Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

Executive Producer Jeff Hickman addresses the fans about our Free-to-Play announcement:

I want to reach out today to share my thoughts on our recent announcement to expand our game to offer a Free-To-Play option this fall. I’d like to give you some insights into why we made this decision, how it benefits you and how enthusiastic our team is about this new direction.

Read More

Edited by CourtneyWoods

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not surprised by this- and not because of the whole TOR is "not doing well" idea. I've seen other games go with this hybrid model and actually not only do better financially, but be able to do more about improving the game.

My only concern is really is when are you guys going to add in same-gender romance options. That is a big reason for why I've played the game. I really don't care for the new companion as the HK's were never my favorites in KOTOR.

I'm for it. More options means more players. I for one, will continue to subscribe. But I like the notion of expanding methods of experience.

TOR's issue, from a financial standpoint, was the inclusion of a box fee and sub. This doesn't get rid of the latter means of monetization. It adds another. I'll be curious to see what this means for the game itself and content generation.

Edited by AlyxDinas

Executive Producer Jeff Hickman addresses the fans about our Free-to-Play announcement:

Read More

Why is the Sub remaining $15 when 50% of the game is free?

If I buy a Big Mac and Fries and the Fries are F2P I'm only going to pay for the Big Mac right?

What benefits does a subscription give? Full WZ and Ops is not worth $15 a month. Even less so with the obvious slowing of patches due to focus on maintaining F2P players.

Edited by Tylerlee

I hope that this will prove to be a positive change.

I am somewhat disturbed that no mention has been made of same sex romance, or the promised addition of Cathars to playable species. These features are of far more interest to me than a new pvp area.

Edited by SteppeMerc

Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.

Gotta say Im not thrilled by this announcement. I think F2P will kill SWTOR in multiple ways, including pissing off the subscribers by now allowing the pain in the asses of the world hop on the game, screw with everyone, then leave.

Also, what exactly am I paying for? I've been a constant sub since launch, I want to know what exactly is in it for subs, not a vague

Second, you have the option to play free to Level 50, with game play restrictions that limit game options and access to certain game content.

I want to know that flashpoints, operations, warzones, and GTN are subs only. They should not be left open to the public.

Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.

Totaly Agree with you my Friend ;) , No matter What some Trolls may say, true Fans Enjoys SWTOR !

This is how I'm feeling presently; only time will tell and I'm going to keep playing until it does.

So... all the people that purchased the collector edition, get extra items and so on. ...but what about the people who purchased the the digital deluxe edition? are they being put into the same category as those who purchased the standard version of the game?

If I buy a Big Mac and Fries and the Fries are F2P I'm only going to pay for the Big Mac right?

What benefits does a subscription give? Full WZ and Ops is not worth $15 a month. Even less so with the obvious slowing of patches due to focus on maintaining F2P players.

Very good point and I hope you get answered asap.

I think pretty much everyone here was expecting this to happen, so it shouldn't be any surprise. I'm rather pleased to finally see it happening, and maybe something in this game will finally happen. SWTOR feels like it's been floating around in limbo for quite some time.

The Cartel stuff sounds interesting. I'll be curious to find out more.

F2P RUINS GAMES!

Canceling sub a week prior to it auto-billing.

Time to move on to a different game.

Congrats on killing your game that isn't even a year old... Take a look at DC Universe that is what SWTOR will ultimately become... A PIECE OF ****!

Show me one game that has gone under since it has gone Free to Play or has less payers then before it was Free to Play, you cant, can you? Because none exist. Free to Play is the new industry standard, if you dont like it, go play checkers because in 2 years you wont fine a single MMO that is still 100% sub based.

In every game I've seen go F2P or Freemium if you prefer sub players get exclusive content and cashshop currency with their sub. If you don't find the game worth subbing to, then don't. It's that simple. That's what Free to Play gives you. You pay for what you want. If you want to not have to bother with it and continue along as you are, then keep your sub.