Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Vanguard: Tanking and You


Escaflownae's Avatar


Escaflownae
08.19.2013 , 10:11 AM | #91
Corrected grammer and powertech translations and added Threat section.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the strength to do what is right in the face of it.

Need a referral? Here you go

LordKantner's Avatar


LordKantner
08.27.2013 , 08:00 PM | #92
Why on earth is Pulse Cannon not in either the Single target or the Multiple Target rotation? Even unproced its good damage vs. the ammo its consuming.
Severity Gaming
Kantner - Commando AS / Kingslaya - Mercenary Pyro
Commando - Assault Specialist 2.6 PvE Guide
Gunship Record Holder For Top Kills In GSF

unluckyperson's Avatar


unluckyperson
10.23.2013 , 01:29 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by LordKantner View Post
Why on earth is Pulse Cannon not in either the Single target or the Multiple Target rotation? Even unproced its good damage vs. the ammo its consuming.
I second this, though I only use Pulse Cannon when I get the free 1.5 second cast.

I would like to know why Storm -> Stock Strike -> Hammer Shot?

Why not Storm -> Stock Strike -> High Impact Bolt -> Hammer Shot?

Storm doesn't take ammunition and Stock Strike doesn't take so much ammunition that you're not losing full regen by the time you do High Impact Bolt.

Though I think a bigger problem is that the links you have for builds seem to be level 47 ones, at least from what I see.

On a side note, why Explosive Surge 2x after a Storm? You'd be at full ammo, when you could do Pulse Cannon or Mortar Volley then hit the 2 explosive Surges while your ammunition regenerates. (because your build suggestion says you spec into Static Surge)

Banthabreeder's Avatar


Banthabreeder
07.07.2014 , 03:55 PM | #94
The talent links are outdated. Doesn't give full talent build.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GMGrdorogzZ0cZbc.1
“Don’t call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease.”

Uber_the_Goober's Avatar


Uber_the_Goober
07.09.2014 , 09:23 AM | #95
You typed so hard, and said so much, but in the end, it doesn't even matter.
POT5 COMMANDO - CAPTAIN OBV'IOUS
SENTINEL - PICKLE'JAR

AMONG OTHERS...
See you in the warzones, muppets.

voltaicbore's Avatar


voltaicbore
02.14.2015 , 04:50 PM | #96
Apologies for a necro, but since this is stickied and so prominent in the forum, I just had to say something.

I find it absolutely shocking that unless I missed something, only ONE poster directly referred to the idea that Energy Blast boosts your absorb by a whopping 25%. Sure, some of the hardest hitting mob moves end up cutting right past shield, but there are plenty of situations where the tank is drawing tons of shieldable damage. Energy refund, AND absorb? Really hard to justify passing this up.

Not that it really matters in the 3.0 world, with the way disciplines are set up. However, any new folks just reading the first post and a few pages here and there NEED to know that EB is not just damage & energy refund.

justinplainview's Avatar


justinplainview
02.15.2015 , 11:27 AM | #97
Respectfully, this guide is very out of date (check last change date on OP) and should be unstickied- it's no longer relevant.

Jethsidi's Avatar


Jethsidi
02.15.2015 , 01:45 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by justinplainview View Post
Respectfully, this guide is very out of date (check last change date on OP) and should be unstickied- it's no longer relevant.
Seconded.

Aienir's Avatar


Aienir
02.16.2015 , 08:00 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by voltaicbore View Post
Apologies for a necro, but since this is stickied and so prominent in the forum, I just had to say something.

I find it absolutely shocking that unless I missed something, only ONE poster directly referred to the idea that Energy Blast boosts your absorb by a whopping 25%. Sure, some of the hardest hitting mob moves end up cutting right past shield, but there are plenty of situations where the tank is drawing tons of shieldable damage. Energy refund, AND absorb? Really hard to justify passing this up.

Not that it really matters in the 3.0 world, with the way disciplines are set up. However, any new folks just reading the first post and a few pages here and there NEED to know that EB is not just damage & energy refund.
My friend is the one who wrote this guide and cracked up on TS about your post, outdated guide is outdated. He hasn't played in a very very long time.

And yes, I posted here so he can get a notification in his email.

/poke.
Raif
PRIME DEFENSE
◈WebsiteChatRecruitmentForums◈
The Tenacious ※ The Vigilant ※ The Prime

voltaicbore's Avatar


voltaicbore
02.16.2015 , 11:20 AM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Aienir View Post
My friend is the one who wrote this guide and cracked up on TS about your post, outdated guide is outdated. He hasn't played in a very very long time.

And yes, I posted here so he can get a notification in his email.

/poke.
LOL thanks for giving him the heads-up. And yes, I *did* notice how long ago the last update was, but it's still stickied and pretty much the first thing in the class forum here. It was too prominent not to say something, I thought.

Your friend can laugh all he wants - I still think it's a terrible idea to put forth a vanguard tanking class guide specifically for newer players and never once mention EB has a huge mitigation aspect to it. The only excuse would be if EB had no mitigation bonus attached to it at the time this guide was still being updated, but as far as I remember EB always had that 25% abs boost. Could be wrong about that though, and apologies if I am.

I also second the idea of getting this un-stickied until it's updated for 3.x.