Note to Bioware/EA: No more Huttball maps

RaithHarth

Odessen proving grounds will haunt all of us till server shut down/

I gotta respond to that, but it will be long. Will put it in a spoiler tag so those concerned only with the OP and not OPG can find the part related:

OPG is no more RNG or more objective or require less damage/healing/combat than any other map. The only differences are:

1. In OPG, number farmers who don't care where and when they fight are more likely to be utterly useless than in any other map except for huttballs. This is due to the fact that the nodes move, so there is no fixed OBJECTIVE location where the number farmers can farm such as middle turret.

This is a problem only because the players are a problem when they choose to farm and ignore objective, If all players went for objective then obviously there would be clashes on the other nodes like in any other map.

2. In OPG, you can't stealth guard a node and sap-cap a node (even in huttball, stealth got better applications). Nobody ever complains these abilities are advantageous for certain classes only, but when I get to the next point -->

3. In OPG, stun and interrupt immunity give you an advantage <-- about this one, everyone yells "unfair". It is not less fair than sap-caps...

4. In OPG, a noob who can't read his own buffs or recognize colors can sabotage his group. The only other maps which are as easy to sabotage as a noob are huttball (be a leap target, or a stupid ball carrier) and hypergate (feed the enemy score).

This is again a player problem. Buffs have a text for a reason, and even those who don't read new unrecognizable buffs for the first time (a skill that people who figure new PVE content on their own have to have), should at least learn from trial and error. There is no excuse for using a red bonus on your own node more than once in a lifetime.

5. OPG is less intuitive than a normal node warzone or huttball.

About this one, nobody seems to remember it is still far more intuitive than hypergate, and regardless there are instructions in the loading screen which are quite enough for beginners. Again those who need more than 10 games to figure it all out need to work on their learning skills. It is not a new fundamental such as GSF, you already know how to fight in this game. All you need to do is figure out where and when to do it.

Some PVPers tend to look down on raiders, saying OPS are all about figuring mechanics and are therefore simple. It is odd that they then display the inability to figure the mechanics of a warzone...

6. In OPG there is a deathdrop in the north area of the map where people can push you.

So is there in voidstar, and unlike in OPG it is absolutely unavoidable. Nobody complains. In OPG, either be one who can push, be one who can resist being pushed or be somewhere else. 95% of the time, there will be one more active node beside turret anyway.

There is nothing wrong in OPG when the majority of both teams want and know how to play it right. Many very good games happen there from time to time. Much more close calls and smart gameplay than any huttball / voidstar.

Sooo, leaving OPG and returning to the OP, I agree. If there is a new warzone, it shouldn't be huttball. Reason enough is that with 4 huttballs, arenas and only 6 non-huttballs (among which, one is done injustice and is hated for no reason and people quit it too), the chances for a huttball match will be simply too high.

Also, while I understand dsync is a hard issue to fix, it is unwise to pretend it doesn't exist and add content that is severly affected by it. Can't fix, don't fix, but acknowledge it and make things that are the least affected.

Edited by Rafiknoll

OPG is no more RNG or more objective or require less damage/healing/combat than any other map. The only differences are:

1. In OPG, number farmers who don't care where and when they fight are more likely to be utterly useless than in any other map except for huttballs. This is due to the fact that the nodes move, so there is no fixed OBJECTIVE location where the number farmers can farm such as middle turret.

This is a problem only because the players are a problem when they choose to farm and ignore objective, If all players went for objective then obviously there would be clashes on the other nodes like in any other map.

2. In OPG, you can't stealth guard a node and sap-cap a node (even in huttball, stealth got better applications). Nobody ever complains these abilities are advantageous for certain classes only, but when I get to the next point -->

3. In OPG, stun and interrupt immunity give you an advantage <-- about this one, everyone yells "unfair". It is not less fair than sap-caps...

4. In OPG, a noob who can't read his own buffs or recognize colors can sabotage his group. The only other maps which are as easy to sabotage as a noob are huttball (be a leap target, or a stupid ball carrier) and hypergate (feed the enemy score).

