New Playable Races

FOExSMASHER

Myself and some of my pals who also play SWTOR have been wanting to see more playable races come to the game. The small list of ideas we have are the following.

Jawa

Wookie

Ewok

Doid

Clearly a group of players who have not done any research on the topic then. Everyone of the 4 you have listed BW has already said no to.

On the plus side a new playable species will be available with 6.0 in September.

My suggestions though someone may have listed some or all of them previously:

Deveronians

Barabel

Rodian

Shistaven

Faleen

Bothan

Togorian

The are the ones that I believe they could do as they are "Humanoid" and according to the books all capable of speaking "Basic"

A couple I'd like to see but unlikely due to thing such as size as they are much taller on Average or other reasons:

Thackwash - equine Humanoid race - "Runt" from Wraith Squadron

Selkath - an I'm unsure they can speak Basic

Rakata - just doesn't seem likely and more of a would be cool kind of thing WotC D20 Star Wars RPG

Noghri - excellent Assassins from the Thrawn Trilogy - most likely no due to not being discovered yet, also size as they are about the smae size as Jawas andewoks

My suggestions though someone may have listed some or all of them previously:

Deveronians

Barabel

Rodian

Shistaven

Faleen

Bothan

Togorian

DevAronians, Rodians, Faleen and Bothans have all appeared in requests before, many times, and I'm pretty sure I've seen Shistaven before as well.

A common "justification" for adding new species is "the models are already in the game", but in fact, they aren't. There are *two* Devaronian models in-game, both male. The best names for them are "Tyresius Lokai" and "Gault Rennow". I think there are two Rodian models (with colour variations), one with a male body and one with a female body (er, it has breasts, that's how I know it's female).

Clearly the examples of Nautolans (supposedly coming in 6.0) and Cathar show that this isn't a total barrier, but it does invalidate the "of course it's easy to add because they already have the models" argument.

DevAronians, Rodians, Faleen and Bothans have all appeared in requests before, many times, and I'm pretty sure I've seen Shistaven before as well.

A common "justification" for adding new species is "the models are already in the game", but in fact, they aren't. There are *two* Devaronian models in-game, both male. The best names for them are "Tyresius Lokai" and "Gault Rennow". I think there are two Rodian models (with colour variations), one with a male body and one with a female body (er, it has breasts, that's how I know it's female).

Clearly the examples of Nautolans (supposedly coming in 6.0) and Cathar show that this isn't a total barrier, but it does invalidate the "of course it's easy to add because they already have the models" argument.

I'm not saying any of them would be easy because they would have a lot of work to do makeing teh models fit other body types. Ensuring they are capable or matching the movements to actions and weapons and Armors that they can wear to avoid clipping and other issues. There is no easy way to just add a new species and I'd never imply there was. I was just making my list of suggestions that I'd like to see knowing full well they most likely wouldn't happen.

I'm not saying any of them would be easy because they would have a lot of work to do makeing teh models fit other body types. Ensuring they are capable or matching the movements to actions and weapons and Armors that they can wear to avoid clipping and other issues. There is no easy way to just add a new species and I'd never imply there was. I was just making my list of suggestions that I'd like to see knowing full well they most likely wouldn't happen.

It's always good to see people's lists of prospective new species. For what it's worth, I would (before the announcement) have said that Nautolan wasn't going to work well, but it is apparently coming. At least Nautolans have human-shaped, -sized and -proportioned bodies, five-fingered hands, and are known to speak Basic. Some of the candidates that people propose don't even meet those criteria.

I am curious how they'll handle a Nautolan character in the KotFE "Lady of Sorrows" chapter (VII?) when Thea appears on holo. Both Koth and Senya say things that would sound incredibly stupid if the player is (like Thea) a Nautolan.

It's always good to see people's lists of prospective new species. For what it's worth, I would (before the announcement) have said that Nautolan wasn't going to work well, but it is apparently coming. At least Nautolans have human-shaped, -sized and -proportioned bodies, five-fingered hands, and are known to speak Basic. Some of the candidates that people propose don't even meet those criteria.

I am curious how they'll handle a Nautolan character in the KotFE "Lady of Sorrows" chapter (VII?) when Thea appears on holo. Both Koth and Senya say things that would sound incredibly stupid if the player is (like Thea) a Nautolan.

If they change it I would say at most they would simply do a race check and then simply have Koth or Senya not say anything by completely cutting out that part of the conversation.

I would have said they might not change it at all as there was that one quest on Ord Mantell with the Cathar but that quest is seen by fewer people as you have to be a smuggler or trooper and you have to actually do that quest; these days I think you even have to have exploration quests actually turned on to even see the quest. However, more people may see Ch. 7 of KotFE as it covers all classes and isn't a side quest. But then again they may just assume that most people will skip KotFE/KotET and still won't bother making changes. I guess we'll find out.

