Flashpoints with companions

Dont worry, enough people have moved on so more than half of staff was fired and it goes F2P in less than a year, EA refuses to release sub numbers (yah, thos are THAT bad), game has gone from 220+ servers to 20, and we still have people like you preaching others to move on (yah i was here long time before release and people like you preached the same thing, you got what you wanted and we all can see how THAT turned out)

Do you insist on SWTOR shutting down?

Just hope that new dev team has more sense than the old one.

Hopefully the devs that left will make KOTOR 3 so the people who wanted KOTOR 3 will move there. I don't care for BW to waste money on this game turning it into a whole different genre of game.

I know, let's have the development team spend the next 90% of the budget and time making a really great tie fighter game! Yeah, cuz that's what this game should be. It should be a flight simulator!

Edited by Lostpenguins

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the devs that left will make KOTOR 3 so the people who wanted KOTOR 3 will move there. I don't care for BW to waste money on this game turning it into a whole different genre of game.

I know, let's have the development team spend the next 90% of the budget and time making a really great tie fighter game! Yeah, cuz that's what this game should be. It should be a flight simulator!

Yeah, is better that it just shuts down and just forget about it...i can see your point there. But EA cant really forget 300-500m $ hole in their pocket lol

Oh, and did you miss when BW claimed SWTOR was to be KOTOR 3-11? Well, they screwed it up. Badly. And so we have stellar results rofl.

Unfortunately, (later) devs had same attitude as yours and they got fired. Theres only so many people you can fire and so many servers you can shut down. Its not process that can be infinite lol

Edited by GrandMike

Yeah, is better that it just shuts down and just forget about it...i can see your point there. But EA cant really forget 300-500m $ whole in their pocket lol

Oh, and did you miss when BW claimed SWTOR was to be KOTOR 3-11? Well, they screwed it up. Badly. And so we have stellar results rolf.

Unfortunately, (later) devs had same attitude as yours and they got fired. Theres only so many people you can fire and so many servers you can shut down. Its not process that can be infinite lol

First, I would love to see a quote that this game is KOTOR 3-11.

Secondly, you missed my point. If they're going to spend more time and effort to retain the people whose sole focus is to play single-player, then that will take resources away from the people who play mmo's for the mmo experience. It's already bad enough that operations are on farm content the first week they come out... so yeah, let's just take away more development from those aspects so that some guy who I will never interact with (cuz he's too busy playing this game like a single player game) can solo FP's more easily.

Wasn't there a big rant by some dev who said that it's the tester's fault that "we" wanted this game more like KOTOR? So the only thing I can see is that in making this game more single player is the reason why this game failed. Here's the link: http://blogs.bettor.com/Anonymous-Bioware-Insider-blames-fans-for-SWTOR-Video-Games-Update-a173317

Specifically the quote:

"“EA blames us and to some extent they’re right to. But it was fan feedback from the day we opened the forums that encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow,” he stated mentioning that gamers actually wanted SWTOR to be more like Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR), a single player role playing game by Bioware before it was acquired by EA, rather than World of Warcraft (WoW)."

So if that article is true and that person is legit, it's the people crying to make this game more solo-friendly that's killing this game.

Please provide me with Developer comments or articles to say it was the MMO in this game that killed it.

Edited by Lostpenguins

Secondly, you missed my point. If they're going to spend more time and effort to retain the people whose sole focus is to play single-player, then that will take resources away from the people who play mmo's for the mmo experience. It's already bad enough that operations are on farm content the first week they come out... so yeah, let's just take away more development from those aspects so that some guy who I will never interact with (cuz he's too busy playing this game like a single player game) can solo FP's more easily.