This is again a player problem. Buffs have a text for a reason, and even those who don't read new unrecognizable buffs for the first time (a skill that people who figure new PVE content on their own have to have), should at least learn from trial and error. There is no excuse for using a red bonus on your own node more than once in a lifetime.

5. OPG is less intuitive than a normal node warzone or huttball.

About this one, nobody seems to remember it is still far more intuitive than hypergate, and regardless there are instructions in the loading screen which are quite enough for beginners. Again those who need more than 10 games to figure it all out need to work on their learning skills. It is not a new fundamental such as GSF, you already know how to fight in this game. All you need to do is figure out where and when to do it.

Some PVPers tend to look down on raiders, saying OPS are all about figuring mechanics and are therefore simple. It is odd that they then display the inability to figure the mechanics of a warzone...

6. In OPG there is a deathdrop in the north area of the map where people can push you.

So is there in voidstar, and unlike in OPG it is absolutely unavoidable. Nobody complains. In OPG, either be one who can push, be one who can resist being pushed or be somewhere else. 95% of the time, there will be one more active node beside turret anyway.

There is nothing wrong in OPG when the majority of both teams want and know how to play it right. Many very good games happen there from time to time. Much more close calls and smart gameplay than any huttball / voidstar.

Sooo, leaving OPG and returning to the OP, I agree. If there is a new warzone, it shouldn't be huttball. Reason enough is that with 4 huttballs, arenas and only 6 non-huttballs (among which, one is done injustice and is hated for no reason and people quit it too), the chances for a huttball match will be simply too high.

Most of this is just wrong.

I gotta respond to that, but it will be long. Will put it in a spoiler tag so those concerned only with the OP and not OPG can find the part related:

So far I like all the maps in the game, even the new ones, the new arena is a great addition and the new huttball is.... well, interesting :) I do play very little regs now but that is due to premades issue, not cause of the map.

Do you mean there are other reasons to say OPG sucks which I didn't cover that remain valid, or that things I said are wrong? Anyhow, I would like to see the details.

Just to drop two cents:

Most what you said is irrelevant and what is relaxant seems wrong.

Rng of the map is the biggest problem. You see , map can’t be competitive if it’s rng dependent because you can lose cuz of factors you can’t control. Assuming both teams are competitive and clues in. Mostly mods are a concern because orange is far superior to say red. I hope you can see the difference.... ?

Same with spawn, you can just happen to be close to node that activates therefore having best chance to cap it ...

Where in every wz every class is suitable enough to guard also against sap cap (1 enemy) in OPG one person on several classes may lose node to a pushback

Anyway this is just few things that make a map bad.

Edited by MackPol

Do you mean there are other reasons to say OPG sucks which I didn't cover that remain valid, or that things I said are wrong? Anyhow, I would like to see the details.

OPG is no more RNG or more objective or require less damage/healing/combat than any other map.

This is objectively incorrect and the rest of your points are subjective at best.

Anyone who thinks OPG is not more "objective" based then any other map, is most likely so set in their thoughts, noting reasons (and it would take paragraphs about how exactly only objectives matter) really wouldnt change your mind.

in short, a player who works the mods and knockbacks/roots/soft stuns + fotm class dcds can carry a win in OPG with a whopping 6k dmg. I've done it on both merc and deception assassin.

Edited by Seterade

Dear Bioware,

Can we please stop this endless huttball nightmare?

Queued 15 times today and got 13 Huttball matches - 1 arena and 1 opg... seriously, what the ****?

If you love your huttball so much be my guest but please give the rest of us a tickbox where it says "no huttball".

The amount of this new huttball wz is just beyond ridiculous -_-

Just to drop two cents:

Most what you said is irrelevant and what is relaxant seems wrong.

Rng of the map is the biggest problem. You see , map can’t be competitive if it’s rng dependent because you can lose cuz of factors you can’t control. Assuming both teams are competitive and clues in. Mostly mods are a concern because orange is far superior to say red. I hope you can see the difference.... ?

Same with spawn, you can just happen to be close to node that activates therefore having best chance to cap it ...

