to greener pastures. IF I like it and am having fun, I keep playing. If not, I move on. And no.. my leaving is not going to hurt the studio as I'm sure for every person that leaves (regardless of reason) they are replaced by one or two others. The fact that we have over 19million unique forum member ids in this forum demonstrates that as far as I am concerned.

This modern bent to prosecute insurgencies in gaming forums is crazy IMO.
I bet the same people with that mindset made Ride to Hell....

DarthDymond
05.13.2016 , 09:46 AM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by cambul View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by DrewFromPhilly View Post
Well, the same could be said about players who actually enjoy kotfe - they're perfectly content, and if they're moreso focused on solo content anyway they're probably in a bubble and have no idea what the rest of the playerbase feels, but to them SWTOR is doing fine.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi_riches View Post
Yeah plus everyone is looking at this from different perspectives ie using different criteria to quantify the same information.
Perfectly reasonable to only care about your own enjoyment when it comes to your relationship with an entertainment product, after all I don't care that FarmVille is popular / successful as all hell, it's still not for me. So I absolutely do not begrudge anyone who comes here to say "I think this direction for the game sucks" or "I want them to focus more on Ops/PVP/whatever" or "this game is dead to me", etc.

Where I do take issue is when people start blurring those sentiments into claims about the game being a failure overall - for example intimating that a dev must be full of crap if he says the game is popular or doing well.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

Jedi_riches
05.13.2016 , 09:51 AM | #119
Perfectly reasonable to only care about your own enjoyment when it comes to your relationship with an entertainment product,
Well I did go on and state that all are viable and reasonable criteria, but often they conflict.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

JennyFlynn
05.13.2016 , 09:59 AM | #120
Yip.

I play the game as is and make the most of it. While I'm enjoying myself I'll stick around and once that fades, I'll take a break or explore other things. I understand and appreciate there's aspects that could very well be improved but I also know that stressing about that, getting upset and winding myself up about those things is only going to destroy my own enjoyment with very slim chances that Bioware will actually be concerned with my concerns. Why would I do that to myself?

My personal 'niche' in this game, story content and solo'ish PvE, is doing fine. Yes I'd prefer it if my partner and I could actually do the chapters together (not side by side or with only 1 person progressing) but we can't. I'd like to see BW adjust that so you're not forced into doing it all alone but I'm also not going to let it hinder my enjoyment. The story itself isn't perfect or ideal, it's not what I could have chosen as my story but it is enjoyable nonetheless so I'm having a good time.

I can also see and understand that certain aspects of the game right now are lacking. I understand there's concerns regarding server populations that should be addressed even just via communication from BW themselves. I also know and understand the raiders feel rather snubbed and are dying for new content Operations wise and that PvP could use some touch ups too. Despite my own niche I'm not blind nor ignorant to the issues others have with the game and I do support those people even when it's not 'my' problem. I just wish more people could look at the broader picture rather than focus on their own preferences only and go into a constant verbal war with anyone who happens to have a different opinion/preference/point of view.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | Defying Destiny | SWTOR Prompt Oneshots @}}>---}-------