Wasn't there a big rant by some dev who said that it's the tester's fault that "we" wanted this game more like KOTOR? So the only thing I can see is that in making this game more single player is the reason why this game failed. Here's the link: http://blogs.bettor.com/Anonymous-Bioware-Insider-blames-fans-for-SWTOR-Video-Games-Update-a173317

Specifically the quote:

"“EA blames us and to some extent they’re right to. But it was fan feedback from the day we opened the forums that encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow,” he stated mentioning that gamers actually wanted SWTOR to be more like Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR), a single player role playing game by Bioware before it was acquired by EA, rather than World of Warcraft (WoW)."

So if that article is true and that person is legit, it's the people crying to make this game more solo-friendly that's killing this game.

Please provide me with Developer comments or articles to say it was the MMO in this game that killed it.

You have nooooooooo idea.

Watch some of the oldest interviewes by Daniel Erickson, doctors and the rest.

Then watch some new ones.

Game has shifted from "KOTOR" experience to "MMO" experience and soooooooo many concessions were made because of MMO crowd that there is NO KOTOR experience left in SWTOR, everything is dumbed down so average WoW player can play it to his leisure, while fans of BW and KOTOR were left hanging in disbelief of SWTOR. Just look at excuse of the endgame, grind raids for gear. KOTOR?

SWTOR is pure WoW clone. To the last bit.

You must be very fresh in whole SWTOR affair, game was in development from 2005, forums opened very early and we tried to tell BW that what they are doing is a failure, of course, people like you convinced them that its "the right way".

They tried your way. It was spectacular failure, SWTOR is a candidade for biggest failure in computer games history.

Now, if they are smart, they will finally stop listening people like you, stop making game exclusively for people like you, and start making the game majority actually wants to play (and pay for), theres vry little time left, otherwise SWTOR will shut down next year. If you want to play WoW play WoW.

Now we dont need to speculate any more what will happen if they make the game for people like you, we have witnessed what happens when they make the game for people like you, experienced it first hand.

Maybe DIsney will have some savvy to put the matter (EA) in the right place.

Edited by GrandMike

It seems to me that flashpoint companions+ would be easy way to factor a little more stable player base. Some see this a purely "single player" enchament and bad, waste of time.

Well if it factors to keep the game alive, isn't it only positive? Of course I'm not sure its quick and easy. Maybe it could even make people participate less to groups (FP example), but in that case they didn't propably enjoy it much anyways.

Watch some of the oldest interviewes by Daniel Erickson, doctors and the rest.

Then watch some new ones.

Game has shifted from "KOTOR" experience to "MMO" experience and soooooooo many concessions were made because of MMO crowd that there is NO KOTOR experience left in SWTOR, everything is dumbed down so average WoW player can play it to his leisure, while fans of BW and KOTOR were left hanging in disbelief of SWTOR. Just look at excuse of the endgame, grind raids for gear. KOTOR?

SWTOR is pure WoW clone. To the last bit.

You must be very fresh in whole SWTOR affair, game was in development from 2005, forums opened very early and we tried to tell BW that what they are doing is a failure, of course, people like you convinced them that its "the right way".

They tried your way. It was spectacular failure, SWTOR is a candidade for biggest failure in computer games history.

Now, if they are smart, they will finally stop listening people like you, stop making game exclusively for people like you, and start making the game majority actually wants to play (and pay for), theres vry little time left, otherwise SWTOR will shut down next year. If you want to play WoW play WoW.

Now we dont need to speculate any more what will happen if they make the game for people like you, we have witnessed what happens when they make the game for people like you, experienced it first hand.

Maybe DIsney will have some savvy to put the matter (EA) in the right place.

Apparently I don't, but I guess you can't understand:

You told me just to look it up. Why don't you give me one of these links. I gave you a link that may or may not be true. It's arguable, I'll accept that, but right now you're providing information with no references... so try again.

Game has shifted from "KOTOR" experience to "MMO" experience and soooooooo many concessions were made because of MMO crowd that there is NO KOTOR experience left in SWTOR, everything is dumbed down so average WoW player can play it to his leisure, while fans of BW and KOTOR were left hanging in disbelief of SWTOR.

Agreed.

