CHanges needed to Qyzen Fess

Valavaern

Being a DPS sage, I use my lizard a lot, but every time I go to equip him, I remember how much there is about him that's flat-out wrong. I thought I'd break the problem down.

1) A lot of this stems from what seems to be a (botched) major change somewhere late in development. In almost all of the initial artwork for Fess, he's holding a gun, which would make sense, given that his primary stat is Aim. HOWEVER, most likely to balance him out with the Inquisitor's initial companion (a melee tank), Fess was switched to Melee. But for some brilliant reason, his primary stat wasn't changed to strength. Which leads us to...

2)Techblades. Interestingly, if you look in Qyzen Fess's codex entry, it specifically says he uses VIBROBLADES. You know, a REAL Starwars weapon. Does he though? No, he uses a visually identical set of weapons that have aim as a main stat, because... *headdesk*.

3)Customizations: every other starting companion has customizations you can buy on the first planet after you get your ship. All except Qyzen Fess. Was it really that hard to think up different looks for him?

My recommendation, in short:

*Change Qyzen Fess's primary stat to Strength, as it should have been from the moment he was changed to a Melee class/

*Get rid of Techblades and let him use Vibroblades, as his codex entry (correctly) states

*give us some customization options for his appearance, like every other starting companion gets.

I know there may be some high-level players with him kitted out in a lot of nice trooper gear, but frankly... this HAS to be done at some point, and sooner is better than later. The way he's handled now is just inexcusably sloppy.

was it just me who had absolutely no problem at all with qyzen?

Just buy a new green sword at every new planet and your fine.

now when im lvl 50 the only grind you want to do is the dailys in belsavis and ilum, pve wise.

for that i use Nadia Grell who i just upgrade with my own old gear. or use her as my DPS / Heal set holder.

all qyzen was good for was the aoe taunts. now when thats not needed anyomre just leave him as a craftbot

@CJHN: Whilst your suggestions may seem reasonable, not everyone is playing this game "the optimaal way". If someone likes Qyzen ( I don´t, for sure... ), then he should be able to keep his companion and kite him in gear just as eaasily as he does with every other companion, shouldn´t he?

Since this is a reasonable suggestion to change him, I´d support this thread.

Qyzen's primary stat is AIM because they want him to wear trooper gear, not guardian gear. All other strangeness flows from that... with the exception of Qyzen not having a lot of customization. If they switched Qyzen to strength they'd either have to gear him up like a Jedi, I'm talking robes on a lizard. Or, they'd have to lock his appearance down into something unaffected by gear, like Bowdarr and Khem Val.

Personally, I'd prefer they add a modable tech blade that uses gun barrels instead of hilts.

Edited by MeanMartian

Being a DPS sage, I use my lizard a lot, but every time I go to equip him, I remember how much there is about him that's flat-out wrong. I thought I'd break the problem down.

1) A lot of this stems from what seems to be a (botched) major change somewhere late in development. In almost all of the initial artwork for Fess, he's holding a gun, which would make sense, given that his primary stat is Aim. HOWEVER, most likely to balance him out with the Inquisitor's initial companion (a melee tank), Fess was switched to Melee. But for some brilliant reason, his primary stat wasn't changed to strength. Which leads us to...

2)Techblades. Interestingly, if you look in Qyzen Fess's codex entry, it specifically says he uses VIBROBLADES. You know, a REAL Starwars weapon. Does he though? No, he uses a visually identical set of weapons that have aim as a main stat, because... *headdesk*.

3)Customizations: every other starting companion has customizations you can buy on the first planet after you get your ship. All except Qyzen Fess. Was it really that hard to think up different looks for him?

*Change Qyzen Fess's primary stat to Strength, as it should have been from the moment he was changed to a Melee class/

*Get rid of Techblades and let him use Vibroblades, as his codex entry (correctly) states

*give us some customization options for his appearance, like every other starting companion gets.

I know there may be some high-level players with him kitted out in a lot of nice trooper gear, but frankly... this HAS to be done at some point, and sooner is better than later. The way he's handled now is just inexcusably sloppy.

1. Aim is Qyzens stat because during beta, Aim was his main stat - he used ranged weapons. However, after making changes to him, they forgot to change the Aim stat to a more "melee" stat such as STR, and just left his main stat as Aim. I know what you are going to say, but that's what happened.

