Could someone explain whole Saboteur option?

morfius

I have not started pushing most of my chars thru 5.10 due to the bugs and not enough clearance about options you have.

For example Saboteur - do it mean that you sided with opposite side but are put thru your starting faction story and fail it or is active choice somewhere?

Or it comes from previous choice on Iokath?

Do the quests change if you are Saboteur or not?

Even without story spoilers could someone explain the mechanic behind that?

Thanks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not started pushing most of my chars thru 5.10 due to the bugs and not enough clearance about options you have.

For example Saboteur - do it mean that you sided with opposite side but are put thru your starting faction story and fail it or is active choice somewhere?

Or it comes from previous choice on Iokath?

It has nothing to do with previous story choices. Lana asks you if you want to support the Empire or the Republic, and you choose. Who you chose to support on Iokath does not matter.

Do the quests change if you are Saboteur or not?

For Ossus loyalist and saboteur play out exactly the same. You are 'maintaining your cover' and that means ... doing the same stuff the loyalist does. There might be a payoff later for your choice, but not on Ossus.

At the beginning of the "chapter" Lana asks (again) who you want to side with, if you side with the opposite faction you go talk to an NPC who tells you you will be working undercover for your original faction. Then you play through the same as the loyalist but with a few moments where you "sabotage" either automatically through a cutscene or by doing a bonus mission (undercover in the Empire it was sabotaging some Imperial ships).

At the beginning of the "chapter" Lana asks (again) who you want to side with, if you side with the opposite faction you go talk to an NPC who tells you you will be working undercover for your original faction. Then you play through the same as the loyalist but with a few moments where you "sabotage" either automatically through a cutscene or by doing a bonus mission (undercover in the Empire it was sabotaging some Imperial ships).

Does this mean you can't actually switch sides properly? Or sabotage your original side?

Thanks, tried Ossus on some secondary chars - got bunch of bugs and utterly disappointing story and no new companion on both chars (VG & IA)... with IA and whole Saboteur path was:

- Why did I ever bother ... I just helped my old faction much more than my new choice one.

Not to mention that they screwed their own writing ... Rep/Imp stories are not correlating to each one.

Spoiler - read on your risk.

Republic - You find Malora over badly beaten Dural

Empire - You beat Dural with Malgus as companion not with Malora

WTH ... was it to hard for Malora to be pushed on some obstacle and forced to go with you in the library as Malgus and Anri go to attack the rest of the colony (so it would correlate with Rep ending when they engage Malgus shuttle)?

So it would be - Rep win - PC stop Malora and save Dural while fighters drop Malgus and Anri / Imp win - PC with Malora beat Dural while Malgus order all back to raised base without been gunned down.

Well it seem my major chars will wait longer before even go there...

Thanks, tried Ossus on some secondary chars - got bunch of bugs and utterly disappointing story and no new companion on both chars (VG & IA)... with IA and whole Saboteur path was:

- Why did I ever bother ... I just helped my old faction much more than my new choice one.

Not to mention that they screwed their own writing ... Rep/Imp stories are not correlating to each one.

WTH ... was it to hard for Malora to be pushed on some obstacle and forced to go with you in the library as Malgus and Anri go to attack the rest of the colony (so it would correlate with Rep ending when they engage Malgus shuttle)?

So it would be - Rep win - PC stop Malora and save Dural while fighters drop Malgus and Anri / Imp win - PC with Malora beat Dural while Malgus order all back to raised base without been gunned down.

How can the two stories possibly correlate with each other? Unless you're suggesting there's two Alliance Commanders, one on each side? Remember we're not going back to two separate stories. This is still one story, we just have two separate factions again.

How can the two stories possibly correlate with each other? Unless you're suggesting there's two Alliance Commanders, one on each side? Remember we're not going back to two separate stories. This is still one story, we just have two separate factions again.

Well I explained how I think it should correlate in Spoiler tags...

One story will mean all characters dropped in one faction ... think again (what we have again is like planetary stories on both sides in classic game).

Issue is not with the different ends, issue is that same events contain different participants depending on faction.

I wasn't happy with the way it played out for my sorc who chose to side with the Republic

Basically Jonas brushes off my concern about his plan to keep me on the imp side while "sabotaging" the imps because I did not want to continue killing Jedi. "They know what they signed up for" or something like that, is his response.