Story line while levelling - is the best and the brilliant part of SWTOR. It's what makes the game popular and wanted.

It's the strength of the game.

MMO part?

Craft is killed. post 50 gaming - just dull grinding. nothing new and nothing interesting.

Flashes and operations can have interesting story and plot behind - but people just run through it to get commendations or gear never looking around.

IMO - BW should let and make people live in flashes and operations, not just run through.

And i think, that is right when people can run flashs or even operations solo with companions - but just in easy/story mode. In order to learn the story and to train skills and rotations, to work on tactics and bosses' mechanics.

Give them a small reward, give just daily commendations for that - but it's better, than boring dailies.

Make a chain of flashs and operations - so it looks not like separate quests but like a whole story with united plot step by step, give to the people a post 50s storyline.

Best way to make people to cooperate - crafting system, not the group grinding.

Make gear from operations empty - without armorings, mods and enhancements, but with different set's bonus.

Make mods only craftable. Make crystals or barrels/hilts consumable and are to replace. Make high tier receipts and crafting materials available only through Flashs and Operations - and not only from bosses but from mob trash also. Make people think about choice in dialogues - make rewards depend on your replic choice.

Apparently I don't, but I guess you can't understand:

You dont.

You told me just to look it up. Why don't you give me one of these links. I gave you a link that may or may not be true. It's arguable, I'll accept that, but right now you're providing information with no references... so try again.

If you want to educate yourself on the matter do so, if not nobody cares. SWTOR devs know they screwed it up badly by cloning WoW and not make game for THEIR audience. They are all fired now. They listened to the wrong crowd: people like you.

Agreed.

Story line while levelling - is the best and the brilliant part of SWTOR. It's what makes the game popular and wanted.

It's the strength of the game.

MMO part?

Craft is killed. post 50 gaming - just dull grinding. nothing new and nothing interesting.

Flashes and operations can have interesting story and plot behind - but people just run through it to get commendations or gear never looking around.

IMO - BW should let and make people live in flashes and operations, not just run through.

And i think, that is right when people can run flashs or even operations solo with companions - but just in easy/story mode. In order to learn the story and to train skills and rotations, to work on tactics and bosses' mechanics.

Give them a small reward, give just daily commendations for that - but it's better, than boring dailies.

Make a chain of flashs and operations - so it looks not like separate quests but like a whole story with united plot step by step, give to the people a post 50s storyline.

Best way to make people to cooperate - crafting system, not the group grinding.

Make gear from operations empty - without armorings, mods and enhancements, but with different set's bonus.

Make mods only craftable. Make crystals or barrels/hilts consumable and are to replace. Make high tier receipts and crafting materials available only through Flashs and Operations - and not only from bosses but from mob trash also. Make people think about choice in dialogues - make rewards depend on your replic choice.

It would take a long time to make things right, but even small steps in right direction would bring back lot of people, but not with the attitude of previous poster "make more raids and gear grinds".

There has to be solo endgame, and not just crappy dailies, rewards should be spread around and not just in latest flashpoints and operations, crafting needs to be reworked from the ground....many more things to do like true space, pazaak, swoop racing...all the stuff that people want to see in SW game. Ditch all "new tier of gear" approach.

New raid/warzone and tier of gear every 6 months will make game shut down very quickly (or in maintenance mode like Vanguard which is even worse).

Of course, first step for them is to get out of EQ/WoW mentality, stop listening to people with such mentality and start making game people want to play (and pay for).

But all of this was said long before release and they just wouldnt listen. I wonder if they will start listening now, after this debacle.

Edited by GrandMike

Yes, because MMOs are meant to be played Solo...

Socialize, meet people with the random group finder, join a guild. You will likely meet 20 ******s for every 1 decent person but thats the same for real life.

You do realize that MMOs are about so much more than just grouping. I blame WoW for this.

I AM a solo player, I like solo challenge, but what you ask here is just stupid. Don't you want Ops to be solo-able too, while we're at it?

