Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

Some of us are stuck on Correllian Run and can't ever go to the Republic Fleet because it always has 200+ people on it.

If you have 200+ people on Fleet, use the "shuttle" button on the bottom right of the map. There's likely to be an instance of Fleet with a lower population on it.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate being pressured to move to another server! But Vrook Lamar is now a ghost town and it's not as much fun to play. The reasons we are still holding out are because there are several of us (two guilds) and also because we don't want to lose our names. I spent a lot of time trying to get my names just right and I have some beauties. I hate that about WoW where you have to have names that are gibberish because there are so many permutations of popular names. Why aren't Founders being given preference? What good is it to have been supportive since the beginning? A tauntaun isn't going to make up for that (or the new pet).

I Why aren't Founders being given preference? What good is it to have been supportive since the beginning? A tauntaun isn't going to make up for that (or the new pet).

I feel the exact same way (as you and the previous four or five responses). I made the mistake of transferring all but 1 character. I lost every name and my Legacy name. That, coupled with the overpopulation, and I sincerely regret moving. I wish like hell they would restore my previous server exactly the way it was, implement the LFG tool so we could actually do Flashpoints without sitting in fleet begging for hours and then make that server (Kath Hound) a destination server along with Ebon Hawk and maybe one other (Lord Adraas or Sanctum of the Exalted) and solve the no flashpoint and underpopulation issues without creating an overpopulation issue and destroying everyone's reputation and character concepts to begin with. Yes, I too pre-ordered specifically to get to choose my characters' identity and feel like they removed the only benefit of a pre-order that meant anything in the long run.

Of course, they didn't listen then and now it's too late. This can still be resolved, but I have seen no indication they have any interest in salvaging this situation for people like us. As far as I can tell, we stopped counting as soon as the quarter with our pre-order money in it passed. As long as the content outweigh the dissatisfied (which shows in their subscription numbers), I don't see us being a driving issue for them. I could be wrong and I guess we'll see. I'm just trying to keep a realistic view from a business perspective and the reality is what it is.

Edited by InnerPieces

So, my Republic server has been DECIMATED by the server consolidations. It's like there's been some galaxy-spanning plague without any of the more interesting side-effects like corpses, hauntings, or straggling survivors setting up post-apocalyptic distopias.

Look, Bioware, I am TOTALLY willing to change servers. Really, I am. I was finally going to do it last night just so I'm not the only person on a planet having bizarre public-chat conversations with myself and wondering what groups used to be like. However, when I checked, there is only a single server option to which I am "allowed" to move. ...And that's the server I have my Imps on. That server is going like gang-busters with all the people you've funneled onto it. Um, thanks.... I think.

I've got two solid Legacies going here: Rep and Imp. Epic story... creepy nerd stuff... creativity and imagination gone strange, all of it. I am not interested in combining them at this time. So just as soon as you see fit to relax the draconian restrictions... just a little bit mind you!... I will be HAPPY to vacate the server so you can shut it down. ...Or fill it with LOLCats... or boot it up with Minecraft... or whatever it is you have planned...

You let me know when you're ready. I'll be around here somewhere. Maybe I'll go see what WoW is doing for old-times sake...

Dear Bioware,

I have chosen to stay on my original server to preserve my charactors' names, legacy name, and my guild's names, both Republic and Empire. Our whole guild chose to stay with our original server.

If Bioware subsequently chooses to close down our server and move us to another server, where we will lose our identities, I will leave SW:TOR altogether, desipte the fact that I do love the game and the friendships I have developed.

Remember, Bioware, this is MY money I am choosing to spend on SW:TOR. If you choose to make my game experience displeasing, I WILL choose to spend my entertainment money elseware.

You may have some of the finest game developers, coders, and layout artists in the MMO business, but your logistical people are incredibly inept. It seems to me with the University of Texas in your back yard, you could find/hire a good logician to help you with this.

You are going to lose income from this transfer fiasco if you don't accommodate your clientele. Remember, you can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can NEVER please all of the people all of the time. In your business, you need to please as many as possible. Your income depends on it.

My 2 creds worth..................... Tabou

Guys,

Sadly we are wasting our time, over 5000 posts, 292,000 views and all BW does it take any talk about transfers and jams them in this thread. Ever wonder why they don't pick the server transfer subject to mention in there weekly forum wrap ups. For those of you staying I wish you all the best, this is a good game, is going to get better but the way BW treats their players I would not be surprised if the next sub release number shows another drop in players.