Ok, Jonas, well, I killed dozens upon dozens of them. Padawans, too. "Hey guys, I want to join your side, but I'll just go ahead and kill most of you first. Don't worry, Jonas said it was okay" It made me really regret betraying people like Anri and Pyron and even Acina. I wish that I had been one of the lucky ones to get a rollback on this story early after the patch--I would have never chosen it if I'd known how it was going to play out

Does this mean you can't actually switch sides properly? Or sabotage your original side?

You can sabotage your original side, you just can't openly work for the opposite side. So my Agent for example was a double agent for the Republic since vanilla but has to keep working for the Empire in this new update but "undercover" for the Republic. This was not well executed so far IMO.

You can sabotage your original side, you just can't openly work for the opposite side. So my Agent for example was a double agent for the Republic since vanilla but has to keep working for the Empire in this new update but "undercover" for the Republic. This was not well executed so far IMO.

This makes me not want to play my agent. She doesn't want to go back to this. 😣

Same here, unless things get better it makes me want to abandon all but my loyalist characters.

I wasn't happy with the way it played out for my sorc who chose to side with the Republic

Basically Jonas brushes off my concern about his plan to keep me on the imp side while "sabotaging" the imps because I did not want to continue killing Jedi. "They know what they signed up for" or something like that, is his response.

Ok, Jonas, well, I killed dozens upon dozens of them. Padawans, too. "Hey guys, I want to join your side, but I'll just go ahead and kill most of you first. Don't worry, Jonas said it was okay" It made me really regret betraying people like Anri and Pyron and even Acina. I wish that I had been one of the lucky ones to get a rollback on this story early after the patch--I would have never chosen it if I'd known how it was going to play out

I agree, it's so messed up and it really makes no sense! You do far more harm than good working "undercover"

killing many like you said, sabotaging Republic operations, and even imprisoning the one remaining member of the jedi council at best and killing him at worst. The only thing you achieve is sabotaging 3 shuttles and preventing the Empire from getting agricultural data-both of which could have been done while OPENLY working for the Repunlic and killing and sabotaging Imperial forces instead of your own side. Not to mention that "undercover" you have Malgus alone and you don't take that opportunity to kill him. Ugh!

I took my agent through, she was able to tell Jonas straight, but he wants her Imperial network still.... :mad:

Hopefully they make it worth it later on... This was just a first step, an introduction.

I took my agent through, she was able to tell Jonas straight, but he wants her Imperial network still.... :mad:

Hopefully they make it worth it later on... This was just a first step, an introduction.

I got that option too and I couldn't help but think "what network does the agent still have after 7 years missing?"

I got that option too and I couldn't help but think "what network does the agent still have after 7 years missing?"

The ones made through the Alliance I suppose? I have no idea. Thankfully I can fanfic fix that as much as I despise the term, since my SW apparently also has some network they want and I'm all.. uh.. how?? she pretty much killed or betrayed or stomped over everyone except Vowrawn.

It's very confusing too me unless I just don't pay attention to details.

Edited by Asmodesu

THIS ^ SO MUCH THIS !

The network you have now after going "rogue" for 7 years are the people you have in your alliance, and most of them leaves you after you choosing sides obviously. so now you will not only loose network and allies, but also be known as a traitor later on ( come on... it does not take half a brain to see that you are working against the faction you are sabotaging, so either this is the dumbest people in the galaxy or you are getting played bigtime. this is pretty much a loose/loose situation for you whatever you do. )

Whatever the outcome of this is going to be, i'd say they wrote themselfs into a corner with this one and its ruining the experience of the story....

There are so many things wrong with this new stuff that im practicly skipping whatever i can and just farm the gear not paying any attention to anything story related now, and guess what... the game become really boring super fast since all you can do is pretty much the same stuff over and over, cept you HAVE to play through the solo mission first to even get to the grind point.....

The name of the next chapter in this game will be something like:

Loneliness, Living Alone and Social Isolation.

Edited by Esron

I wish that I had been one of the lucky ones to get a rollback on this story early after the patch--I would have never chosen it if I'd known how it was going to play out

I've started playing new content on a "test char" first, one that I leveled up during that whole get all 8 classes to max level-thing a few years ago. It's a bit sad that I just don't trust Bioware's stories with my mains first anymore.

The name of the next chapter in this game will be something like:

Loneliness, Living Alone and Social Isolation.