Even if some flashpoints don't require much skill, the only viable companion is a dps one, and even then it's not optimal since you often need to control him in addition to your own char, which almost has to be a tank, which lacks for the group finder to work.

I think there should be a solo lvl 50 option, though, with statistically lowered reward, so that we always have the option to do something else than doing the boring dailies... though that would become boring too after some time.

I remember the times when I went to Darkness Falls with my Warrior/Shaman duo during early hours, killing linked high-red and purples for gathering purposes... What has SWTOR to offer when there's not much people on the server?

Edited by JMCH

Specifically the quote:

Is it really that suprising that people wanted Bioware, the makers of amazing single player RPGs who are well known for crafting amazing stories with great companion interaction, to focus on making a really good story and making this game as good as their previous games. I mean who expected this game to be WoW.

Honestly as I play through this game I'm constantly barraged by all the ways this would have been improved as a single player RPG. Like all the Heroic 4s that require me to stop and look for someone to help, which completely kills my momentum through the story. The companion interaction is bare bones, you spend so much time giving them gifts and saying things they agree with. Companions almost never chime in with anything during the world quests, maybe like one or two lines here and there on an entire planet. Occasionaly you have enough affection and have gotten far enough in the story to get a conversation with them and then it's back to silence. In the other Bioware games you talk to companions after every mission, and most of the companions have their own personal quest you can help them with. Then there's my biggest annoyance, the lack of companion banter. Because we're limited to one companion we never get to hear our companions banter amongst eachother. Like maybe Vette would have something to say about how much of a suck-up Quinn is. Nope, because this is an MMO we can't have any banter or companion lines so that we can have random jacks group up with us.

If you want to educate yourself on the matter do so, if not nobody cares. SWTOR devs know they screwed it up badly by cloning WoW and not make.

Who is "their audience"? You? The person who wants this to be the next KOTOR? A single player rpg? Sorry, this game isn't that. Feel free to correct me when you find this game labeled as a single player rpg.

Stop whining. You're not getting what you want.

/thread

Edited by Lostpenguins

Who is "their audience"? You? The person who wants this to be the next KOTOR? A single player rpg? Sorry, this game isn't that. Feel free to correct me when you find this game labeled as a single player rpg.

Stop whining. You're not getting what you want.

/thread

Ha ha ha ha ha, yah, game is doing wonderful, you use same rethorics as your "predecessors".

To bad that what happened is EXCACTLY what we told them will happen if they do what they did, i have personal satisfaction to say WE were RIGHT and people like you, together with BW and EA were WRONG..

Anyway, the game is awesome, yet noone wants to play it. It reminded me of same line EQ2 dev posted on their forums when it was going F2P, and then proceeded to whine and wonder why noone wants to play "best game evah" rofl. Yah...pure awesomness.To bad nobody wants to pay for such "awesomness".

Enjoy.

Edited by GrandMike

Ha ha ha ha ha, yah, game is doing womderful, you use same rethorics as your "predecessors".

To bad that what happened is EXCACTLY what we told them will happen if they do what they did, i have personal satisfaction to say WE were RIGHT and people like you, together with BW and EA were WRONG..

Anyway, the game is awesome, yet noone wants to play it. It reminded me of same line EQ2 dev posted on their forums when it was going F2P, and then proceeded to whine and wonder why noone wants to play "best game evah" rofl. Yah...pure awesomness.To bad nobody wants to pay for such "awesomness".

Enjoy.

Not sure who would want to subscribe for KOTOR 3. You? Well, that's 1. I can't see anyone wanting to pay $15/month to play a single player game. All single player games I've seen can be beaten in less than a month meaning they would have to come out with KOTOR 4 in a month, KOTOR 5 the next month, etc. What single player RPG can churn out those numbers? And for $15 for each of those (since it's $15 a month and they'd need to have one release every month) what developer would make a profit?