Why change it, while the Outlander/Commander is a "sole" hero and their presence expected the Average Citizen Species from the Pub and Empire aren't really seen in that area of space except for Zakul Humans so there would be no need to change that once line or scene

If they change it I would say at most they would simply do a race check and then simply have Koth or Senya not say anything by completely cutting out that part of the conversation.

I would have said they might not change it at all as there was that one quest on Ord Mantell with the Cathar but that quest is seen by fewer people as you have to be a smuggler or trooper and you have to actually do that quest; these days I think you even have to have exploration quests actually turned on to even see the quest. However, more people may see Ch. 7 of KotFE as it covers all classes and isn't a side quest. But then again they may just assume that most people will skip KotFE/KotET and still won't bother making changes. I guess we'll find out.

Indeed. Koth's remark is slightly stupid, something along the lines of, "I think I've seen once of those before, back in your part of the galaxy." Senya, on the other hand says approximately, "I've never seen a species like that," which would make her sound like a complete idiot.

As you say, we'll find out.

Why change it, while the Outlander/Commander is a "sole" hero and their presence expected the Average Citizen Species from the Pub and Empire aren't really seen in that area of space except for Zakul Humans so there would be no need to change that once line or scene

No, what SteveTheCynic says is correct. Senya does say something along the lines of, "I've never seen a species like that before" which would sound incredibly stupid if the player character is a Nautolan themselves - because obviously Senya HAS seen a species like that before. Even what Koth says would sound pretty silly if the player character is a Nautolan.

WOOKIE ftw…

I've seen past threads about devs stating the difficulty/ impossibility of some "non-humanoid" races or non-standard humanlike bodies/ and speech issues. Perhaps the pairing of cosmetics to the body is a brutal task?

I'd love to see an expansion including Kashyyyk which introduced playable Wookie's tho..

-Ashur

Myself and some of my pals who also play SWTOR have been wanting to see more playable races come to the game. The small list of ideas we have are the following.

Jawa

Wookie

Ewok

Doid

There are 2 primary restrictions to any new playable race being added to the game.

1.) They MUST speak Basic as their primary language. Jawa, Ewok, and Wookie do not speak basic EVER.

2.) They MUST be able to fit on a Human Size Skeleton so that existing gear will fit. Jawa and Ewok are too SMALL and Wookie is too BIG. Not even a Droid since they can not wear Human gear and there is NO Droid gear.

Jawa

Wookie

Ewok

Doid

Also besides the armor and needing to speak basic there is also the romance options. Any new races have to work with all existing and future romance options.

It's all a template with a different shell. They won't make romance changes based on specific races.

Therefore any new races must have basic human facial structure such as lips to work with kissing scenes. If they don't, they would not be added as a playable race.

• 4 weeks later...

Just figured I'd chime in and give my little list as to what races I would love to see in the game.

Some may have been mentioned earlier in the post, but I'll mention them again cause I wanna see them too!

Selkath (We meet them on Manaan, both as force users and not so should be viable)

Voss / Gormak (These we meet on Voss and have been ingame since the beginning, dont see why they havent made it to a playable race yet.)

Kaleesh (Well, cause they're awesome. We do meet quite a few of them along the way so I think it should be possible)

Chagrian (Dont meet many of these, and All we've met are male, but if Togruta are possible, these should be too imho)

Devaronian (These cause they are cool, They're probably not viable since we only meet like 2 of them in entire game (afaik) but I think they should be a playable race)

Esh-kha (These.. Probably not viable as a playable race at all, but I find them very cool, and would loove to play one)

Selonian (These... THESE! Yes please! I want to play as a cat/squirrel/rodent thing!, jks. anyway I think they're pretty cool viable or not.)

> Kel Dor

I like this species. However we literally never seen a female one.

> Shistavanen

Just your avarage wolfman-like species. According to Wookiepedia, they can speak Basic.

> Twi'ruta

I know I know, you wonder "What the heck is that species?". Well, I made it up during an RP because it reminds me to both Togruta and Twi'lek species. Thus I crossovered the species name. They speak Basic, but in a way like an American would try to speak Hungarian, so pretty broken and somewhat accent-ish. Picture is not mine.

https://comps.canstockphoto.com/humanoid-alien-clipart_csp60050417.jpg

Edited by DanielAstrol

Selkath (We meet them on Manaan, both as force users and not so should be viable)

Do they speak Basic, ever? Do they have human-shaped mouths so they can participate in romances? etc.

Voss / Gormak (These we meet on Voss and have been ingame since the beginning, dont see why they havent made it to a playable race yet.)

