Accuracy in end game

I'm a little confused on how much I actually need, and whether it is essential to reach a certain number over having a higher crit multiplier.

The basic part I understand is with a 100% your attacks wont be missed or dodged by normal mobs, but then I hear that operation bosses have a 10% buff to their defence chance. But the thing that confuses me is the fact many people say that stock endgame gear (like stock rakata or BH) has too much accuracy and that needs to be replaced in order to hit a certain DPS target.

My sent which is in full 61 tier gear is currently sitting at the 285 rating which is 99.89 with the 1% companion buff, I know I got to push that to 100% but do I need to go far above that for operations bosses or is there something I'm missing?

lol, yeah, yesterday I was spending some Rakata and Columi tokens on my jugg tank for offspec . After I finish, I see my melee accuracy is over 103 % (without the skills from Vengeance tree) and my surge was 60 % :D

Anyway, never quite understood that 10% bonus to def on bosses, but in any case, if I'm reading this chart right, you would need to get your (melee) accuracy rating near 900 to fully counter that 10% and that would hurt your stats more than anything.

I'd say just upgrade a few Acute or Initiative enhancements from 61 to 63 and you should get melee accuracy 100%. Don't go beyond that.

On my Vanguard after getting rid of my accuracy enhancment from my rakata gear I went from 30% shield chance to 50% and shield absorb from 30% to 42% so I think that's worth more than the 10% accuracy I lost by doing so. Oh but i added some augments too so the numbers may be a little less but still worth more that the accuracy. Edited by zgiety

I'm a little confused on how much I actually need, and whether it is essential to reach a certain number over having a higher crit multiplier.

The basic part I understand is with a 100% your attacks wont be missed or dodged by normal mobs, but then I hear that operation bosses have a 10% buff to their defence chance. But the thing that confuses me is the fact many people say that stock endgame gear (like stock rakata or BH) has too much accuracy and that needs to be replaced in order to hit a certain DPS target.

My sent which is in full 61 tier gear is currently sitting at the 285 rating which is 99.89 with the 1% companion buff, I know I got to push that to 100% but do I need to go far above that for operations bosses or is there something I'm missing?

You have three types of abilities... 'normal' attacks, 'special' attacks and for your Sentinel, 'force' attacks.

Normal and special attacks are the white numbers, and force/tech attacks are yellow.

Your yellow attacks will never miss, but can be dodged/parried. Yellow attacks have a base 100% accuracy and any +accuracy you add will lessen the chance for those abilities to be dodged/parried.

Your normal/special 'white' attacks are different. 'Normal' attacks, which for the most part, only include your auto attack (slash, rapid shots, etc.) while your special attacks are pretty much everything else. 'Normal' attacks have a base 90% accuracy while 'special' attacks have a base 100%. 'Special' attacks work the same as 'force/tech' attacks in that they will never miss, but can be dodged/parried.

If you hover over your accuracy stat in both melee/ranged attacks, you'll see the number difference between 'normal' and 'special.'

To answer your question, you want 100% MELEE/RANGED ACCURACY. Don't concern yourself with force/tech accuracy. To clarify, when you open your character window and look under melee/ranged without hovering or clicking on anything, you want that number to 100%.

For example on my Mercenary, I have 100.27% ranged accuracy with an accuracy rating of 300.0.

There are 4 attack types.

Force and Tech:

- can't be dodged, parried or shielded.

Melee and Ranged:

- can be dodged, parried and shielded

Accuracy counts against defense (dodge/parry) and shield chance and only benefits melee and ranged attacks, which make for a fraction of your skill pool. That is why tanks in this game are loosing so much HP, compared to other games. Only armor mitigates Force and Tech attacks.

You can distinguish the attack types by opening your skill window and turn your attention to the column on the right side.

Edited by lokozar

Tanks should never, ever have any accuracy in their gear.

I disagree. When you miss an attack, especially a sundering strike, you generate 0 threat.

You should have 110% accuracy on Force/Tech to not miss on boss fights.

It may or may not be true that Guardian tanks can make good use of accuracy, but accuracy is the worst possible stat for Vanguard and Shadow tanks. High impact bolt misses once in a while, and that's about it. If for some reason you wanted to take dps stats instead of tanking stats you'd be much better off with crit, power, or surge.

I disagree. When you miss an attack, especially a sundering strike, you generate 0 threat.