Where in every wz every class is suitable enough to guard also against sap cap (1 enemy) in OPG one person on several classes may lose node to a pushback

Anyway this is just few things that make a map bad.

If the teams truly play objective they will know how to scatter between the rounds and be ready to attack any node while already having a power-up. The nature of the power up is different, but in fact, anything has its usages, and each smart usage can be game-changing. A red power up is by far superior to orange when used by a smart sniper on an already blue node, while admittedly, orange is superior when the other team comes in greater force on your node or when score is 550-550ish.

Spawn location is not RNG-ish worse than spawn timer on any other map. Waiting 30s or waiting 2s can greatly impact your ability to stop the ball or save the door. Lets also not forget that all warzones still suffer greatly from the great RNG which is supposedly "matchmaking". A hypergate team without any stelather is in a disadvantage comapred to a team with 3 stealthers, but nobody complains about RNG.

I think there is a little misunderstanding here. I never said there is no RNG in OPG. There is, and not so little. It is just not any worse than voidstar or hypergate or huttball as far as the impact on the results of game is concerned.

Anyone who thinks OPG is not more "objective" based then any other map, is most likely so set in their thoughts, noting reasons (and it would take paragraphs about how exactly only objectives matter) really wouldnt change your mind.

in short, a player who works the mods and knockbacks/roots/soft stuns + fotm class dcds can carry a win in OPG with a whopping 6k dmg. I've done it on both merc and deception assassin.

I don't think we actually contradict. In my number 1 I kinda said what you probably mean here. When I say "it isn't more objective" I mean "those who don't like playing 'too' objective because it doesn't involve fighting will not find objective on Odessen worse than other warzones in that aspect".

If you play the objective and your enemy play the objective, like you said you can still have great fights and reach numbers.

If you are a number farmer, your objective contribution will admittedly be far less (as I said in number 1). But I really don't think number farmers who sacrifice victory and teamwork for numbers get to complain that their farming is less effective for the victory they supposedly don't care about...

I think there is a little misunderstanding here. I never said there is no RNG in OPG. There is, and not so little. It is just not any worse than voidstar or hypergate or huttball as far as the impact on the results of game is concerned.

There is a misunderstanding here for sure because it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

If I play with a good team vs a good team, we get blue / green each round and they get orange, who wins? If they control a node at the end of a round due to over-committing players but it spawns next round who caps it? It's honestly mind blowing how wrong you are.

Huttball, Hypergate, Voidstar, have no RNG spawns or bonuses. You are objectively incorrect.

Huttball, Hypergate, Voidstar, have no RNG spawns or bonuses. You are objectively incorrect.

They do. They have a large difference between a long spawn time and a short spawn time, which is very VERY game altering in voidstar's case for example. If you cleared a door but an op got out of spawn and rolled past your AOEs and basic attacked you, you fail. If he was locked for a few seconds longer, you win.

And to kill RNG's effect on OPG and never get the lower hand (at least not due to RNG), you need in the end of each round to send people to each of the power-up spawns. It is quite a short way from them to the nodes, and it is a risk (taking a risk = choosing to depend on RNG) to stay on your node once it is off, because it might not trigger in the next round. Since people are supposed to man any power-up spawn, it is going to be either you get the power up or you try to hinder and kill the enemy who snatched it. You speak as if you just let your enemy have free reign on his power up. Well of course if you did such a thing you succumb to RNG in case his is better than yours.

Using proper strategy, RNG is mostly mitigated. It can never disappear completely, but it goes down to the level of a spawn timer. So you are saying that OPG is bad because it requires some teamwork and strategy in order not to be dependant on RNG, and this teamwork and strategy is lacked so it IS usually RNG. Can't argue with that, but since it is again a player related problem, it is not enough for me to consider it a bad map. The 20% very good games I have there always beat any hypergate/huttball/yavin/arena. As for the other 80% where either or both sides are just bad, at least a single player with brains can fight and ensure the team will never lose 150 or less to 600, unlike in alderaan/yavin/novare where a single good player might as well not be there if he isn't a stealthed class, or he would get farmed just a bit slower than anyone else...

