Whatever happened to mounts' "excellent protection from being knocked off"?

jimbothirtytwo

I've noticed that I regularly get knocked from my mount by white (standard) mobs recently. Have they removed the knocked-off protection from cartel mounts, or is it my imagination?

I suppose that it could be another consequence of the level-scaling fiasco. I've also noticed that my Shadow gets caught in stealth during FP's much more than she used to, despite being spec'ed into Misdirection which increases stealth level by 10. It's possible they use a similar hidden mechanic to increase your effective level. Just a wild guess.

So...it's not just me, right? :p

I don't think it does anything anymore. Seems to be entirely related to what % of your HP you take from the hit + how high your speeder skill is.

I've found that fresh characters with a speeder skill of 1 will get knocked off in one or two hits, whereas my level 75 with speeder 5 barely ever gets knocked off the same mount

The description has never applied to gold mobs and higher. An elite turret will knock you off any mount as you zoom past it or away from it.

Beyond that, there are certain of classes of mounts that certainly don't do anything despite the description of having excellent protection for being knocked off.

The worst class of mount that exposes the lie of the "excellent protection" description -- regardless of any formula involving player level / mob level / anything else that maybe involved -- is the Korrealis. Doesn't matter which one, Korrealis Countess, Duke, Duke SE, KL-1F, whatever, they're all trash when it comes to getting knocked off.

The Kurtob Alliance has somewhat decent protection but no mount I've found works as well as they used to.

Yeah, I'm not sure about this either. Excellent usually was reserved for the mounts that required speeder piloting 3. Most creature mounts don't have any knockoff protection specified in the description or tooltip. I probably get KOd from them as often as anything else. "Exceptional" protection was introduced with the cartel market Czerka Incendia podracer-type speeder and is a feature for several other Cartel Market mechanical mounts (including most of the podracer type ones.) The only non-cartel in game mount that has it is the KDY Load Lifter you buy with KDY construction kits from that flashpoint. I perceive a difference in frequency of KOs with the "Exceptional" ones compared to Excellent, so I *think* its still working.

The only "Extreme" KO protection mount is the Avalanche Heavy Tank, a drop from Nightmare Explosive Conflict. Extreme truly meant never, and it did work for a time. The tradeoff was that it was only 90% movement speed increase (essentially speeder piloting I) regardless of speeder piloting level. It was well worth it in many areas, like Section X and Oricon. Now I believe it is terribly bugged though, because when this mount had its speed "penalty" removed when all mounts became adaptive years ago, the KO protection broke. I've been /bugging it for years. I actually thought it might be fixed with 6.0, as I tried to drive it around Onderon. I don't seem to be knocked off quite as much as I did before, but I can still get knocked off, which shouldn't be the case. If the devs aren't willing to fix this without some tradeoff then they should just give it a "buff" that reduces movement speed by 20%. Then, the original intent of the speeder will still be in place but people who get the legacy perks all the way up to Speeder Piloting V will still have 110% movement speed. They've proven they can give all sorts of buffs while mounted because of the Titan 6 blinking red button, the 15% incoming damage reduction on some walkers, and the random speed effects of the Kai Zyken log mount reward.

The whole knock-off protection system needs to be adjusted. What I'd like to see is KO protection moved to speeder piloting skill. The higher one's skill the higher KO protection you have. Then they could give various vehicles an additional bonus to KO protection. For example, one step increase for increased protection and two steps increase for superior protection. So someone with SP1 using a +2 mount would have the same KO protection as someone with SP3, but still move at the speed of SP1. By doing this certain mounts that thematically afford more protection, such as the Avalanche Heavy Tank, give a benefit to using them, while at the same time we're not disadvantaged for wanting to use a creature mount, all of which seem to have -9000 KO protection because I seem to get knocked off if a mob merely sneezes in my direction even with piloting 5.

I suppose that it could be another consequence of the level-scaling fiasco. I've also noticed that my Shadow gets caught in stealth during FP's much more than she used to, despite being spec'ed into Misdirection which increases stealth level by 10. It's possible they use a similar hidden mechanic to increase your effective level. :p

Look at your utility: Mind Over Matter. Companions can also be a problem.

I see no change to stealth mechanics since the mid-5.0 buff.

....while at the same time we're not disadvantaged for wanting to use a creature mount, all of which seem to have -9000 KO protection because I seem to get knocked off if a mob merely sneezes in my direction even with piloting 5.

I'm pretty sure that creature mounts have had zero protection from the beginning. But yeah, they seem to be more fragile than a vendor credit vehicle like the Aratech Dagger or whatever, though the chance to get KO'ed should be the same.

The goal is to entice you to burn cc on cartel mounts.

Kurtob Alliance, was 'supposedly' the best one for KO protection, no idea if it still is, but it's the refer a friend mount.

I've been knocked off my 75, with speeder 5, on cartel mounts by thrash mobs........ something has changed/shifted. Same as the stealth.

Kurtob Alliance, was 'supposedly' the best one for KO protection, no idea if it still is, but it's the refer a friend mount.

I've been knocked off my 75, with speeder 5, on cartel mounts by thrash mobs........ something has changed/shifted. Same as the stealth.

No. The Kurtob Alliance’s special feature was that it always gave 110% movement speed increase (the equivalent of SP3) regardless of the speeder piloting level. It never had any special KO protection beyond excellent. It was sort of a perk for veterans rolling new characters. But it lost that perk when all mounts became adaptive.

The goal is to entice you to burn cc on cartel mounts.

If that is their intention then they are failing spectacularly. My favorite mounts are kybucks and tauntauns, both of which are CM mounts (yes, there are some in-game acquired tauntauns, but I'm talking about the CM versions) and neither of which, nor do any CM creature mounts (that I've noticed, and I have several), have any sort of KO protection whatsoever. As jimbothirtytwo stated, and what I meant by -9000 protection, the CM creature mounts seem to be particularly prone to KO.

No. The Kurtob Alliance’s special feature was that it always gave 110% movement speed increase (the equivalent of SP3) regardless of the speeder piloting level. It never had any special KO protection beyond excellent. It was sort of a perk for veterans rolling new characters. But it lost that perk when all mounts became adaptive.

It is still nice on a new character. Purchase SP1 and use the Kurtob for SP3 speed. I generally use my Kurtob until I get SP2, but sometimes I'll use it all the way to 3.

there was definitely an adjustment made based on level/gear.... just going by before and after the drop on the same characters before leveling and gearing.... it was much easier to be knocked off after 6.0, and still is to a smaller degree even at 75 / 306

• 7 months later...
Man, used to be able to cruise coruscant black sun area and not ever get knocked off on the Zakuulan Personal Dropship, now I can't even get past the first basic white mobs. Kinda make me sad ngl, but not that mad honestly, you could just cruise by an entire zone worth of XP, now I am forced to get it. :) extra leveling! Woot