Lore gibberish on an epic scale.(1) Both are too tall. Voss are also too thin.

(1) Can you imagine going to Voss *as* a Voss, and being told that you can't do X or Y or Z because you aren't Voss? What about arriving on Voss as a Gormak Inquisitor and being told that Gormak aren't allowed to leave the planet? Or, for the same character, when the Gormak that helps you tells you that you are Voss?

Kaleesh (Well, cause they're awesome. We do meet quite a few of them along the way so I think it should be possible)

Well, they speak Basic, at least (ref: Xalek) and they aren't too tall, but they'd be the only species that doesn't have a human face and five-fingered hands.

Chagrian (Dont meet many of these, and All we've met are male, but if Togruta are possible, these should be too imho)

Reasonable. I don't know what female Chagrians are supposed to look like, though.

Devaronian (These cause they are cool, They're probably not viable since we only meet like 2 of them in entire game (afaik) but I think they should be a playable race)

The lack of models is neither here nor there. In the base game there are only four different Cathar models (male with mane, male without mane, female, Aric Jorgan), but we have playable Cathar anyway. More serious is the *total* lack of female Devaronians in-game (coupled with their different appearance).

Esh-kha (These.. Probably not viable as a playable race at all, but I find them very cool, and would loove to play one)

Doesn't speak Basic, too tall, wonky face, weird legs.

Selonian (These... THESE! Yes please! I want to play as a cat/squirrel/rodent thing!, jks. anyway I think they're pretty cool viable or not.)

To each his own, I guess. Again, not known (in in-game lore) to speak Basic, odd heads, weird hands, weird legs, and that tail. That would misbehave on just about *all* armour sets.

)

Yes, in the name of our holy lady Darth Maladi, yes please!

I was so disappointed when devs picked Nautolans, these are so blank and boring for me compared to Devaronians.

• 3 weeks later...
Do they speak Basic, ever? Do they have human-shaped mouths so they can participate in romances? etc.

Lore gibberish on an epic scale.(1) Both are too tall. Voss are also too thin.

(1) Can you imagine going to Voss *as* a Voss, and being told that you can't do X or Y or Z because you aren't Voss? What about arriving on Voss as a Gormak Inquisitor and being told that Gormak aren't allowed to leave the planet? Or, for the same character, when the Gormak that helps you tells you that you are Voss?

Well, they speak Basic, at least (ref: Xalek) and they aren't too tall, but they'd be the only species that doesn't have a human face and five-fingered hands.

Reasonable. I don't know what female Chagrians are supposed to look like, though.

The lack of models is neither here nor there. In the base game there are only four different Cathar models (male with mane, male without mane, female, Aric Jorgan), but we have playable Cathar anyway. More serious is the *total* lack of female Devaronians in-game (coupled with their different appearance).

Doesn't speak Basic, too tall, wonky face, weird legs.

To each his own, I guess. Again, not known (in in-game lore) to speak Basic, odd heads, weird hands, weird legs, and that tail. That would misbehave on just about *all* armour sets.

My post was more meant, as what Ideas -I- had for new races, Granted some of them dont make sense if you think deeper on it, but it was ideas frm my head. Not opinions for you to shoot down.

As for the Voss / Gormak situation, Given that since the game came out, the ingame "timeline" has moved forwards, does it not stand to reason, that the views of the voss could've changed to something else? Yes I believe so. Voss are humanoids, so the romance options are viable, they speak basic, yes. So the only thing that actually stands in the way, is an archaic outdated story for the voss, that hasnt been updated since the game launched. (Neither has any of the pre expansion stuff but still!)

Edited by AndersNielsen

I would love to have the possibility to play as Kel Dor or Mon Calamari. Sullustan would be also great but I doubt it.

Nautolans are on their way in 6.0 and this suggestion keeps coming up every other month since it is one of the most requested features on this forum, i seriously doubt EA isn't aware of how much interest there are in other species.

I've seen this come up from time to time... I'm not so sure about the new race coming... but I have often wondered about the Wookie !!

I have to admit ... that just might be interesting. As for romance options .. surely BW knows how to handle that in a proper fashion !! I just don't see Lana with a Wookie ... sorry that might be too much of a stretch !

;)

Nautolans are on their way in 6.0 and this suggestion keeps coming up every other month since it is one of the most requested features on this forum, i seriously doubt EA isn't aware of how much interest there are in other species.

YUP !! New playable races as well as new class requests AND better interaction (some repeatable) with companions. You can almost bet that one of those will pop up frequently !!

Give up the old restrictions (basic language, romance able mouths, etc) and just give us All The Races. If you think people wont make out with tentacle faced butt nosed monster people that speak foreign languages then you must be new to the internet.