What you're not realizing is that Accuracy is actually a *worse* stat for threat generation than Power is. Yes, if you miss, you generate 0 threat but the chance of missing is so low that the itemization you devote to making sure you won't miss would actually be put to better use as Power since it makes sure that those attacks that *do* hit, which are already going to be a massive majority of them, generate more threat. Accuracy is a *wasted* stat for tanks: you generate more threat faster with Power, and you shouldn't even *need* it considering how easy threat is to generate and manage with Taunt spamming. You don't even need to hit with Strike or Sundering Strike in order to get the Focus, so *that* isn't even an issue.

You should have 110% accuracy on Force/Tech to not miss on boss fights.

Force/Tech attacks default to a 100% hit chance and NPCs default to a 0% resistance chance: you're not going to miss with an F/T unless some other ability is in play that reduces your chance to hit and those aren't common enough or even outside of your control such that you should stack any accuracy at all to make up for it. This is why you should never see a Sage or Sorc with any accuracy: it's completely wasted. M/R special attacks (re: everything except for your basic attacks: Rapid Shots, Hammer Shot, Saber Strike, and Strike) need, at most, 6-8% accuracy to not miss because they default to 100% accuracy and ops bosses have 6-8% defense chance. 10% is redundant.

Kitru, do you have a website with data that supports your hypothesis? If so, I would be interested in reading it for myself. If not, then you are also citing your opinion, at which point we disagree - such is life.

From my readings of other websites (noxxic and mmo-champions), they disagree with your statement. Also, my infrequent review of my combat logs when I had sub 100% accuracy and over 100% accuracy skew to my opinion. I recognize we are discussing probabilities and trends, and need sufficiently large sample sets to draw any reasonable conclusion. But there are ways to test hypothesis, without resorting to only entrenched opinions.

Kitru, do you have a website with data that supports your hypothesis? If so, I would be interested in reading it for myself. If not, then you are also citing your opinion, at which point we disagree - such is life.

Just check out TORparse. Tam (KeyboardNinja) is a Shadow tank that I know doesn't stack accuracy at all and yet manages only to miss ~3% of the time with Double Strike and 13% with Saber Strike. If the 10% were actually required, he would be missing roughly 9% of the time, rather than 3% (1% Legacy accuracy and whatnot).

From my readings of other websites (noxxic and mmo-champions), they disagree with your statement.

Noxxic is just full of bad. It's almost completely out of date, uses flawed stat prioritization that ignores the realities of gearing in TOR (not to mention *vastly* overvaluing accuracy for *every class*), and generally just has *bad* information; as I've said to other people, if a bad that thinks he's good is doing something wrong, chances are he's read noxxic and has no clue how bad he actually is. MMO-Champions is *painfully* out of date, as are most of the other sites other than this one, mainly because a lot of people stopped posting on them when they quit the game 6-8 months ago. It used to be on the forefront of theorycrafting, but it's now a fair deal behind the times.

The information I use is based on the information my parser tells me (I use MoX). When I have no accuracy and never miss with my F/T attacks *at all* and miss only ~3-5% of the time with Double Strike and Spinning Strike, I feel pretty confident in saying that, no, raid bosses do *not* have 10% Defense chance, and, in fact, accuracy is less valuable than Power, which contributes more to your DPS based on Math (when I can prove that, as a tank, stacking Accuracy provides less DPS than Power when you're only using your basic attack, it's pretty well been debunked, and I've done it a few times).

It wasn't until the combat log was released and that parsers started actually seeing use that people started actually figuring out how much defense chance operations bosses actually had. The 10% you see recommended was simply a lot of players following suit when a developer said "tanks can experience returns from accuracy of up to 10%" when asked why there was so much accuracy on tank gear; it didn't mean that it was even *remotely* optimal, nor did it mean that you actually *need* anything approaching that much, but a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon, even if it didn't hold true according to *any* testing or analysis. It's this that most of the third party sites get their arbitrary 110% from, even if it's not true. It's also why I don't trust *any* of those sites or even expect them to be 3rd party verified: they're almost all painfully out of date and, even then, they were using arbitrary allotments rather than math to actually arrive at their conclusions.

There is nothing wrong with mixing some DPS gear ton your tank. However accuracy gives you the least amount of increase in damage per points spent, as it only applies to non-force/non-tech attacks. Power. crit and surge will apply to all of your attacks.

You will, at least when parsing on the dummy, absolutely miss your special attacks@98% accuracy. To be fair, I can't speak for Ops bosses because I've typically only paid a lot of attention to my parses for progression content where I've been as close to 100% without going over as possible.

