Legacy Perks Swindling

Sunni

I think the game might have too many credit sinks.... but maybe it's because I am mostly a PvP player who never has enough credits for anything.

I PvP pretty much exclusively as well, but it is entirely possible to do the Ilum dailies, minus the Heroic, in between queues. Really, if all you're doing is sitting on the fleet between queues, you're just not managing your play time very well.

Edited by Kunda

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a huge money sink, looks like bioware have sent SW:TOR to the grave.

1.3 is a very minor content update, a LFG tool thats extremely limited and broken, more bugs and a huge money sink.

good luck getting those 6 month subs to resubscribe.

Thanks for the well wishes, and I've used it several times since launch and Group Finder has been freakin great so far.

I'm pretty upset about the wonky graphic issues that further annoy me in PVP, but that's a different forum topic....And maybe today's patch solved that.

Yeah, it kinda sucked when I too realized I didn't read the tooltips entirely either... but my main is all set for the first expansion... Now to choose which one of my alts gets to be the lucky one to level quicker and have speeders sooner.

The entire legacy system is a complete joke because of this. My continued subscription and continued game play should be payment enough. Period.

It is by no means FREE to get to legacy level 15 or 20 and it certainly doesn't happen over night. They need to reduce the costs by 95% or more. Period, end of story.

Respec costs are insane

Mod removal prices are insane

Gear repair prices are insane

How many credit sinks can there be in this game? It's way past the point of being un-fun...

Respec costs are high, if you do it 8+ times a week

Mod removal costs are high, even with the reduction, but not "insane"

Gear repair prices are high, if you die too much...there's an easy fix for that.

With daily quests and weekly pve/pvp quests, credit generation is absurdly easy, if there weren't credit sinks the economic bloat would choke the GTN with overpriced gear and materials. You can do the BH daily quests in under an hour, that will give you anywhere from 65-100k depending on the RNG. If you do all of the daily quests you can easily clear 250k at minimum per day, which adds up extremely fast. This doesn't even take into account whether you craft anything to sell on the GTN or not.

Instead of the current system, what about a system where you have to buy the option for individual chars, or to all the chars in your legacy. The 2 things shouldnt stack. The price for the legacy wide things price, could be equal to maybe 4 chars, in the character perks. F.x i might buy so i get an increased chance to crafting/an augment slot will appear, to all my chars. But only buy an boost to xp gain on 2 chars.

its a huge money sink, looks like bioware have sent SW:TOR to the grave.

This aint "Star" Wars" it's "Spend" Wars. I've played a lot of MMOs starting in 1999 but this game is easily the biggest money sink I've seen.

Instead of the current system, what about a system where you have to buy the option for individual chars, or to all the chars in your legacy. The 2 things shouldnt stack. The price for the legacy wide things price, could be equal to maybe 4 chars, in the character perks.

If they gave you an choice of single character or legacy-wide, then the legacy-wide rice needs to be 8x the single character price. Otherwise it would be stupid to purchase single character versions.

If they gave you an choice of single character or legacy-wide, then the legacy-wide rice needs to be 8x the single character price. Otherwise it would be stupid to purchase single character versions.

depends on the number of chars you have. it should be so its cheaper to buy for all, if you have past a certain number of chars. f.x 5 chars

People in this thread are over-reacting. You don't need xp boost in normal play. You need them for leveling alts. If you wanted them to be global unlocks the price would be about 8 times higher then they are right now.

The rest of the stuff is mainly convenience items put in place to make it easier for you while you play. In fact you end up paying less with this set-up because you only need to pay for the perks you intend to use on each character.

People in this thread are over-reacting. You don't need xp boost in normal play. You need them for leveling alts. If you wanted them to be global unlocks the price would be about 8 times higher then they are right now.

The rest of the stuff is mainly convenience items put in place to make it easier for you while you play. In fact you end up paying less with this set-up because you only need to pay for the perks you intend to use on each character.

im seriously tired of people saying this BS. Seriously, who the ****s says it would have to be aobut 8 times more expencive... it could be 4. Then those that have more will save some creds, and the same for those that have less, if you had both options.

Considering this game is currently dependant on people rolling alts, regardless of cost they should still be global and limited to one character.

I spent 1.5 million on "legacy" perks that are completely useless to me (except for mail/repair droid) and while I do admit it's my own fault for not reading the text thoroughly, I don't have the free time to grind dailies for a week for 1.5 million just to to help one of my three under 50s to level up quickly.

