Feedback request from James Ohlen: PvP

StephenReid

Hey everyone! James Ohlen, Game Director for Star Wars: The Old Republic, would like to solicit some feedback from the community on weekly basis.

He's going to be taking feedback directly via his Twitter account, but if you're not on Twitter, we're going to reproduce his question here and would love to get your feedback here too.

Please limit your feedback to the question James wants discussed. Feel free to link to other threads and please keep your feedback constructive and on-topic!

Here is James' question for this week:

If you could make one change to PVP in SWTOR, what would you want it to be?

Remember, you can follow James on Twitter @JamesOhlen; you can follow our main account @SWTOR.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less crowd control abilities or some variant of diminishing returns and more of a focus on proper mana/energy usage conversely as a result.

As an aside, I don't feel like the bolster mechanic has any value in level 50 bracketed PvP.

Edited by DarkenedLight

I'd like to see some more strategy to PVP. In some ways, huttball is a great zone, because it has hazards that have to be avoided, or can be used against your enemies.

If there was some warzones/open world that allowed the ability to man turrets, set up traps, or change the environment in some way, there would be a lot more dimension than the typical zerg.

Of course, that probably falls outside the realm of one change, doesn't it? :)

I wish it was more integrated into the rest of the game. Right now it feels like something completely separate. I'd like to see PvP as part of the story of every world (or at least multiple worlds) and have a real impact on the game world.

More encounters with the opposite factions out in the open world while leveling, questing or doing end game dailies. Open world PVP is at its based when its a spur of the moment encounter that escalates. And valor gain everywhere, as long as the level difference is minimal, to avoid 50 camping lowbies. Edited by JFTremb

cross faction chat please this is a must in my opinion since we are not playing any X elvish game all races know GALACTIC BASIC.

Ilum would turn to a battleground with different objectives like each class with a different role to turn the tides of the war.You would understand what i mean by remembering Starwars Galaxies Headquarter take down progress.

making darth and master title a pvp rank would also be a good idea

Make melee classes (Sith Assassin/Jedi Shadow especially!) more viable in Huttball!

ur joking right? then either your assasins/ shadows are bad, or the other classes are dam good at stopping an invisible target, if any class you were to mention how about operatives.

But at topic at hand, remove expertise. pvp should be about skill and a bit of luck

Some type of reward for Open World pvp. Currently there is no reason or interest for people to go out and kill others the opposite faction outside of WZ and Ilum. Obviously there shouldnt be a reward for a vast gap in levels(Ie. Ganking lowbies)

James,

I also tweeted you this.. but I wanted to elaborate. I'm a Day 1 Pre-Launch member, but I've yet to participate in PvP. So, if i have one thing to request, it would be for the SWTOR team to give me a reason to PvP other than rank bragging rights.

I like the idea of warzone, open world, versus matches, etc. I am not a fan of, but understand the need for a PvP stat and rewarding those with items/armor. However, I don't see a reason for why I would participate in something that is essentially a grind for a different type of gear.

I would love to see more persistent world objectives, quests and events (perhaps one-time) that sway the battle. PvP may not always need to be about combat.. I understand some servers have lopsided populations, however, % of participation as opposed to shear number may be able to mitigate some issues.

I would encourage you guys to think about tying non-player-combat dailies, crafting and even boss kills in to the greater PvP picture. Kill a world boss, complete dailies, craft x item all for the greater good of the Alliance/Sith.

The reward for this? control over space, planets, a faction wide buff. I'd like to support my faction with something more benign and with something I already participate in without having to grind through yet another set of items in order to be viable.

remove expertise, or at least change the way it works now, pvp in it's current form feels like showing up pays off more than doing anything because you are useless for most of the gear grind anyways Edited by Romanticyde

Hey everyone! James Ohlen, Game Director for Star Wars: The Old Republic, would like to solicit some feedback from the community on weekly basis.

He's going to be taking feedback directly via his Twitter account, but if you're not on Twitter, we're going to reproduce his question here and would love to get your feedback here too.

Please limit your feedback to the question James wants discussed. Feel free to link to other threads and please keep your feedback constructive and on-topic!

Here is James' question for this week:

If you could make one change to PVP in SWTOR, what would you want it to be?

Remember, you can follow James on Twitter @JamesOhlen; you can follow our main account @SWTOR.

Similar to what is in Warhammer, I would love for PvP "lakes" on each planet, most especially to add some open world PvP dynamics for PvE servers. Some of the best open world PvP I've experienced in my MMO gaming has been on a core server in WAR, hunting other players down in the PvP lakes.

However, this change might not be possible without changing a lot of the layout of the planets, so my second most wanted change in PvP is the complete removal of the Expertise stat. PvP stats are a very bad move, and only promote grinding gameplay where gear overshadows skill. People will sit there and worry more about gaining medals in Warzones (to get the end result of more valor and better PvP gear) instead of actually trying to win the match.

Edited by GamewizX