Every mission will be what it feels like to walk around our class ships after KOTFE. Or strongholds where the NPC decos are all disabled. Or what it’s like to be in a PvP instance or Outlaw’s Den. Can’t wait!

Everything I'm reading about the saboteurs really makes me think they're really punishing those who want to switch factions. You're being put in a position where neither side is going to trust you and you're going to make enemies on all sides of your Alliance.

All of this makes me even more reluctant to take a Republic character through, because they're all meant to switch sides. My ladies don't want to join the Jedi again. But they also don't want to be put into a position where they are handing over all their old Republic contacts' names to hurt them and slaughtering Sith to 'remain undercover,' all while lying to nearly the entire Alliance.

If I remember correctly -- the devs said in a podcast that really switching factions would be just about impossible, if not totally impossible ( or that was my take from it ) ...

wish I could remember the podcast, but the general gist I got was --- no, no REAL changing of factions -- too much involved ( having to recode the fleets and all --- etc ) ...

so what we see, is what we get I guess ..... I'll still play -- it's Star Wars

It would be much more interesting if we could do Republic story on Imperial characters and vice versa. Just imagine all those possible interactions with suspicious Jedi, colonists and Republic personnel who have no other choice but accept former imp’s help, or attacking pubs as DS Jedi or disillusioned Trooper who had enough of Republic hypocrisy.

I believe we didn’t get this option because we can’t abandon our faction gameplay wise. It doesn’t make sense when Imperial character sides openly with the Republic in story, then goes to Vaiken Spacedock and forms a group with fellow imps to run daily op. Clunky post-Iokath workaround can’t be there forever.

Everything I'm reading about the saboteurs really makes me think they're really punishing those who want to switch factions. You're being put in a position where neither side is going to trust you and you're going to make enemies on all sides of your Alliance.

All of this makes me even more reluctant to take a Republic character through, because they're all meant to switch sides. My ladies don't want to join the Jedi again. But they also don't want to be put into a position where they are handing over all their old Republic contacts' names to hurt them and slaughtering Sith to 'remain undercover,' all while lying to nearly the entire Alliance.

I'm not sure how they will make you feel about that decision, but they sure did a great job making me feel guilty about trying to switch sides from the Empire to the Republic

I instantly regretted betraying Moff Pyron--the way he treats and feels about his troops is exactly how my LS Sorc would want her underlings to operate. It may even be that my influence rubbed off on Pyron from vanilla and I loved how deep that made seeing him again under those circumstances. And here I am betraying a good man and officer and his people (which in a way are my people, too). And who do I go see in order to betray Pyron?

Jonas, who doesn't blink at the thought of me needing to slaughter Jedi and Padawans and colonists just to keep up appearances. That sounds pretty stereotypically-Empirical to me (Baras' "ends justify the means" philosophy).

Then being on the ground with Anri and the troops and seeing how they viewed me made the betrayal sting more.

Then Acina's chastisement of Malgus for being a slaughter-happy stereotype when her goal was really to feed her people...all of that is to say that nothing I did in this storyline (Sith to Republic) made me happy about the decision.

I'm very interested to see if I will have a way to reverse this going forward. Jonas made me mad enough I wouldn't feel bad about betraying him.

The switching side could be a story aspect only.

If you decide to side with the Republic wether you were imp or pub, you get to play the pub side story (only needing some dialog change depending on the character's backstory), and if you side with the Empire, you get to play the imp side one.

But for anything other than that, you'll still play your original faction content.

Okay so maybe you missed part of the conversation on Pub side but....

Malgus was there with Malora. She clearly states that we just missed him as he already left. So really isn't any discrepancy

The switching side could be a story aspect only.

If you decide to side with the Republic wether you were imp or pub, you get to play the pub side story (only needing some dialog change depending on the character's backstory), and if you side with the Empire, you get to play the imp side one.

But for anything other than that, you'll still play your original faction content.

That's how they did things with Iokath, along with an emailed explanation as to why you're still allowed to visit your old fleet. I don't understand why they couldn't do it again.

Yes, it would be a lapse in story/contiunity that you would still be able to visit your original faction's home planets, etc. but they already have tons of lapses like that. My Sith can still walk around and do planetary quests that refer to them as Darth Baras or Lord Zash's apprentices, even though those ships sailed years and years ago in the story timeline. The heroics and dailies they do are frozen in other points of time in some cases.