What's holding SWTOR back

TheMemeWhisperer

It's 2017, Free to play is the standard nowadays for gaming. Stop listening to the 0.01% of the SWG neckbeards who will fight tooth and nail down to the smallest detail to restrict casual players. Casuals are what generate the big bucks and nickel and diming free players at every turn because the elitist subscribers think they deserve to be on some type of pedestal is not the answer. There are plenty of successful games out there who do this is in many different ways. GW 2 ESO BDO Neverwinter POE Tera to name a few have fantastic business models and Bioware could stand to learn a thing or two from them. Making the game more unrestricted for f2p/casual players is what will generate revenue and help retain players both old and new. There are many questionable methods I see in the form of micro transactions that just seem petty and a clear cash grab. Having to sub to use the forums or submit a ticket to customer support in-game, unify colors, head slot to name a few. You'd probably make more money doing away with subscription all together and streamlining the game for a pure f2p experience. I'd like to hear the opinions of other people in the community as I am sure there are many. Edited by TheMemeWhisperer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmm, no thanks. Games became crap when the completely F2P models started getting popular. Plus, Bioware has stated from day 1 that their F2P was more of a free trial in order to steer people to subscribing. I've played A LOT of MMO's in the past 12 years and I find myself getting bored faster with the F2P games than I do with the paid games. Most of them just seem bland and uninteresting, or a bad rip off of a paid game. Also, F2P titles dont seem to last very long either. Most of them have 1 or 2 good years of activity then they become ghost towns. Not to mention that the majority of completely F2P games are Korean/Chinese/Japanese anime garbage, where their only claim to fame is how large and jiggly they can make their female characters breasts. And, honestly I'm a bit offended at your blanket statement about subscribers. I dont act anything like how you describe a paying player.

It's 2017, Free to play is the standard nowadays for gaming. Stop listening to the 0.01% of the SWG neckbeards who will fight tooth and nail down to the smallest detail to restrict casual players. Casuals are what generate the big bucks and nickel and diming free players at every turn because the elitist subscribers think they deserve to be on some type of pedestal is not the answer. There are plenty of successful games out there who do this is in many different ways. Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile to name a few have fantastic business models and Bioware could stand to learn a thing or two from them. Making the game more unrestricted for f2p/casual players is what will generate revenue and help retain players both old and new. There are many questionable methods I see in the form of micro transactions that just seem petty and a clear cash grab. You'd probably make more money doing away with subscription all together and streamlining the game for a pure f2p experience. I'd like to hear the opinions of other people in the community as I am sure there are many.

I don't know anything about GW2, but I think you're right that they need to refocus on their "average" customer, not the top .05%.

I know casuals are what expanded the market i know its the impulsive buying that makes them money and i also know that it lets companies get away with selling cut and dumbed down products, and i know that i have been part of the problem sadly by supporting that behavior as i do sometimes like market items in games that let you personalize things. That said i really wish that casuals myself could be included in that bracket didn't come like that into this market as i really want games and mmos in general to be the way they used to because then you always had something to strive for. Id like more sandboxy more time consuming more difficulty. Sometimes i may not get to see things but when i see someone in town that has something or whatever i can be like wow damn that guy busted his *** for that someday id like to do it. I have a job and dont have everytime to play so yes i understand that, and sadly the folks that complain about having lives and they dont want to play a game all the time, well to bad go have a life and stop complaining in a game, id rather slowly working towards something to me that is much more enjoyable then have it given to me in less time, as yup i may never get something, but its a goal for someday.

It's funny cuz Buy to Play / F2P games is receiving more content then us. And the subscription is too expensive per month for this eternal solo stuffs. Im telling you whats holding this game back:

- They dont care about what players asks

- They dont care about pvp maps or operations

- They dont care about server merges to save group content

- They dont care about great ideas from other mmorpg games

- They keep releasing things nobody asking for, like nerfs.

BW, stop expending our money with yourselves, and save the dam GAME!

Edited by Pazuzuh

Ummmm, no thanks. Games became crap when the completely F2P models started getting popular. Plus, Bioware has stated from day 1 that their F2P was more of a free trial in order to steer people to subscribing. I've played A LOT of MMO's in the past 12 years and I find myself getting bored faster with the F2P games than I do with the paid games. Most of them just seem bland and uninteresting, or a bad rip off of a paid game. Also, F2P titles dont seem to last very long either. Most of them have 1 or 2 good years of activity then they become ghost towns. Not to mention that the majority of completely F2P games are Korean/Chinese/Japanese anime garbage, where their only claim to fame is how large and jiggly they can make their female characters breasts. And, honestly I'm a bit offended at your blanket statement about subscribers. I dont act anything like how you describe a paying player.

Misinformed and ignorant. GW2 POE Neverwinter Tera ESO BDO to list off a few all have varying degrees of f2p elements and are WAY healthier in terms of population than SWTOR. Eastern/Anime MMO's are a demographic not a standard so using them to describe F2P as a whole is not really a good arguement.

Edited by TheMemeWhisperer

It's 2017, Free to play is the standard nowadays for gaming. Stop listening to the 0.01% of the SWG neckbeards who will fight tooth and nail down to the smallest detail to restrict casual players. Casuals are what generate the big bucks and nickel and diming free players at every turn because the elitist subscribers think they deserve to be on some type of pedestal is not the answer. There are plenty of successful games out there who do this is in many different ways. Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile to name a few have fantastic business models and Bioware could stand to learn a thing or two from them. Making the game more unrestricted for f2p/casual players is what will generate revenue and help retain players both old and new. There are many questionable methods I see in the form of micro transactions that just seem petty and a clear cash grab. You'd probably make more money doing away with subscription all together and streamlining the game for a pure f2p experience. I'd like to hear the opinions of other people in the community as I am sure there are many.