Just check out TORparse. Tam (KeyboardNinja) is a Shadow tank that I know doesn't stack accuracy at all and yet manages only to miss ~3% of the time with Double Strike and 13% with Saber Strike. If the 10% were actually required, he would be missing roughly 9% of the time, rather than 3% (1% Legacy accuracy and whatnot).

Noxxic is just full of bad. It's almost completely out of date, uses flawed stat prioritization that ignores the realities of gearing in TOR (not to mention *vastly* overvaluing accuracy for *every class*), and generally just has *bad* information; as I've said to other people, if a bad that thinks he's good is doing something wrong, chances are he's read noxxic and has no clue how bad he actually is. MMO-Champions is *painfully* out of date, as are most of the other sites other than this one, mainly because a lot of people stopped posting on them when they quit the game 6-8 months ago. It used to be on the forefront of theorycrafting, but it's now a fair deal behind the times.

The information I use is based on the information my parser tells me (I use MoX). When I have no accuracy and never miss with my F/T attacks *at all* and miss only ~3-5% of the time with Double Strike and Spinning Strike, I feel pretty confident in saying that, no, raid bosses do *not* have 10% Defense chance, and, in fact, accuracy is less valuable than Power, which contributes more to your DPS based on Math (when I can prove that, as a tank, stacking Accuracy provides less DPS than Power when you're only using your basic attack, it's pretty well been debunked, and I've done it a few times).

It wasn't until the combat log was released and that parsers started actually seeing use that people started actually figuring out how much defense chance operations bosses actually had. The 10% you see recommended was simply a lot of players following suit when a developer said "tanks can experience returns from accuracy of up to 10%" when asked why there was so much accuracy on tank gear; it didn't mean that it was even *remotely* optimal, nor did it mean that you actually *need* anything approaching that much, but a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon, even if it didn't hold true according to *any* testing or analysis. It's this that most of the third party sites get their arbitrary 110% from, even if it's not true. It's also why I don't trust *any* of those sites or even expect them to be 3rd party verified: they're almost all painfully out of date and, even then, they were using arbitrary allotments rather than math to actually arrive at their conclusions.

You do realize you can't replace power with accuracy right? DPS trading heavily DRed surge for some accuracy (Your options are alacrity, surge or accuracy) is the best option for min/maxing but it won't make a huge difference either way.

Edited by SharpG

You do realize you can't replace power with accuracy right? DPS trading heavily DRed surge for some accuracy (Your options are alacrity, surge or accuracy) is the best option for min/maxing but it won't make a huge difference either way.

For DPS, yes, Accuracy competes with Surge and Alacrity on enhancements. For tanks, on the other hand, it competes with Shield rating, which tanks should always taking over Accuracy. Of course, in the pursuit of arbitrarily desired Accuracy, some tanks will actually aug for Accuracy, which should never be done, mainly because said accuracy will improve your DPS less than you would get by taking power or your primary stat.

Of course, for DPS, Accuracy is actually a worthwhile stat, but that's not what I was referring to; I was specifically rebuking the comment that Tanks should ever have accuracy on their gear when they have no mechanical reason to do so.

For DPS, yes, Accuracy competes with Surge and Alacrity on enhancements. For tanks, on the other hand, it competes with Shield rating, which tanks should always taking over Accuracy. Of course, in the pursuit of arbitrarily desired Accuracy, some tanks will actually aug for Accuracy, which should never be done, mainly because said accuracy will improve your DPS less than you would get by taking power or your primary stat.

Of course, for DPS, Accuracy is actually a worthwhile stat, but that's not what I was referring to; I was specifically rebuking the comment that Tanks should ever have accuracy on their gear when they have no mechanical reason to do so.

Ah, right, augging for accuracy is a big no no for any class in the game lol

The operations training dummy is supposed to have the same defensive stats as raid bosses.

This is the result of accidentally replacing the wrong enhancement yesterday and dropping my accuracy to 98.43%, rail shot hitting only 97.96% of the time - aka the expected amount if it has 10% defense considering that railshot has 10% bonus accuracy. It could be slightly lower and that result was just me being slightly unlucky, but it has to be higher than 8.43% since I'd have been hitting 100% of the time otherwise. The rapid shots results would even indicate that the defense is a little bit higher (86.48% accuracy in this parse), but that's probably just bad luck.