Make ignore list work for not only PVE but PVP too

Lhancelot

SF has an active exploiter right now, been going strong for 8-9 hours today, and was very active 2 days ago.

People reported him 2 days ago, and now today people have been leaving matches every time they find him in their match as well as reporting him. (Anyone doubting this please feel free to queue SF regs and see with your own eyes.)

Seeing it appears impossible for this behavior to be curbed by the games admin, I have a suggestion.

Make ignore work for WZs as they do for FPs and OPs.

Right now ignore will only separate players from those they have on ignore in PVE. If ignore worked for WZs players could essentially banish the offenders without even having to submit a ticket. Once everyone had the offender on ignore, the player simply would be unable to get a WZ match.

SF has an active exploiter right now, been going strong for 8-9 hours today, and was very active 2 days ago.

People reported him 2 days ago, and now today people have been leaving matches every time they find him in their match as well as reporting him. (Anyone doubting this please feel free to queue SF regs and see with your own eyes.)

Seeing it appears impossible for this behavior to be curbed by the games admin, I have a suggestion.

Make ignore work for WZs as they do for FPs and OPs.

Right now ignore will only separate players from those they have on ignore in PVE. If ignore worked for WZs players could essentially banish the offenders without even having to submit a ticket. Once everyone had the offender on ignore, the player simply would be unable to get a WZ match.

I agree they should do this but they won't. Troll and cheater sub money is more valuable than ours. Bioware must appease them at all costs, especially if it would hurt precious precious queue times.

All we can do is hope people keep dropping as soon as they see these ******* and hope most of their matches self-destruct so they never get to finish.

Bioware's not gonna do anything drastic enough to ever make these ******* feel their cheating and trolling isn't worth it and make them leave.

It IS pretty interesting how at this point people still find some reason to bother. I want to imagine these ******* sitting at a table with other ******* who screw around in other games, and say "yeah, I'm constantly cheating my way through SWTOR PvP" and the look of utter indifference at that statement from their fellow *******.

Oh come on. BioWare is on the verge of doing something that could shorten the queue times and now you want to destroy it into the ground right away.

I mean, just think about WHY the ignore list doesn't work for PvP and never did for that matter. It's when you understand this that you should realise that this is not a good idea.

Oh come on. BioWare is on the verge of doing something that could shorten the queue times and now you want to destroy it into the ground right away.

I mean, just think about WHY the ignore list doesn't work for PvP and never did for that matter. It's when you understand this that you should realise that this is not a good idea.

It should at least work to keep from being put on the same team as an ignored player. That wouldn't break the queues.

It should at least work to keep from being put on the same team as an ignored player. That wouldn't break the queues.

Yes it would. Let's say you, me and Tsillah are in the queue, but I have you on ignore. Tsillah and I can be grouped, you and Tsillah can be grouped, but all three of us can't be. Who gets grouped? The end result would be none of us and the queue would keep searching. It works in PvE because you're matching less players for one group. PvP you need two teams of 16. It would be even slower than it already is.

Then of course you'd have the l33t d00ds (wow, I haven't said that since SWG) trying to exploit the system by ignoring certain players to rig it in their favor.

Edited by kodrac

You'd end up with people ignoring everyone that's better than them in pvp so they can get matched against bad players and win more often, lol.

Yeah... this would be used to "cherry pick" your PvP to your advantage by some PvPers .. and is likely why it has never been allowed.

I get the OPs purpose here is to not group with people they do not want to be involved with in any way in game ... but it is also too prone to abuse in the context of PvP by PvPers. Just don't random group via queues and group with friends or guildmates you trust. Should be no issue with whatever d-bag is in the opposing group.. and in fact I would think you would want to kill-troll them if you can get your group to focus on them.

Edited by Andryah

I suggest having a guide that can log into games when these complaints come flooding in as they do whenever an offender is using exploits.

It shouldn't be that difficult for BW to allow some of their guides to log in and act on claims of hacks immediately to sort it out instead of allowing the behavior to run rampant for hours on end.

I was playing on a free emu server for EQ1, P99... There was a guy trolling a zone, pretending he needed to /duel them to use a porting device but instead of using it he would then beat them dead. This guy was taunting, being a real jack ***.

After people began sending in /petitions, a guide appeared out of nowhere, and literally nuked him dead... then they dropped his connection to the game. One guy in the zone even managed to be running fraps and recorded the entire episode which was pretty funny.

If a free ran emu server can manage to provide that kind of service, I am pretty sure BW can do it for swtor. They also need to streamline the reporting process it's not the easiest to navigate through and when someone is using an alt-coded name it's a bit more complicated trying to report them.

I like the harassment choice in /report as it records a period of time where people interact recording words written etc. There ought to be a "hacks/exploits" option that does the same thing because often times these dudes tend to be chatty and you can even tell by how they respond to people calling them hackers that they are doing it. More than once I have seen them down right admit it in /say.

