Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Only highest absorb value counts for mitigation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Only highest absorb value counts for mitigation

Benirons
10.12.2019 , 12:17 PM | #1
I was taking a closer look at my DTPS logs to better understand how absorb really works.

I have a few examples which give the theory in the title a strong case.

Case 1: juggy saber ward + sorc bubble vs double monster pulverize

Result: Versus the first tick of pulverize damage, saber ward was completely ignored. I know this because the absorbed amount is a very specific value of 14227 (i have seen this value pop up many times) which appears to be the amount of dmg sorc bubble can mitigate with my healers mastery value.

Combat log: 38999 dmg taken, 14227 dmg absorbed, 53226 threat (this last value will make more sense soon)

With the first tick sorc bubble got used up, therefore saber ward was useful for the next hit of pulverize.

Combat log: 39920 dmg taken, 13306 dmg absorbed, 53226 threat

The damage absorbed is exactly 25% (saber ward absorbs a quarter of dmg) of the amount of threat the attack did (which is basically the value the attack would have done in terms of damage completely unmitigated).

Since saber ward absorbs less damage than a fresh sorc bubble (in this case at least), only sorc bubble absorb was used. In short i have lost out on preventing 13306 dmg on the first tick of pulverize.

Case 2: sorc bubble and force scream bubble vs TFB scream

Force scream bubble was ignored every single time when i was sorc bubbled b4 scream. My force scream bubble even got removed after damage from scream was taken, losing out on some 4k dmg absorbed. The only time force scream bubble did successfully absorb scream dmg, was when i had no sorc bubble on me.

TLDR: mixing % absorb with a flat absorb or mixing various flat absorbs will only result in the highest absorb value being utilised, the rest ignored (or even removed entirely w/o any benefit). I dont yet know what happens when u mix various % absorbs like saber ward + shield adrenal.

Edit:

I tested saber ward (25% absorb) and shield adrenal (30% absorb) together while standing in melt armour puddle of bug WB on ossus.

Each tick of melt armour is always the same: 29978 dmg if unmitigated (with 20% tank iternal DR).

With just saber ward i absorbed 7494 dmg (expected value).

With just adrenal i absorbed 8993 dmg (expected value).

With both saber ward and adrenal, i absorbed 6745 dmg (wth? 25% and 30% absorb results in a 22.5% absorb?).

The above makes absolutely no sense.

Terro_Fett
10.12.2019 , 02:43 PM | #2
This is why the Reactive Warding relic for tanks is near useless.

Whenever it procs it puts a shield up that absorbs ~5000 damage. However if you have any other absorbing shield/etc. in effect that is greater than 5k, not only does the 5k shield get ignored, but it still gets consumed by the attack without doing anything.

As for your last example, that is a terrible bug.

MasterRummy
10.12.2019 , 06:35 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Benirons View Post
I was taking a closer look at my DTPS logs to better understand how absorb really works.

I have a few examples which give the theory in the title a strong case.

Case 1: juggy saber ward + sorc bubble vs double monster pulverize

Result: Versus the first tick of pulverize damage, saber ward was completely ignored. I know this because the absorbed amount is a very specific value of 14227 (i have seen this value pop up many times) which appears to be the amount of dmg sorc bubble can mitigate with my healers mastery value.

Combat log: 38999 dmg taken, 14227 dmg absorbed, 53226 threat (this last value will make more sense soon)

With the first tick sorc bubble got used up, therefore saber ward was useful for the next hit of pulverize.

Combat log: 39920 dmg taken, 13306 dmg absorbed, 53226 threat

The damage absorbed is exactly 25% (saber ward absorbs a quarter of dmg) of the amount of threat the attack did (which is basically the value the attack would have done in terms of damage completely unmitigated).

Since saber ward absorbs less damage than a fresh sorc bubble (in this case at least), only sorc bubble absorb was used. In short i have lost out on preventing 13306 dmg on the first tick of pulverize.

Case 2: sorc bubble and force scream bubble vs TFB scream

Force scream bubble was ignored every single time when i was sorc bubbled b4 scream. My force scream bubble even got removed after damage from scream was taken, losing out on some 4k dmg absorbed. The only time force scream bubble did successfully absorb scream dmg, was when i had no sorc bubble on me.

TLDR: mixing % absorb with a flat absorb or mixing various flat absorbs will only result in the highest absorb value being utilised, the rest ignored (or even removed entirely w/o any benefit). I dont yet know what happens when u mix various % absorbs like saber ward + shield adrenal.

Edit:

I tested saber ward (25% absorb) and shield adrenal (30% absorb) together while standing in melt armour puddle of bug WB on ossus.

Each tick of melt armour is always the same: 29978 dmg if unmitigated (with 20% tank iternal DR).

With just saber ward i absorbed 7494 dmg (expected value).

With just adrenal i absorbed 8993 dmg (expected value).

With both saber ward and adrenal, i absorbed 6745 dmg (wth? 25% and 30% absorb results in a 22.5% absorb?).

The above makes absolutely no sense.
What you are assuming is that your shield is triggering based on its percentage which its not. And then based on the trigger how much are you are absorbing the hit. So if shield is 1/3 then you have less hen 1/3 chance to shield the hit amd then based on that absorb what it can take, which is why yes warding relic is your life savor as well as other options that you should be thinking about. And lets please not even discuss dcds as most are a joke these days.

Benirons
10.12.2019 , 08:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Terro_Fett View Post
This is why the Reactive Warding relic for tanks is near useless.

Whenever it procs it puts a shield up that absorbs ~5000 damage. However if you have any other absorbing shield/etc. in effect that is greater than 5k, not only does the 5k shield get ignored, but it still gets consumed by the attack without doing anything.

As for your last example, that is a terrible bug.
Thanks for the confirmation. I have not been using reactive warding since forever cause im not a fan of RNG mitigation (does not help u on demand when u need it most).

Ill go ahead and post these findings in bug report as well.