Yet again you are making statements like 0.01% and f2p/casual players is what will generate revenue. with nothing to back up your statement at all.

AS for ..."I'd like to hear the opinions of other people in the community as I am sure there are many"

Clearly you have zero interest in hearing what any other player has to say unless they agree wholeheartedly with you going on your posts in the other thread.

It's funny cuz Buy to Play / F2P games is receiving more content then us. And the subscription is too expensive per month for this eternal solo stuffs. Im telling you whats holding this game back:

- They dont care about what players asks

- They dont care about pvp maps or operations

- They dont care about server merges to save group content

- They dont care about great ideas from other mmorpg games

- They keep releasing things nobody asking for, like nerfs.

BW, stop expending our money with yourselves, and save the dam GAME!

+1 Well said sir.

They definitely need to raise that credit limit that's for sure.

Well, it should be interesting to see what they'll do in the near future. They already alluded to legacy credits and well, if it's not per character than even in F2P they'll have to raise the credit cap beyond 250/350K especially when F2P buy extra character slots.

Yet again you are making statements like 0.01% and f2p/casual players is what will generate revenue. with nothing to back up your statement at all.

AS for ..."I'd like to hear the opinions of other people in the community as I am sure there are many"

Clearly you have zero interest in hearing what any other player has to say unless they agree wholeheartedly with you going on your posts in the other thread.

Are you living under a rock or has denial gotten the best of you? Open your eyes and do some research. As far as other people agreeing with me or not, I could care less.

Yeah guys it the current year! 2017

2017 guys so my argument is correct

*facepalm*

It's an opinion. If you're going to have a counter arguement as to why I am wrong atleast give something of value rather than this bs.

Are you living under a rock or has denial gotten the best of you? Open your eyes and do some research and you'll see that what I'm saying is true. As far as other people agreeing with me or not, I could care less.

"I could care less"

You're American aren't you?

The correct and logical saying is "I couldn't care less"

I am English so don't argue, we invented the language okay"

"I could care less"

You're American aren't you?

The correct and logical saying is "I couldn't care less"

I am English so don't argue, we invented the language okay"

Now you're going to police me on grammar because you can't actually produce a valid counter argument? You're a real winner.

I am okay with the way F2P are, but I am definitely against the way how Premium Players are... its quite unfair. I've spend so many moneys on this game and when I am reduced to Premium player, its what push me away from the game. They should at least make several ranks for Premium Players... like X ranks or so, with each rank you get more... depending on how much money you spent...

It's 2017, Free to play is the standard nowadays for gaming. Stop listening to the 0.01% of the SWG neckbeards who will fight tooth and nail down to the smallest detail to restrict casual players. Casuals are what generate the big bucks and nickel and diming free players at every turn because the elitist subscribers think they deserve to be on some type of pedestal is not the answer.

How do you plan on any money being made to keep development going? People why play f2p games because they are free usually do not have or are not going to spend those "big bucks." If you are complaining because $15 a month is too much, you need to get off the computer and get your priorities in order.

It's an opinion. If you're going to have a counter arguement as to why I am wrong atleast give something of value rather than this bs.

Well you don't really have an argument to respond to, I just noticed you like to use the term IT'S 2017 a lot on your posts, as if that somehow validates your point that you're trying to push. lol

I mean it's pretty damn obvious to anyone with a brain why subscribers should get more access to the end game than free to play players. Why would they limit their income to in game cartel market purchases only when they can get subscriber money? They have the best of both worlds. They sell a subscription service with all the extra inventive that brings AND they get to sell cartel coins. (Although it would be fair to assume that not every player buys cartel coins, a lot of us play the referral link game to obtain our coins) Or do a bit of both, RL and the odd purchase.

I've bought coins in the past and subscribed.

How do you plan on any money being made to keep development going? People why play f2p games because they are free usually do not have or are not going to spend those "big bucks." If you are complaining because $15 a month is too much, you need to get off the computer and get your priorities in order.

I don't complain about sub because I pay $15 a month just like you to be able to come here and complain about the terrible state the game is in. I know it's mind boggling.

It's pretty obvious that the subscription model is dying just by looking at player populations. Look at ESO for example - ESO is a one time purchase that gives players 100% access to the vanilla game and that has a much higher player count than SWTOR.

Yea, but Zenimax was very smart by limiting the inventory so much it becomes too much of a hassle to play free. While what you say is technically correct, you'll be shooting y ourself in the foot and making things 1000x times harder on yourself by not subbing.

Well you don't really have an argument to respond to, I just noticed you like to use the term IT'S 2017 a lot on your posts, as if that somehow validates your point that you're trying to push. lol

I mean it's pretty damn obvious to anyone with a brain why subscribers should get more access to the end game than free to play players. Why would they limit their income to in game cartel market purchases only when they can get subscriber money? They have the best of both worlds. They sell a subscription service with all the extra inventive that brings AND they get to sell cartel coins. (Although it would be fair to assume that not every player buys cartel coins, a lot of us play the referral link game to obtain our coins) Or do a bit of both, RL and the odd purchase.

I've bought coins in the past and subscribed.

Ya it's 2017 and guess what? Subscription business models are a dieing breed. Not many games do it well and this one certainly doesn't either. Every response you've given just attacks me personally and gives no indication on YOUR opinion. You're just on a witch hunt to derail me because you don't like what I have to say which would be perfectly acceptable if anything you said actually had any merit to the discussion at hand.