They do. They have a large difference between a long spawn time and a short spawn time, which is very VERY game altering in voidstar's case for example. If you cleared a door but an op got out of spawn and rolled past your AOEs and basic attacked you, you fail. If he was locked for a few seconds longer, you win.

And to kill RNG's effect on OPG and never get the lower hand (at least not due to RNG), you need in the end of each round to send people to each of the power-up spawns. It is quite a short way from them to the nodes, and it is a risk (taking a risk = choosing to depend on RNG) to stay on your node once it is off, because it might not trigger in the next round. Since people are supposed to man any power-up spawn, it is going to be either you get the power up or you try to hinder and kill the enemy who snatched it. You speak as if you just let your enemy have free reign on his power up. Well of course if you did such a thing you succumb to RNG in case his is better than yours.

Using proper strategy, RNG is mostly mitigated. It can never disappear completely, but it goes down to the level of a spawn timer. So you are saying that OPG is bad because it requires some teamwork and strategy in order not to be dependant on RNG, and this teamwork and strategy is lacked so it IS usually RNG. Can't argue with that, but since it is again a player related problem, it is not enough for me to consider it a bad map. The 20% very good games I have there always beat any hypergate/huttball/yavin/arena. As for the other 80% where either or both sides are just bad, at least a single player with brains can fight and ensure the team will never lose 150 or less to 600, unlike in alderaan/yavin/novare where a single good player might as well not be there if he isn't a stealthed class, or he would get farmed just a bit slower than anyone else...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at this.

Dear Bioware,

Can we please stop this endless huttball nightmare?

Queued 15 times today and got 13 Huttball matches - 1 arena and 1 opg... seriously, what the ****?

If you love your huttball so much be my guest but please give the rest of us a tickbox where it says "no huttball".

The amount of this new huttball wz is just beyond ridiculous -_-

That's actually a good idea, we should have the ability to select which warzones we wish to play in, hopefully Bioware is taking that into consideration.

Fingers crossed for 5.10 putting the map rotation weights back to normal.

Well you really need a lesson when it comes to presenting business data to your management.

If you introduce a new product it needs to be successful since it was your idea, you invested time and money into it and it needs to give good numbers so that management praises your efforts and investment. Bioware does this every time they introduce something. The same was with this new map.

They simply need to make a report to management saying: look people play our new huttball map! However, management is stupid, they don't realize they can make the map pop 80% of the time and therefore get positive numbers so...... the new huttball map will be a success in the reports. Easy. They did this with all the new things in the past, that's always how it works, so keep passing that hurtball :)

Would you care to program this AI for them? The moment that AI are as smart and reactive as human is when multiplayer games will be replaced by singleplayer and require no internet ;)

not my fault if game design path drive more player off then in !

note to Bioware, time to add pvp map selection in match making display !, just like you did for PVE content... and if it's a population matter, switch missing place by gold AI !

note to you. dont use gold lettering on forums. its against the rules to use posting tricks to appear similar to mods.

what you are basically doing is dressing up in a cop uniform and giving people advice/posts without haveing a badge (the bioware employee avatar)

Edited by Seterade

Desync is what kills all huttball's for me, used to enjoy the regular one but now it's instaleave, all thanks to desync, and desync only.

These days, this game is only for folks that live close to a server. The worst part for me is watching a player from Australia trying to run the huttball near a trap. This game just doesn't handle lag and high ping very well.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

• 2 weeks later...

No more Huttball period. There is very few things that I like about Huttball. I like kicking the ball. Okay only one thing, but then again you have to have the ball to kick it.

If you separated huttball from the other battlegrounds it would die.

People play it because it is what they got handed. I for one would be happy with only one Huttball map. This map would be flat with nothing in the way. The others can be deleted.

A perfect replacement would be capture the flag. Or capture the huttball. Two Huttballs on the field at once.

Makeb huttball a poor copy of the other. Yavin battleground another copy of Civil War. Both are the newest pvp maps and both are copies. New map promo cut it down to a single week.

Separate the 8v8 from the arena matches if I wanted to 4v4 I would go ranked.

Edited by Hawkebatt
typo