You're the one who needs to get your head out of the clouds if you think that's feasible.

I don't understand how you can pat yourself on the back and say that you were right? I know scores of guilds and people who left because this game wasn't hardcore enough. There are tons of people who are annoyed they spent so much time on voice dialog and focusing so much on the solo experience that they ended up creating operations that are too easy and too quickly over. I'm one of those in that boat. 4 or 5 bosses for an operation that's completed in 1 week and then farmed in an hour or two the following weeks. Are you kidding me?

Keep believing in your pipe dream that turning this MMO into a Single Player RPG will save the day. Good luck with that.

I've already used my tanking companion in several flash points after the tank/s left due to their severe lack of tanking gear. Pvp gear and less health than the healer doesn't get you a very far in hardmode flash points.

Most tanks in HMFP's have less HP than my sawbones. :p

However, I agree with you, I have used my dps companion more than once to finish a HMFP when the tank quit or DC.

Not sure who would want to subscribe for KOTOR 3. You? Well, that's 1. I can't see anyone wanting to pay $15/month to play a single player game. All single player games I've seen can be beaten in less than a month meaning they would have to come out with KOTOR 4 in a month, KOTOR 5 the next month, etc. What single player RPG can churn out those numbers? And for $15 for each of those (since it's $15 a month and they'd need to have one release every month) what developer would make a profit?

You're the one who needs to get your head out of the clouds if you think that's feasible.

I don't understand how you can pat yourself on the back and say that you were right? I know scores of guilds and people who left because this game wasn't hardcore enough. There are tons of people who are annoyed they spent so much time on voice dialog and focusing so much on the solo experience that they ended up creating operations that are too easy and too quickly over. I'm one of those in that boat. 4 or 5 bosses for an operation that's completed in 1 week and then farmed in an hour or two the following weeks. Are you kidding me?

Keep believing in your pipe dream that turning this MMO into a Single Player RPG will save the day. Good luck with that.

You have no clue what im talking about, you have no clue what happened to SWTOR over the years, you have no clue about anything.

Harder operations? Really? That would save the game? AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Man, i havent laughed like this since, well, this morning and "the game is awesome yet noone wants to play it" statement.

You had your game. It tanked. Once and for all people like you have to accept the facts: games you want are dead.

You have no clue what im talking about, you have no clue what happened to SWTOR over the years, you have no clue about anything.

Harder operations? Really? That would save the game? AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Man, i havent laughed like this since, well, this morning and "the game is awesome yet noone wants to play it" statement.

You had your game. It tanked. Once and for all people like you have to accept the facts: games you want are dead.

Um, games that you want are dead. Hence, no KOTOR 3. I think that speaks miles beyond the silly stuff you're spouting.

If BW really wanted to focus on DA3 and KOTOR 3 then there'd be a KOTOR 3 and a DA3.

Edited by Lostpenguins

Not sure who would want to subscribe for KOTOR 3. You? Well, that's 1.

plus a lot of people who rolls alts to enjoy instead of post 50s PUGing or dull grinding.

I can't see anyone wanting to pay $15/month to play a single player game.

Do you know how Starcraft 3 sells?

Nobody said it should be Single Player RPG.

It was said that all of the content should be available to a single player. The whole story.

Not the gear. Grind operations for BIS gear in groups only.

Restriction to content is not the best way to make a community, it is the worst way IMO.

And MMO can live only with community.

Not with munchkin PUGs screwing the story by hitting space to skip dialogues in order to run and fast farm.

Edited by pan_sObak

I am cool with that so long as the reward is reduced to reflect the difficulty.

I completely agree with this statement, as fun as it would be, obviously the difficulty would have to be decreased significantly, but the idea still stands and is a very valid idea! I think it would be a blast!

Um, games that you want are dead. Hence, no KOTOR 3. I think that speaks miles beyond the silly stuff you're spouting.

If BW really wanted to focus on DA3 and KOTOR 3 then there'd be a KOTOR 3 and a DA3.