Perhaps creating a PVP ignore function wouldn't be the answer, but the process to report exploiters could definitely be improved upon and having some guides in the game that can respond to infractions would be a great way to handle complaints.

Yes it would. Let's say you, me and Tsillah are in the queue, but I have you on ignore. Tsillah and I can be grouped, you and Tsillah can be grouped, but all three of us can't be. Who gets grouped? The end result would be none of us and the queue would keep searching. It works in PvE because you're matching less players for one group. PvP you need two teams of 16. It would be even slower than it already is.

Then of course you'd have the l33t d00ds (wow, I haven't said that since SWG) trying to exploit the system by ignoring certain players to rig it in their favor.

You would simply not be placed in a group in which I am placed. Or, I would not be placed in a group in which you are placed. Priority goes to whomever entered the queue first.

Yes, I realize that it gets more complicated as more people join the queue. But, keep the basic rule of "first come, first served" in place, unless and until a match can only be made by excluding that player and allowing in someone further down the queue. It's just math, right?

So just make a rule for ranked that the ignore list is, well, ignored. It can work for unranked and deactivated for ranked. What's the problem?

What's the difference of that vs your just leaving anytime you see the person you don't want to play with? The only way they'd be able to implement this is if they make it so the person who is doing the ignoring is the one who gets skipped in queue, even if they were in queue first (after all, there are a lot of reasons to ignore a person, not just hacking. Lord knows I have a lot more people on my ignore list because I don't like their personality than because I think they are hacking, and I'm sure I'm on some people's ignore list for the same reason, but there is no way I'd be ok with missing a pop because someone else didn't like something I said). And if they did that, now all the people who I'm ignoring I need to either unignore, and then listen to them when I don't want to, or miss pops. And I'm not ok with either of those options.

But wait! you ask. Can't BW just have 2 ignore lists? One where you don't listen, and one where you don't play with them? People so bad, that you would rather not get a pop then get in a WZ with them and just leave in 30 seconds? Meh, sure. If you wanna advocate for that, knock your socks off. I still won't be happy, cause it'll still cause the queus to slow down, and I think your time would be much better spent advocating for better and faster response to "hacking" then trying to convince BW to create a 2nd ignore list with different constraints, and different behaviors, and implement those different behaviors into PvP without breaking anything, but go for it.

EDIT:

You would simply not be placed in a group in which I am placed. Or, I would not be placed in a group in which you are placed. Priority goes to whomever entered the queue first.

Yes, I realize that it gets more complicated as more people join the queue. But, keep the basic rule of "first come, first served" in place, unless and until a match can only be made by excluding that player and allowing in someone further down the queue. It's just math, right?

Just to be clear, this simply does not work. PVP simply will not work if the healer that I was focusing last match (because he/she is a healer, and that is usually the optimal strat) decides he/she is annoyed I killed him/her 6 times, and so decide to ignore me, and then as punishment, I now have to wait longer for a PvP pop if they are sitting in the queue first. The only way a system like this works is if the person ignoring is the one excluded, otherwise, it is just as open to abuse as it would be in ranked.

Edited by LordTurin

Didn't really think this one through, did ya? And I doubt the exploited is worth more than players who would actively play/sub/spend/encourage others to join them and so on. I don't know where that idea comes from but it's clear that those kind of people are nothing but a detriment to a game's community. They have no real reason to spend ANYTHING if they're cheating/exploiting unless it's ranked.

As to why they're not taking care of those sort of people, maybe we'll never know. It's hard to prove people are cheaters because salt is a common ingredient in PVP and not everyone crying cheater/exploiter on the forums do so with good intentions. Let's see what they'll do in this PvP focused' expac.

It seems the solution then is to just keep living with it. Either take the cheating/exploiting with a big ****-eating grin on your face or enjoy it when the cheating/exploiting benefits you.

That's pretty much the response to every solution offered by the honest players who don't think first about how to exploit every gd thing. It'd be nice if Bioware acted on this with more spine, but since they don't/won't/can't I guess we should all join the "head in the ground" club and sthu.

Question: is my ignore list ignored when it comes to PvP queuing? Some people on my ignore list are there because of racist/sexist/need-to-be-in-prison-offensiveness. I do not want to be on their team. Can the game overrule our ignore lists purely to make PvP queues quicker? What is the point of a list if this is the case? Or is the OP asking for a purely PvP related list?

I proposed this idea just to see what others had to add. Sure, I didn't think it out as others have, but that's the point of creating a thread to a group of forumquesters. It's to bounce an idea around and see what others think of it and what they can add.

After people brought up points which are valid ones that make it hard to create an ignore list simply to keep out exploiters from the WZs I added a different thought in this thread on the matter which no one has responded to.

