Returning to Powertech

MikeFL

Hey all,

Back when the game first came out, I made a Powertech. The idea of non-Force user tank was appealing, and the BH animations of punching people in the face and then shooting fire at them just seemed like over-the-top fun.

I got to level 24 at the end of Nar Shadda, and stopped playing because the story was not really holding me. I also have an Agent, Sorcerer and Jedi Knight, and compared to those stories it just felt like the BH wasn't doing anything. Now I am back playing TOR again and almost have my first level 50 character (Sorc). My Guardian is my Republic tank but I'd really like to have an Empire tank. I was debating about making another Inquisitor to play as an Assassin, but I'm not sure if I should replay that class twice. I'd like to give the BH another shot.

That being said, I have two questions for all you hunters! First, does the story pick up at all from the "go kill this bro cuz he's gonna be great huntin' you"? Not that its a bad premise, it just hasn't "grabbed" me like the other stories yet. Second, I know that all the tank AC's in this game are viable so I'm not going to ask if the Powertech is better than the Assassin. However, what do you like best about Ptech tanking that other AC's don't offer?

Thanks so much for your help guys!

Despite the claim that all roles are balanced, actually the Powertech sucks at tanking compared to other classes. If you want a Tank role then don't go Powertech, it is built for damage mobility and can be very good at this.

^^^^ must not be a good tank.

I have all 3 tanking classes. Powertech is just as good as a sin or juggy. Sin's and Juggy's have more Oh sh*t buttons. Pt's are a fun tank having pull and leap, good aoe, and they take a smoother damage. Sin's produce more threat than the other 2(jug is the worst threat and dps). Powertechs and Sin's are much better at handling trash pulls b/c that have more aoe. Juggy's tend to do really well on single target bosses because of the Oh sh*t buttons. All in all they are all good. I'd say they juggy could be the most difficult due to poor threat and 100 defensive CD's, sin next b/c your always hitting dark ward and watching for your 3 stacks of HD(which after playing it a bit get to be second nature), Pt's are prob the most easy you stand there and get smashed in the face you have 2 CD's Oil Slick(which imo is underrated) should always be used on CD and Energy Shield.

I love my powertech and i reccomend it to everyone but recently i've switched him to DPS and gone tank on my Sin. Dps on the PT's is hard to pass up.

^^^^ must not be a good tank.

I have all 3 tanking classes. Powertech is just as good as a sin or juggy. Sin's and Juggy's have more Oh sh*t buttons. Pt's are a fun tank having pull and leap, good aoe, and they take a smoother damage. Sin's produce more threat than the other 2(jug is the worst threat and dps). Powertechs and Sin's are much better at handling trash pulls b/c that have more aoe. Juggy's tend to do really well on single target bosses because of the Oh sh*t buttons. All in all they are all good. I'd say they juggy could be the most difficult due to poor threat and 100 defensive CD's, sin next b/c your always hitting dark ward and watching for your 3 stacks of HD(which after playing it a bit get to be second nature), Pt's are prob the most easy you stand there and get smashed in the face you have 2 CD's Oil Slick(which imo is underrated) should always be used on CD and Energy Shield.

I love my powertech and i reccomend it to everyone but recently i've switched him to DPS and gone tank on my Sin. Dps on the PT's is hard to pass up.

Thanks for the reply. Given the situation, what would you recommend to be my Empire tank? Play through as a Powertech or make another Inquisitor and go Assassin? I know all tank AC's are viable but it seems you prefer Ptech as DPS?

I would highly recommend the ptech as your imp tank. Most fun class to play so far and I have played them all. The story does get better but not a whole lot. However pvp and flash points are a blast with the ptech. Roll him you wont be disappointed.

Thanks for the reply. Given the situation, what would you recommend to be my Empire tank? Play through as a Powertech or make another Inquisitor and go Assassin? I know all tank AC's are viable but it seems you prefer Ptech as DPS?

I do like my PT more as dps, because the only other option is the assassin. I originally lvl'd my sin for dps, but he's bio chem and i have more tools tanking on him medpacks adrenals free stimms and no one else in my guild will roll a damn tank. I tanked on my PT for 10-11 months i loved it very straight forward. Great for someone like me, as it's my first mmo. Other than getting your stacks up(forget the name) for your absorb with FB and heat blast, oh and using your flame sweep effective (i.e. don't jump in and use both free ones right away just cause they are free, throw a couple flame burst to get your heat going use a free flame sweep couple more FB's and the your other free flame sweep.) All in all stick with the PT if your enjoying it. They both work equally as well at end game.

Yeah, I can't say I cared much for the whole "Hunt" plotline, though after it you actually go around as a proper bounty hunter and not someone playing one of the silliest death games out there. Sadly when you go around actually bounty hunting, the chain of stories gets cut short, your new Mandolorian buddies just wander off, you do a few favours, maybe kill your boss, and it's over.

(Wish you could have more of your choose your own adventure sort of thing, but... oh well...)

Despite the claim that all roles are balanced, actually the Powertech sucks at tanking compared to other classes. If you want a Tank role then don't go Powertech, it is built for damage mobility and can be very good at this.

LOL that's the funniest thing I heard all day, did you come up with that all by yourself?

I have a sith Jug tank and had a PT tank, I re-rolled a Merc. But by far I think the Sith Jug is a way better tank than a PT BH. If you wanna tank, go Sith Warrior, and I think you will like the story for the Sith Jug as well...I had a blast with both stories, (Sith Warrior and BH) and yes the BH story line picks up, I wanna tell you when but I don't want to spoil it for you.

I have a sith Jug tank and had a PT tank, I re-rolled a Merc. But by far I think the Sith Jug is a way better tank than a PT BH. If you wanna tank, go Sith Warrior, and I think you will like the story for the Sith Jug as well...I had a blast with both stories, (Sith Warrior and BH) and yes the BH story line picks up, I wanna tell you when but I don't want to spoil it for you.

I have a Jedi Guardian on the Republic side, which is the only reason I didn't mention Jugg. I will play as a SW eventually, but I figured I would go Marauder rather than playing the mirror AC as my Guardian. But thanks for the info, good to know the BH story picks up! As far as Merc goes, I think they are very cool but I'm looking to tank.