I am often a stern critic of BW and their mistakes. But I must defend them this time. They did an awesome job with the transfers and have helped restore the fun for so many grateful devotes. Is there room for compromise? Maybe Bioware could "merge" the remaining stragglers into 1 - 2 servers. Honestly, it is unfair to expect them to keep 1 server operating to cater to your guild. Please be reasonable. So let me ask this question:

Short of getting your own dedicated server what would it take to compensate you for a potentially lost name / identify?

I am often a stern critic of BW and their mistakes. But I must defend them this time. They did an awesome job with the transfers and have helped restore the fun for so many grateful devotes. Is there room for compromise? Maybe Bioware could "merge" the remaining stragglers into 1 - 2 servers. Honestly, it is unfair to expect them to keep 1 server operating to cater to your guild. Please be reasonable. So let me ask this question:

Short of getting your own dedicated server what would it take to compensate you for a potentially lost name / identify?

what about the people who were happy where they were? did u ever think of that? my server was doing quite well, and to gut servers just before u impliment something like group finder and a patch called allies is just stupid. they did not even give the new stuff a chance to see if that would help before they killed crap

BW really messed up with the server mergers.

Not only did they try to pass it off as just transfers (for PR reasons), but the first come, first serve name conflict resolution must have been the only thing they could manage to implement. Having put in a /played priority for names (still implementable) would have been a much better way to go about it. I could care less about losing one of my alt's names for a player who's used that name for much longer, but I am very annoyed at having lost my main's name for a toon who's never played (he's on my friend's list).

The above can be done for legacy names (based on legacy level or date the legacy was created), as well as guild names (date of creation, and maybe activity). All this can be done retroactively.

And now, without any prior in-game notification, they keep the dead servers locked?

And now, without any prior in-game notification, they keep the dead servers locked?

They're locked to people who don't have characters on them. They don't want other people creating characters on the origin servers - especially once they open up free to play to level 15.

/in before people QQing about how they've recruited 50 friends to join them on their origin server, but now BioWare won't let them.

what about the people who were happy where they were? did u ever think of that? my server was doing quite well, and to gut servers just before u impliment something like group finder and a patch called allies is just stupid. they did not even give the new stuff a chance to see if that would help before they killed crap

Oh boy, This BIG time. I so regret the forced relocation. Had it not been for the guild I'm in moving, I wouldn't have. Funny thing is since the move, the guild has basically evaporated. Add in that I lost half of my character names, one of my legacy names, not being able to choose where I want to transfer to or being able to consolidate characters has filled me to the top of my cup. I pre-ordered for early game access, so that I would have the character names that I wanted. Now I don't have them. I never liked overpopulated servers, now i'm stuck on them. The Black hole dalies used to take me 30 minutes tops on GMZ. Now I can spend 45 minutes trying to complete the area quest alone. Mech Warrior opens for me in early August, and then I will be gone. So good luck with your game Bio-Where?

I wish you well

They're locked to people who don't have characters on them. They don't want other people creating characters on the origin servers - especially once they open up free to play to level 15.

/in before people QQing about how they've recruited 50 friends to join them on their origin server, but now BioWare won't let them.

Locked, as in they didn't come online for 2+ hours after the "healthy" servers did. Some of the dead servers are still down.

P.S.: You can still create new toons on the servers.

Edit: No clue what's going on w/ locked servers atm. My old server (along with a few other servers) went from locked to "Light" as did a few others. I thought the locked servers meant they were still down. *shrug*

Edited by Rettkar

Your Failure is Complete!

I am incensed by Bioware/Electronic Arts complete lack of respect for their clientele.

I chose to cancel my subscription to TOR, because of complete disgust over the server consolidation issue.

As a follow up to my canceling the subscription, Bioware/ Electronic Arts sent a survey pertaining to my satisfaction with TOR, conducted by a third party.

After trying to complete the survey 3 times, I gave up in disgust. The survey locked up at the 71% completion mark every time.

Although the survey is meant to make you believe that Bioware/Electronic Arts cares what their customers think, the actual execution shows why Electronic Arts was voted "Worse Company in America" in a survey by Consumerist blog (a subsidiary of Consumer Reports) in late 2011 (see the Wikipedia entry for Electronics Arts for details of the Consumerist survey)

Absolutely disgusted.