As someone who does find repeating the same quests levelling up to be a massive chore/bore, non global legacy perks have really made me lose interest in levelling up my characters if I need to do a weekly daily grind (which I've done since 1.2's release) before I can move onto the next.

I did love twinking. Made 1 of each archetype to get to know the story, different playstyle and class buffs.

So for me personally most of the new perks are a bit late and just needed for my republic character that levels very slowly at the moment.

But all the people saying credits are an issue ... doing dailies, working crew skills and the GTN it's really easy to make several million per day since Tuesday. Income will go down once the patch has settled, but knowledge and information are the key.

It was common intel that the market for augments and MK-6 kits will be huge so everyone not stacking up on material and products ... it's your own fault. It was quite obvious how the market will evolve once 1.3 goes live ... Biochem 5 mats drop down to abyssmal low and augments skyrocket.

Everyone not working this obvious facts, I feel sorry for you. You just got shafted, but not by Bioware but yourself. If credits are your concern you have to work for it and this means gather information for 20 minutes not grind all day.

I personally have 4 characters (2 Bioanalysis & Slicing, 1 Artifice and 1 Armormech) and work a lot at home, running statistics and reading articles all day, so for 3 Minutes every ~40 minutes I log through all the characters and renew the crew mission. After showering at morning and before I go to sleep I put up all the goods I want to sell for 12 hours (not 24). And that's it. For grinding dailies I just do the Corellia mission weekly with two characters. Maybe this might help some people who struggle to get their income up.

I have to say, the whole idea of "legacy" perks that are tied to 1 character left me cold. I was one of those people who liked 1.2 legacy unlocks. I got a bunch of unlocks because of my super high legacy level and bought a few others(like Human species for bonus). In fact, I am still getting unlocks from 1.2 now, namely the companion +10 bonus to presence. Since I am a min-maxer at heart I appreciate these little "boosts"

But when I look at the costs involved in getting the 1.3 legacy unlocks and the benefits it just does not make sense. First, I really dislike the idea of grinding dailies on one toon to unlock a bonus on another toon that will slightly reduce the grind there.

Basically I am grinding ... to avoid grinding?

Secondly, a lot of the benefits just don't add up. There was a great thread where someone actually did the math on the unlocks and it turned out that you were just better off doing the original grind. I think the only thing that actually makes sense is the speeder(level 10 only) and maybe the WZ XP bonus.

Class story mission bonus? whaaaat ??? That represents 1 / 10 quests I had to do to level up.

Bonus to exploration ... it is an even smaller percentage of the overall XP grind.

A crit-craft bonus that only affects augment slots ... again why?

So far, the only thing that appeals to me about 1.3 is LFG and the BH comm.

• 2 months later...

The only character perk I had even considered using was the Crafting perk but I chose against it; reason being the following: If I were to, say, buy the crafting perk for my agent, who crits on Armormech, what am I gaining? If I put an augment slot on a piece of level 27 custom armor, the augment slot will STILL need to be updated to a MK 6 slot down the line to even be useful if that armor is kept until level 50. That, and the market for lower level augments, in my opinion, is a waste of money unless you're really looking to hoof it alone and really need that extra blip of endurance or whatever stat your lower level augment provides.

With the addition of craftable augment slots, the rarity and allure of getting an item to proc an augment slot disappears. That, and MK6 slots take so little to craft, the money is better invested in making those and putting them on the market for those who didn't chose the Arms/Armor tech or Synth crafts. Thus leaving the only people to benefit being the non augmentable crafters like Cybertech, Artifice and Biochem who use the crit to proc an extra of whatever they're crafting, be it mods, crystals or stims.

Now, if there was a gathering perk to increase total amount of items gathered on crew skill missions regardless of crit results or not, THEN we'd be in business to make it fair across the board. But the marketplace has been murdered enough with this whole easy augment thing; the only way to keep high value on certain items it to keep augment ingredients (Like epic tech parts) rare.

This being said, as prior people have mentioned, these are indeed 'perks'. Extras. They aren't necessary and are merely there for convenience. Whether you choose to invest in them or not is something that should be well planned, though.

Yea Legacy perks that are meaningless to the toons in your legacy.. perfect sense to me - NOT

But its just a way of credit sinking players in readiness for F2P so those unlocks appeal more if your not depending on actual game in game credits that can be focuse on things like expensive mod chabges, speeder licences, over price skill/abilities... it so you get to thinking , ill just spend the $X on them and be done with them... Ive seen other games introduce un locks via game that only cover a single alt, but if purchased via cashsop for real money it covers all alts.. maybe thats the way they are heading... but if you then transfer alts or roll new ones on other servers.. you gotta purchase all over again.

