Trooper or Smuggler?

ElijahStarfire

If you want a ranged trooper, you take Commando, not Vanguard.

Both Commando and Gunslinger have great ranged AOE and make PvE leveling a breeze. Both play pretty stationary, with the 'slinger using the cover system (not as important as it used to be though). Commando has heavy armor and some healing capability, so points for survivability. But slinger probably has more output from his AOE spam.

Story-wise, I prefer the Smuggler. Lots of great snide quips, and one of the best set of companions in the game.

This forum might be of help to you.

Aside from that, it is important to remember that a skilled player is the most important factor when playing any role. All fights are situational and there is usually a place for every class. It depends on the fight you are in. So one class will not always be the best for a role. No class is insanely overpowered in respect to all other classes of that role. It would be nerfed fairly quickly otherwise.

Also, perhaps the most important thing to remember is have fun. You might want to check out a few Youtube videos to see how each class plays in certain situations. Maybe just try them both yourself if you have the time. Leveling happens fairly quickly now. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Vanguard is tank, Gunslinger is dps.....so Gunslinger. ;)

Bad advice is bad.

Vanguard has one tank discipline and two DPS disciplines. Every advanced class has at least two DPS disciplines.

=============

OP, vanguard is more of a close combat type. They have some ranged options, but they will earn their keep at 10 meters or closer.

That being said, if you want a durable damage dealer then vanguard is the option and, of these two, if you want long-range then gunslinger is the way to go.

You could, instead, choose the commando class and one of their DPS disciplines if you want a long range trooper though.

As far as what to choose?

It's not a life or death decision. Do you want a smuggler story or a trooper story? Do you want pistols or a rifle (or cannon)?

Unless you have filled up all of your character slots or plan on unsubbing before too long then you are probably going to make them both eventually, anyway.

Any class is fully capable of going from 1-65, and every class (and advanced class) is someone's favorite.

Edited by Mithros

Bad advice is bad.

Vanguard has one tank discipline and two DPS disciplines. Every advanced class has at least two DPS disciplines.

=============

OP, vanguard is more of a close combat type. They have some ranged options, but they will earn their keep at 10 meters or closer.

That being said, if you want a durable damage dealer then vanguard is the option and, of these two, if you want long-range then gunslinger is the way to go.

You could, instead, choose the commando class and one of their DPS disciplines if you want a long range trooper though.

As far as what to choose?

It's not a life or death decision. Do you want a smuggler story or a trooper story? Do you want pistols or a rifle (or cannon)?

Unless you have filled up all of your character slots or plan on unsubbing before too long then you are probably going to make them both eventually, anyway.

Any class is fully capable of going from 1-65, and every class (and advanced class) is someone's favorite.

Even in dps stance which ive played my vanguard that way, I find my gunslinger is still better dps as its a natural dps class. If he wanted a trooper as dps should go Commando. So wasn't bad advice I was answering his question based on advanced classes he was choosing between.

Even in dps stance which ive played my vanguard that way, I find my gunslinger is still better dps as its a natural dps class. If he wanted a trooper as dps should go Commando. So wasn't bad advice I was answering his question based on advanced classes he was choosing between.

No, you said that vanguards are tanks.

You made a false statement that could lead someone to think that vanguards could not be a DPS class at all.

That is not the same as telling someone that you think gunslingers deal better damage.