And hence SWTOR is candidate for biggest failure in video game history Thats YOUR game.

You really like going in circles writing nonsense with no arguments whatsoever.

Oh, and btw, BW is making DA3, but you are clueless about that as well. People like you usually are. Clueless.

Not with munchkin PUGs screwing the story by hitting space to skip dialogues in order to run and fast farm.

No story in FPs/OPs after Esseles/Boarding party are direct result of people like him complaining that "all teh story and spacebarring will get in a way of farming instances" Yup. Thats why they only showcased Esseles pre-launch. People were very dissapointed about this when they found out, and majority points Esseles as best instance in SWTOR.

They also said instances would have mulitple ways through them, crew skills would play a great deal, and bosses in FPs/OPs wont be one big guy pounding at group. Guess how that turned out lol.

Edited by GrandMike

And hence SWTOR is candidate for biggest failure in video game history Thats YOUR game.

You really like going in circles writing nonsense with no arguments whatsoever.

Oh, and btw, BW is making DA3, but you are clueless about that as well. People like you usually are. Clueless.

No story in FPs/OPs after Esseles/Boarding party are direct result of people like him complaining that "all teh story and spacebarring will get in a way of farming instances" Yup. Thats why they only showcased Esseles pre-launch. People were very dissapointed about this when they found out, and majority points Esseles as best instance in SWTOR.

They also said instances would have mulitple ways through them, crew skills would play a great deal, and bosses in FPs/OPs bosses wont be one big guy pounding at group. Guess how that turned out lol.

What makes this game regarded as failure by the media and consumers is because this game was advertised and expected to be that "WoW Killer" which it wasn't. This game remains the most successful MMO out there after WoW itself. It is by no means dying - contrary to popular belief.

This game remains the most successful MMO out there after WoW itself. It is by no means dying

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. You seem as clueless as person i responded in previous post. The only thing SWTOR was most successful in was losing subscribers. They set a record thats gonna be hard to beat :)

Even EvE is doing better than SWTOR, and EvE is regarded as niche game rofl

Edited by GrandMike

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. You seem as clueless as person i responded in previous post. The only thing SWTOR was most successful in was losing subscribers. They set a record thats gonna be hard to beat :)

Even EvE is doing better than SWTOR, and EvE is regarded as niche game rofl

The numbers speak for themselves, you seem to attack anyone presenting an opinion that does not accept yours like a rabid dog. Why the aggressiveness and intolerance to opinions other than your own?. This game, with it's inbetween 1M to 500k subscribers, remains the 2nd most popular subscribe mode MMORPG.

They should have just made a single player RPG. Mass Effect 3 sold a lot of copies. I'm sure they could have made a good profit on KotOR 3, and it would have given them a much better reputation than this game. Helping to sell their next game, because right now everyone is saying Dragon Age 3 is a watch before buying, instead of the day one purchase like older Bioware games.

The numbers speak for themselves, you seem to attack anyone presenting an opinion that does not accept yours like a rabid dog. Why the aggressiveness and intolerance to opinions other than your own?. This game, with it's inbetween 1M to 500k subscribers, remains the 2nd most popular subscribe mode MMORPG.

Oooooh, no no no, i "attack" anyone who ignores big blue elephant in the room.

And no, SWTOR has nowhere near 500k subs, you missed that on last investors call they refused to talk about subscriptions

Even CEO of EA called SWTOR a miss.

Anyway, it seems its time to just start quoting myself:

Dont worry, enough people have moved on so more than half of staff was fired and it goes F2P in less than a year, EA refuses to release sub numbers (yah, thos are THAT bad), game has gone from 220+ servers to 20, and we still have people like you preaching others to move on (yah i was here long time before release and people like you preached the same thing, you got what you wanted and we all can see how THAT turned out)

Do you insist on SWTOR shutting down?

Just hope that new dev team has more sense than the old one.

Edited by GrandMike