How does AP fair against specs?

Meer_

I started playing back my powertech, after the 2.4 buff, currently it's at 27 and I'd say it's really awesome. I have noticed there has been more powertechs lately.

I read some about powertechs, they're great at pre-30 but starts to lose steam after 30 compared to other classes. I pvp quite a lot but i still do pve for the faster leveling.

So is AP powertechs competitive enough to fair against the top dps classes? Hands down I'll agree marauders/snipers are the best dps classes, but as compared to lightning sorcs/arsenal mercs, does it hold a candle against them?

I started playing back my powertech, after the 2.4 buff, currently it's at 27 and I'd say it's really awesome. I have noticed there has been more powertechs lately.

I read some about powertechs, they're great at pre-30 but starts to lose steam after 30 compared to other classes. I pvp quite a lot but i still do pve for the faster leveling.

So is AP powertechs competitive enough to fair against the top dps classes? Hands down I'll agree marauders/snipers are the best dps classes, but as compared to lightning sorcs/arsenal mercs, does it hold a candle against them?

AP is very competitive in PvP now and from what I hear also very competitive in PvE too. I can only speak from my experience in PvP ranked arenas in which I played 15-20 last weekend. As an AP PT I was on par with a very good smash mara on my team and more often than not I beat him. I have pulled over 1600 DPS/sec in arena and I am sure other classes have definitely beaten this but in the games I have been in it has been the highest I have seen (inclusive of all specs). In terms of 1 v 1. I believe PT can beat every class 1 v 1 given the right scenario. I think AP should (against equal skill level) beat every other class in the game if played properly. However, in high end I think operative healers and sin will win everything being equal. AP definitely beats smash mara in 1 v 1 and also snipers if you start within 10 metres. Pyro beats annihilation in 1 v 1.

As Koozie mentioned, AP PT is very darn powerful right now. AP is actually too powerful against all melee classes, wither its marauder, sin or jugg. Also does pretty well against ranged, due to hydraulic overrides and 10 meter range on most attacks. AP as it stands, does not have substantial weakness, but some other melee classes have better DCDs. By all means, AP PT right now is one of the few optimal specs as dps in PvP. PvE wise, I heard its good, but I have not done any end game PvE recently.

For PvE I don't think AP is on par with snipers or maras or mercs, but they certainly aren't gimped like, say, Assassin DPS in PvE is.

For PvP, DPS PTs are probably the best melee spec you can run for countering snipers (AP is IMO better than Deception Sins, especially against Engineering) and can beat most other melees 1v1. Pyro is better for killing sorc healers and Annihilation marauders, but you probably won't see either in most arenas. AP crushes Smash, which is still hugely popular.

Overall it's a really good DPS PvP spec. Lots of consistent damage, not quite as bursty as most of the other viable arena specs, but the utility and AoE makes up for that.

AP's biggest strength (consistency) is also it's biggest weakness in that it isn't stellar in any particular area. While other classes can burst DPS or have strong defensive CDs, AP is pretty even across the board.

When 1v1 against other classes, you learn to spot the spikes in their damage output and make adjustments. You learn the animations and ability icons so that you can adapt your own strategy to counter them. You can't do that against AP because the pressure is constant, with the exception of PFT, and when played right, there's very little anyone can do to counter it anyway.

I have a 55 PT and Jugg. I came back for arenas after a break. I just started dusting it off and did some regs. I had 0 gear. Was still in my lvl 50 Elite WH stuff that no longer has expertise. I was surprised at how well I faired. I was actually the top performer in a Novara cost! (Suppose it says more about my competition) I'm falling in love all over again. I really love my Juggernaut. But when I play him I feel like I'm working my *** off. With my PT it feels like easy mode by comparison. Oh and koozie I hadn't played in a while, read your guide, found it to be a perfect theory craft. I pretty Much hadn't played since 2.0 and didn't know what to think about shoulder cannon. Your examples of when to use it for bursting were so spot on. I didn't know how to feel about it and now I really love it. Edited by GregAlia