Lightning, or Madness in PVP for 5.1

adayamothrawn

Hi guys,

I've only recently started to play SWTOR on a more serious basis and for the first time since taking a break maybe half a year after launch - so there's a couple of things I don't know, especially with regards to mechanics, etc.

My question would be: What do you consider better for mainly PVP in 5.1? Lightning, or Madness.

I know that sorc has been nerfed (feeling it, too) and that healing should be the main thing to focus on.

I know that Lightning is more direct damage, whereas madness is dot.

I played madness for quite some time and then switched to lightning. Intially, I saw an increase in my overall damage at the end of the match . Which might be b/c I didn't have the madness down, according to Bant's stats Lightning is supposed to be dead last?

What about mobility and survivability, though? Someone suggested that you're more mobile with Lightning, because you have procs which you can use "on the run".

Happy for any help you can provide.

Thanks.

On dmg term, both are the same, its just Lightning is a bit more burst and Madness has more sustained so you can put more pressure on the healer or whatever, on mobility Lightning is better but has less survivability than Madness, but say i want to be serious about doing the best i can on pvp, i would go with Madness, Lightning is really only play when im bored of Madness.

Any insights you can change with regards to the madness mechanics?

I've read conflicting posts on when to cast death field (with regards to number of people, etc).

"Rotation-wise" (as far as PVP goes), you're going along with something like this? http://dulfy.net/2015/12/21/swtor-4-0-madness-sorcerer-pvp-guide-by-dacri/

Gear-wise, you're going along with Bant? http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=847112

With Madness you gotta play very defensively, try not to be targeted, which is not easy but like let other ppl charge first,ect. About Death FIeld, dont stress it too much, one why to use it put your dots on someone, then switch to a person in the middle of everyone to spread it to as many ppl as you can or just place it manually. Rotation pretty much that, creeping terror>affliction>polarity shift>recklessness>death field or force leach>force leach or death field> force lightning> lightning strike>force lightning> lightning strike>ect. For gear I've been just running like 1300 alacrity 1800 crit, tho idk if that is the best build but it works for me, top dps on every match, as long as i did'nt join late.

How do you get so much crit? :eek:

I'm using Bant's guide in terms of enhancements/augments and all I get is 1372 crit and ala 1122 ...

in PvP, sorcs dont need accuracy, as no class have inherent force/tech resist like PvE mobs.

So you dump all the accuracy you have for more crit/alac and some mastery from augments. Even heavy ranged/melee based class typically run 105% max, and some even 0.

Bant's guide is about hitting the pve dummy, not WZ. They are an whole other world. I typically try to slap all my accuracy in non-set bonus pieces for easy swapping between pve and pvp, typically my MH/OH or implants/earpiece.

Is there a Crit Cap?

Currently, my stats are:

Mastery 3285

Power 1650

Crit 2083

Alacrity 1218

Accuracy 228

Anything overly ugly that I should change?

As said, any accuracy on a sorc is totally useless in pvp so replace that. Your alacrity could probably be a bit higher, your crit is a tad high, replacing 1-2 crit augment by mastery one probably would help (or the saber crystal from evecisrating to war hero)

Edited by verfallen

• 3 weeks later...
At the present moment, Madness puts out higher damage. Lightning has weaker aoe damage and weaker single target. I put this to the test on dummies and players and I find that Madness kills targets much faster. On top of this, Madness has leeches that restore health to you. Therefore, I believe that Madness is better. I do enjoy Lightning quite a bit, it's just not viable and that's really saying something because Madness isn't viable in ranked PvP right now either. The only thing that Lightning has on Madness is that Lightning can kite much better, has more mobility, and has better force management, allowing for more offhealing. According to Kre'a's guide for Darkness Assassin, Kre'a places Madness as a tier 2 spec and Lightning as a tier 3 spec. I completely agree with this assessment.