What are the gear requirements to tank HM Flashpoints and SM EV/KP as a juggernaut?

Hi guys, so I recently began playing my tank juggernaut again after a switch to my dps scoundrel. Currently at 15,700 health, I've been running normal flashpoints but I want to get in on the Tionese/Columi gear soon and was wondering what the gear requirements for a juggernaut tank are for hardmode flashpoints and storymode EV and KP.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

14k+ hp was the minimum before recruit gear...I would say now that recruit gear makes that so easy you should not try HM FPs till you have about 15k. And try to get as much PvE gear as possible, the expertise is wasted item budget for tanking.

No reason not to run all the dailies at least once when you hit 50. The armoring and barrels/hilts are going to be a large improvement over your leveling gear. It really doesn't take long to get a fully fleshed out set. If you don't want to go the whole way the do enough dailies to get your armoring and hilts/barrels, get whatever mods and enhancements you can, and fill the rest of the slots with Corellia comms purchases.

Full daily mods will generally beat Tionese. It's definitely better than recruit. You'll make some nice coin along the way too.

I tried tanking hard mode FPs on my Juggernaut with a mix of Recruit/daily purple mods and it was fine. You may have issues when grouping with full Rakata DPS but you just Guard one and they will kill mobs incredibly fast anyway. Single target threat should not be a problem.

i was told by people in game that i needed 17K hp the dude whined and left over it.

Absolutely not necessary. I healed a recruit geared tank through Kaon very easily. I've healed daily/leveling gear tanks through other HM FP's as well.

Just remember not to stand in the stupid. I'm amazed everyday at how many people at this point in the game haven't figured out that standing in a targeting reticle or fire is bad for them. I can't count how many times I told people to get out of that droid in Malestrom's AoE. The one where he harpoons everyone pulls them in and blows up.

Keep clear of avoidable damage and everything should be fine.

Absolutely not necessary. I healed a recruit geared tank through Kaon very easily. I've healed daily/leveling gear tanks through other HM FP's as well.

Just remember not to stand in the stupid. I'm amazed everyday at how many people at this point in the game haven't figured out that standing in a targeting reticle or fire is bad for them. I can't count how many times I told people to get out of that droid in Malestrom's AoE. The one where he harpoons everyone pulls them in and blows up.

Keep clear of avoidable damage and everything should be fine.

that s good to know its not necessary ive spent ages getting 3 pieces of Bm gear one or two lvl 50 gear from false emperor nm and the daliy armor and hilt got to just under 18k.

maybe the dude wasnt talking to me but i felt that since we wiped on ironfist that it was my fault.

i was told by people in game that i needed 17K hp the dude whined and left over it.

I've done hard modes as a dps and as a healer with a tank around 14-15k. Sometimes it went well, and sometimes it didn't.

If you know how to play your class, you'll be 100% fine.

The times it went poorly, the tank couldn't hold aggro, didn't seem to be using taunts, and wasn't using guard correctly/at all.

When I see a low hp tank my only concern is do they know how to tank. I've never left a group over it though -- tanks are valuable!

Edited by JeffKretz

as a Jedi Guardian tank myself, i suggest at least 17k hp if u wanna tank an Op, cause the bosses hit pretty hard on the main tank. u can get that easy thru HMs and looting the columi pieces u need. Edited by Rerkk

Please do not wear full recruit into HM FPs and SM OPS. I have a full BH sage healer except the hilt and I have no problem helping under geared tanks move through content and get gear. I que for FPs all day really when I'm on since after thursday I have no more ops to do other then EC HM.

But showing up in full recruit is a slap in the face to pvers that started at the beginning, do your dailies and get the gear. I have no problem with beginners using some recruit here and there at the beginning but not the full set. Do your lead in work like we all did.

A friend of mine ran HM EV as a main tank in full recruit 30 minutes after he dinged 50. And before you ask, the rest of the group was mostly Columi.

Of course, he had run HM EV about 14 times successfully (as a tank) on his previous toon.

If you're very skilled and you really know the fights you can run ops in poor gear.

If you're not skilled and are unfamiliar with the fights, having excellent gear will help you through bad pulls and mistakes.

That said, I believe that pugging in full recruit is simply bad manners. If you're grouping with friends, do what you want.

People were running HM flashpoints in the very beginning with 13 to 14K in HP, since you didnt have the Tionese or Columni gear yet. So having 15k+ is nice but for HM FP not necessary, if you know what you are doing. But for people demanding that you have 17K+ in HP? I would recommend you stay away from them, since they probably have no clue what they are doing. :).

Please do not wear full recruit into HM FPs and SM OPS. I have a full BH sage healer except the hilt and I have no problem helping under geared tanks move through content and get gear. I que for FPs all day really when I'm on since after thursday I have no more ops to do other then EC HM.

But showing up in full recruit is a slap in the face to pvers that started at the beginning, do your dailies and get the gear. I have no problem with beginners using some recruit here and there at the beginning but not the full set. Do your lead in work like we all did.

I've played since beta, and sorry but what your saying is the stupidest thing I've read on the forums in a while. Basically because gearing up sucked in the early days, no one should be allowed to take advantage of easily accessible gear now a days? My last 2 50's I jumped right into HM's with full recruit, and I'll do it again and again, because it's better than grinding out dailies for some crap mods I'll replace in literally a few hours as I get better crap from anything else in the game.

I've played since beta, and sorry but what your saying is the stupidest thing I've read on the forums in a while. Basically because gearing up sucked in the early days, no one should be allowed to take advantage of easily accessible gear now a days? My last 2 50's I jumped right into HM's with full recruit, and I'll do it again and again, because it's better than grinding out dailies for some crap mods I'll replace in literally a few hours as I get better crap from anything else in the game.

Agreed. Grinding dailies for the gear which will become useless in no time... it's a huge waste.

Btw, tanks that are not comfortable with jumping into FPs and especially Ops in Recruit can spec DPS and run a bit in that role to accumulate some initial gear, after which tanking will be easier.