Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vanguard: Tanking and You

Riulassher
02.18.2012 , 11:08 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by tobarstep View Post
This would be more about reading tooltips carefully. The tooltip for guard clearly says it transfers damage from enemy players. Now, I know a lot of people (even experienced players) totally missed that for the longest time, but it is right there in the description. Such a damage transfer would be suicidal in most PvE boss fights anyway.
Not really. It was working in PVE in WAR, which had the last iteration of Guard mechanic before SWTOR. It was very useful against the worst spikes of bosses, when tanks could crossguard each other and distribute the damage. That said, healing in WAR was a lot more focused on group heals than here.

I was also suprised when I discovered it didn't transfer damage in PVE. That was on level 35 or so

Kaigen
02.19.2012 , 09:26 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I've tested Ion jolts as well...some mechanic involving it is broken for sure. Not sure why it's so underwhelming but it needs to be repaired. Also, blaster Augs/SS Damage shouldn't be taken over the Endurance talent post 50 anyway. Both are underwhelming compared to the exponential health increase of End. by %
The endurance talent isn't exponential, it's a percentage increase. And what's underwhelming is the 500-600 extra hp I'd get for sinking 3 talent points into it at level 50 with endgame gear. That said, something is definitely up with Ion Jolts, so Blaster Augs is of questionable usefulness.

RocNessMonster
02.22.2012 , 10:56 AM | #73
Pulse Cannon is a good filler while your waiting for other cooldowns to replenish. It cost 3 cells but under fast charge you gain 1-2 cells while it channels. This reduces the overall cost of the skill to 1 cell.
I need about tree fitty.

GreenLantern
02.28.2012 , 01:48 PM | #74
I used the wrong term when i said exponential. what I meant to say was the endurance talent has increasing returns the more endurance you get. To say that 650 hp for 3 talent points is underwhelming is a gross underestimation of HP and the value of that much HP though. Experienced tanks would tell you that 650 hp is a huge boon at an extremely low cost.
Gary was here. Ash is a loser!
<Rude Dudes>

va_wanderer
03.05.2012 , 01:55 PM | #75
Relevant to this, from elsewhere.

The full thread can be found here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=341126

Basically:

Quote:
Summary / TL;DR version:
- Cloud Mind and all other class threat dumps (except those below) drop threat by 25%.
- Extrication, Intercede, and Force Camo (and mirrors) set the target's threat to 0.
- You need 30% more than the tank's threat to pull aggro, even in melee range (unless you're really close to the target).
- Taunt generates either 10% or 30% of your current threat (depending on how close you are to the target, see above bullet), even if you are the mob's current aggro target.
- Applying buffs generates either zero or an extremely small amount of threat, even ones involved with healing like Static Barrier/Force Armor.
- Threat multipliers stack multiplicatively (ie. an attack that generates 50% additional threat, done by a tank that does another 50% additional threat, would generate 225% of damage as threat).
This makes Neural Jolt/Sonic Round interesting in that they're actually threat -generators- for a tank if he's already ahead of the game, especially if he can get outside 4m to fire them off- say on mobs that have channeled abilities.
Help unify PvP and PvE content- PvP+E! http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=298731

zebrawizard
03.08.2012 , 08:01 PM | #76
yea ion jolts seem to be messed up. still took the point because i didnt know what else to put it in.

For HM, i tank with improved riot strike, as the 6 second riot strike means you can interrupt a spell from ever being casted by a boss, as it will lock out for 4 seconds, and your riot strike will just come off cooldown while they try and cast the spell again, for me that mitigates alot more damage than some extra shield %.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GorrdoroGZMsrbo.1

tried without gut, but i felt the extra damage move filled the gap sometimes. (and its nice to have another ability :P )

also i disagree with using sticky grenade, the damage is too low to be worth 2 ammo. id rather use the extra ammo and whack out a pulse cannon vs groups, as its the most damage-ammo move we have, not to mention we can recharge ammo whilst its channeling.

another thing, i dont agree gut is better than energy blast. how can it ever be? energy blast GIVES an energy cell, meaning you can dish out more damage. Gut costs 2 energy meaning you get less chance to use abilities.. not to mention gut can only be used every 15 seconds to be effective. Even though gut offers more damage than energy blast, is that extra damage worth 3 ammo potential by using energy blast instead?

Ricktur
08.23.2012 , 10:13 PM | #77
why isnt this a sticky any more?
Sgt. Boos Macarrage - Republic Trooper/Vanguard - PVE Tank Spec
Prophecy of the Five - US East PVP
Republic Commandos: First Ones In, Last Ones Out. Never Quit. Never Fail.

_gideon
08.24.2012 , 07:17 AM | #78
Because it's not a good guide?

RundoSim
08.25.2012 , 02:15 AM | #79
Not that it's not a good guide. It's outdated and hasn't been kept up.

Kytea
08.27.2012 , 09:34 AM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by RundoSim View Post
Not that it's not a good guide. It's outdated and hasn't been kept up.
Good point
OP does say "last update 20-Feb-2012"

Would be nice if a good vanguard tank grabbed the relay stick and re-started an up-to-date Vanguard tanking guide.
I just rolled one and am progressing, I'd be looking forward to a new guide