I used the example earlier of a free emu server for EQ1 that does it, they have guides that are unpaid who take care of trolls, hackers etc. by meeting them in game to watch the behavior personally. If a small free emu server can muster up this kind of customer service, surely BW/swtor can.

Why does BW not have active guides that can be logged in or can log in when harassers/exploiters are being reported to investigate the complaints in game in person? If a BW rep sees the activity with their own eyes they could absolve it instantly and the whole non-transparent reporting policy could be circumvented.

Question: is my ignore list ignored when it comes to PvP queuing? Some people on my ignore list are there because of racist/sexist/need-to-be-in-prison-offensiveness. I do not want to be on their team. Can the game overrule our ignore lists purely to make PvP queues quicker? What is the point of a list if this is the case? Or is the OP asking for a purely PvP related list?

The PvE ignore list guarantees you won't get into a group with them through Groupfinder.

The PvP ignore list does no such thing. It just makes them silent to you. They can and will be in your groups.

{We wouldn't want a slow down in queue pops, so just grin and bear it. Hopefully you'll be in the same groups with apologists and the exploiters/cheaters so at least you'll benefit.}

I proposed this idea just to see what others had to add. Sure, I didn't think it out as others have, but that's the point of creating a thread to a group of forumquesters. It's to bounce an idea around and see what others think of it and what they can add.

After people brought up points which are valid ones that make it hard to create an ignore list simply to keep out exploiters from the WZs I added a different thought in this thread on the matter which no one has responded to.

I used the example earlier of a free emu server for EQ1 that does it, they have guides that are unpaid who take care of trolls, hackers etc. by meeting them in game to watch the behavior personally. If a small free emu server can muster up this kind of customer service, surely BW/swtor can.

Why does BW not have active guides that can be logged in or can log in when harassers/exploiters are being reported to investigate the complaints in game in person? If a BW rep sees the activity with their own eyes they could absolve it instantly and the whole non-transparent reporting policy could be circumvented.

There was a pretty good discussion about this in a couple of toxicity in gen chat threads earlier this year. It's too much to hope anyone at Bioware would be paid to do this, and giving free reign to a few volunteers could raise fears of abuse and retribution in the hands of the wrong volunteers.

What they should do is re-assign the forum moderators to the game. These moderator droids are fast and effective. I'd rather my money was going to in game moderation than here, if I had a choice in the matter

What's the difference of that vs your just leaving anytime you see the person you don't want to play with? The only way they'd be able to implement this is if they make it so the person who is doing the ignoring is the one who gets skipped in queue, even if they were in queue first (after all, there are a lot of reasons to ignore a person, not just hacking. Lord knows I have a lot more people on my ignore list because I don't like their personality than because I think they are hacking, and I'm sure I'm on some people's ignore list for the same reason, but there is no way I'd be ok with missing a pop because someone else didn't like something I said). And if they did that, now all the people who I'm ignoring I need to either unignore, and then listen to them when I don't want to, or miss pops. And I'm not ok with either of those options.

But wait! you ask. Can't BW just have 2 ignore lists? One where you don't listen, and one where you don't play with them? People so bad, that you would rather not get a pop then get in a WZ with them and just leave in 30 seconds? Meh, sure. If you wanna advocate for that, knock your socks off. I still won't be happy, cause it'll still cause the queus to slow down, and I think your time would be much better spent advocating for better and faster response to "hacking" then trying to convince BW to create a 2nd ignore list with different constraints, and different behaviors, and implement those different behaviors into PvP without breaking anything, but go for it.

EDIT:

Just to be clear, this simply does not work. PVP simply will not work if the healer that I was focusing last match (because he/she is a healer, and that is usually the optimal strat) decides he/she is annoyed I killed him/her 6 times, and so decide to ignore me, and then as punishment, I now have to wait longer for a PvP pop if they are sitting in the queue first. The only way a system like this works is if the person ignoring is the one excluded, otherwise, it is just as open to abuse as it would be in ranked.

In your zeal you actually touched on something kind of brilliant. How about a /mute option? Doesn't affect queues of any kind, but you don't see any messages from that person. I'd totally get on board with that, because that's pretty much the only reason I use the ignore feature (which is rare, anyway).

Yeah, that's what's messed up about the system. Basically, the way ignore and pvp works now, it punishes the person who doesn't want to be around toxic players.

And people wonder why many players avoid pvp like the plague... :rolleyes:

In your zeal you actually touched on something kind of brilliant. How about a /mute option? Doesn't affect queues of any kind, but you don't see any messages from that person. I'd totally get on board with that, because that's pretty much the only reason I use the ignore feature (which is rare, anyway).

Ignore already does that part (muting). In PvP, that's ALL it does