Why even have a Staggered release?

GreenLantern

Obviously you have to assume that an AAA MMORPG has the required hardware, software and personnel to successfully absorb the punishment taken from hundreds of thousands trying to log in during a launch of a game, which will inevitably happen on the 20th anyways, so what exactly is the point? The reward for pre-ordering on the first minute seems outweighed by the punishment for not. This seems like something an intern thought would be cool rather than a well thought out plan by a major game developer. I just don't get it; help me out here.

Obviously you have to assume that an AAA MMORPG has the required hardware, software and personnel to successfully absorb the punishment taken from hundreds of thousands trying to log in during a launch of a game, which will inevitably happen on the 20th anyways, so what exactly is the point? The reward for pre-ordering on the first minute seems outweighed by the punishment for not. This seems like something an intern thought would be cool rather than a well thought out plan by a major game developer. I just don't get it; help me out here.

They do have the required software and hardware. Top of the line.

There exists precisely zero hardware and software on this green planet that can take the numbers of people waiting to get in to this game, which is, so far, unprecedented. None. Zip.

Thus, a staggered release was absolutely a good idea.