2. The codex entry for Vibroblades is just wrong. It has screwed many a people out of credits due to the fact they are buying Vibroblades, when in fact he can only use Tech Blades. Been trying to get that codex entry changed since beta. It's not game breaking, but it is definately annoying. And the aim stat on them goes back to point #1

3. As far as I know, the customizations are still there. The vendor still sells them - unless I've missed something and they've removed them. There is a customization vendor on the republic fleet that seels a Qyzen customization kit... But it's sold from the Security ID Vendor :D

Qyzen is not the only Aim oriented melee companion. "Aim" is nothing more than "Trooper-Stat" and has nothing to do with sighting down a ranged weapon despite how the name sounds. Qyzen wears heavy trooper armor and thus gets Trooper-Stat from his gear. You can even buy him Trooper armor if you want and he makes good use out of it.

But the whole techblade deal is unique to Qyzen. Even T7 gets an orange weapon.

Qyzen is not the only Aim oriented melee companion. "Aim" is nothing more than "Trooper-Stat" and has nothing to do with sighting down a ranged weapon despite how the name sounds. Qyzen wears heavy trooper armor and thus gets Trooper-Stat from his gear. You can even buy him Trooper armor if you want and he makes good use out of it.

But the whole techblade deal is unique to Qyzen. Even T7 gets an orange weapon.

Tanno Vik also uses a techblade.

Give him an Assault Canon.

Problem solved.

Cool factor +9000

The problem is the Techblade. Qyzen himself is equal to Khem Val in every way if you gear him appropriately.

Make vibrosword frames able to take barrels in lieu of hilts and the problem is solved.

1. Aim is Qyzens stat because during beta, Aim was his main stat - he used ranged weapons. However, after making changes to him, they forgot to change the Aim stat to a more "melee" stat such as STR, and just left his main stat as Aim. I know what you are going to say, but that's what happened.

That pretty much what I figured.

3. As far as I know, the customizations are still there. The vendor still sells them - unless I've missed something and they've removed them. There is a customization vendor on the republic fleet that seels a Qyzen customization kit... But it's sold from the Security ID Vendor

Yeah, see, that's the problem. There's only that ONE customization for him, and it's ONLY from the security vendor. Go to the cantina on Taris for the Republic or Balmorra for the Empire, and you'll find a vendor who'll sell about 4 different customizations for each of the starting companions, EXCEPT Fess. There's NO reasonable excuse for it.

-What exactly would changing his stat from AIM to STR do? Functionally they are identical, wearing trooper gear is more appropriate than wearing Jedi gear. It is 100% a waste of development resources and completely irrelevant to gameplay.

-He originally used Vibroblades, Techblades were a late addition near the end of beta. The codex simply doesn't reflect this last minute beta change, so it is the codex that is actually IN-correct, not his use of the Techblade.

• 1 year later...
nope Qyzen still uses a Techblade and Trooper armor, Qyzen is not a forceuser, idk of any Trandoshans that can use the force so strength armor would not fit. idk about customizations i'll have to check that one the old fashioned way,

Sorry to necro an old thread but as I'm leveling a JC I was wondering if these problems have since been fixed?

I searched Google and this was the most recent thread that came up.

The issue doesn't exist anymore. There are many moddable tech blades and you can put him in any heavy moddable armor you want and use Aim mods.

• 2 weeks later...
As for the customization, I think I got it through one of the (side?) quests on the starting planet. I made him purple. When you get gear for him from sidequests it states on the info thing that it's heavy armor. The Aim issue doesn't seem to matter all that much...

This is interesting, because the Ship Droid has Aim, too. And the Medi-Droid you can "resurrect" during the "Mandalorian Raiders" FP is actually able to shoot with a pistol ... ( I believe that the ship droid was based on him. )

• 2 weeks later...
You make some valid points, I agree, I've always had trouble with Qyzen and even worse with Theran, lets face it, Consular doesn't have the best set of starter companions.

thats interesting... since i've found Tharan to be probably the best healer companion of all. (although Treek may top him now).

Can anybody tell me why they they did not allow him to use both Techblade and Techstaff, personally I prefer his starting weapon ( a staff looking weapon), I would love for him to keep using a staff type but all techblades are like swords and his starting weapon is not upgradeable.