Sounds crazy but its amazing how many players will happily spend real money unlocking as opposed to grinding out credits for a few hours in game... :rolleyes:

Edited by Bloodstealer

I dont mind them too much. I only got the legacy bound things like the mailbox that really mattered, and with the " by character" ones I Have 3 50's who spoil my lower alts and load them up on the XP boons that better fit my style, so really it's not been too bad of a bank buster, just take a day to run dailies on all three 50's and I can load an alt up for a good while.

Some are useful/wonderful at level 50, some aren't. Most of the XP ones aren't that useful, with the exception of warzone and perhaps flashpoints.

The warzone xp boost takes only a few minutes to get credits for and easily shaves off hours from leveling, assuming one does a good bit of PvP.

Great stuff at level 50, repair droid, mail droid, field respec, faster junk selling. Crafting crits is worthwhile to anyone who crafts a lot, augment slots aren't free after all.

That being said, a lot of the XP perks aren't very useful. Even so, there's still a good deal of nice things in the legacy perks section.

Legacy Perks only unlocks for the character that purchases it.

When you base your complaint on a false statement, you invalidate your complaint.

Some legacy perks are account wide, some are character specific. I'm sure they will change and add as time goes on, but the mix will always be some of each.

As for the Bernie Maddoff snark, nothing in the legacy perks is required to play the game. They are perks, each and everyone being optional, depending on player preferences and tastes.

Edited by Andryah

When you base your complaint on a false statement, you invalidate your complaint.

Some legacy perks are account wide, some are character specific. I'm sure they will change and add as time goes on, but the mix will always be some of each.

As for the Bernie Maddoff snark, nothing in the legacy perks is required to play the game. They are perks, each and everyone being optional, depending on player preferences and tastes.

Name a single perk that unlocks account wide. I challenge you.

Name a single perk that unlocks account wide. I challenge you.

Different use of the word perk. Ship Mailbox.

Perk in general refers to any sort've benefit. Character Perks refers to character specific perks. Legacy perks refers to anything inside the legacy system which provides a bonus.

Different use of the word perk. Ship Mailbox.

Perk in general refers to any sort've benefit. Character Perks refers to character specific perks. Legacy perks refers to anything inside the legacy system which provides a bonus.

Log in and click the character perks tab. anything in THAT tab is a perk. That is what the OP meant when they said "Perks". Twisting words doesn't make you right.

Log in and click the character perks tab. anything in THAT tab is a perk. That is what the OP meant when they said "Perks". Twisting words doesn't make you right.

Actually what the OP meant is unclear. What Andryah interpreted it to mean was fairly clear.

I don't know why you don't consider any of the global unlocks perks but oh well.

Actually what the OP meant is unclear. What Andryah interpreted it to mean was fairly clear.

I don't know why you don't consider any of the global unlocks perks but oh well.

I dont consider them perks because they AREN'T perks. Go log in and look. its a tab called "Perks". Very clearly labeled. But you insist that other legacy unlocks are perks. Does that mean that anything in skills is considered inventory? You make no sense.

I dont consider them perks because they AREN'T perks. Go log in and look. its a tab called "Perks". Very clearly labeled. But you insist that other legacy unlocks are perks. Does that mean that anything in skills is considered inventory? You make no sense.

Its a tab called "Character Perks" go log in and check.

FYI I consider convenience features such as reduced fleet pass CD perks, I consider trainign dummies perks, I consider the jet boost perks, and I consider the on ship GTN, mail droid, and repair droid perks.

Your definition of perks doesn't really make sense to me. So since when tab establishes the perks as character specific, and other establishes them as global unlocks, only the character specific ones are perks?

Its a tab called "Character Perks" go log in and check.

FYI I consider convenience features such as reduced fleet pass CD perks, I consider trainign dummies perks, I consider the jet boost perks, and I consider the on ship GTN, mail droid, and repair droid perks.

Your definition of perks doesn't really make sense to me. So since when tab establishes the perks as character specific, and other establishes them as global unlocks, only the character specific ones are perks?

I'm going by the dev's definition of perks. To THEM (and me) character perks are unlocks that only unlock for that character.

I'm done debating the sematics of it with you.