The eldest MMO player............Tabou

Edited by Tabou

OK, I have to just hop on the negative band wagon. I used to be a huge fan of Star Wars anything. I was a Star Wars Galaxies fan and active player until they shut down the servers for good to start this game. I was sad to see the old go, but was very pleased to play the new version and preordered to get the early access and character creation. I had the first chance to create the names I had on SWG. The first time I was sent an email about the free character transfers, I thought. No way, I like where I am at. The next thought was, wait, about 2 years before SWG shut down they started doing free transfers to "increase better gameplay", all the while shutting down servers and merging into fewer servers all together. They never mentioned that you had to move to another server in emails and in game mails and announcements, then all of a sudden your server closed. Wait... Is this Star Wars Galaxies or SWTOR? Deja Vu, bad memories. After several moves on SWG the game closed. Now is the start of the same here!!! The emails and in game mails never said anything about having to move, but gave "rewards" for moving now. Then when you investigate, magically you read the fine print and find out you will be moved "ANYWAY". The big caveat here is there is NO choice where to move. You go where they want you. hmmm... History seems to remind me how a World War started in 1943. I foresee the death of this game coming very rapidly when they want you to move to a "few" servers and close a majority of the light ones.

Another downfall: I have a older laptop that runs SWTOR but loads slowly and when server Pop is high, runs very poorly. So when I was running Moderate to light, I had great "GAMEPLAY" and "EXPERIENCE", but moving to a high Pop server will ruin "GAMEPLAY" and "EXPERIENCE" for me on that computer now!!!! Even my 6 month old i7 runs lag a little when the server Pop is Heavy. So how is my "GAMEPLAY and EXPERIENCE", supposed to improve when it actually will degrade?

The truth: "gameplay and exerience" will ONLY improve for BioWhere! ie. they don't have to pay for as much server space and overall server numbers, and they can lay off employees ie IT people because less equipment doesn't need as many people to service it. Less overhead makes them money. The second truth: They have not learned from past experience and realise that this is a vicious circle and ultimately a death spiral!!! I was a fan until this move. I give SWTOR a year tops before they turn it off. Star Wars Galaxies made it 8 years, but the rate BW is starting and haven't made it a year yet, that's a bad sign.

Disheartened and Disillusioned. I don't like being lied to: free charater transfers (sounds like and option), but no mention that you ARE eventually going to be force moved anyway, and to the same server they offered a free transfer to to begin with!!!!! That's not good customer relation.

Wish you luck BioWare employees, you might start looking for a new job now! The end is rapidly approaching as your executives making the decisions are sending you down to the unemployment line very soon. 6 months... A year Tops...

Grash

Grashh

Ubu

Ashla

Celissa

et all...

Generally speaking I like the idea of Free Character Transfer but right now I'm not interested in it.

Two main reasons below:

1. I have lots of work now and I'm often interrupted by RL so group playing is out of question for most of the time.

2. I enjoy peace and lack of crowding on my present server "Dune Bantha". I can explore each class story (which I like to do), create crafting network of my alts (another thing I like) and do not waste time in queue for materials and quest objectives due to other player presence. I'm leaving endgame stuff for later when I have more time to play in group.

Thing I miss in game now:

1. Crafting management via web page.

2. Group ship operations (multiplayer), like Death Star attack peformed by Luke Skywalker and his wing.

3. Equipment research done not by reverse engineering: progress bar, research tree etc.

Bioware... were you bought out by EA or something? You do know they make must money for the cha ching and not for community. NEVER has a game of you made me lose respect towards you, but SWTOR has a ton of issues and not having HK-51 isn't really that. I loved HK-47, but that isn't the problem. You got time to pull your stuff together, but you messed up. I was REALLY excited about this game. Make a movie out of trailers, would you? I wasn't expecting the same-old-same-old MMO mechanics. You had the chance of owning SWG and blowing our minds away... that didn't really happen... SWG makes this game look like a laughing stock! All the open world events in SWG, all the fun and games hanging with people replaced for leveling from planet to planet to planet with the same side quests. However I LOVE the stories, most of them anyway- they're fun and entertaining. Heck, you could of made KOTOR3 from the Jedi Knight story! All the classes have the same concept too! :((. Once your done with the Bounty Hunter, you don't get to hunt anymore! You sit at the fleet waiting for a WZ Group Finder. Wow. Hardcore hunting there, really builds on that Legacy tree. There is nothing special about each class expect their look, their lightside and darkside, how they treat companions (barely valuable endgame) . That's about it. They run all in the same line endgame. None of them do something different from the other. That made me feel so ripped off. Also "Mirror" classes... WHAT? How is a trooper have all the same things a bounty hunter has... WHAT? Just copy and pasted with a new icon and animation. For real? I will still play this game, but could have been sooo much more... I guess that's all they care about.. If we keep playing their game. EA leave. You ruined it.

Dear Bioware,

I have chosen to stay on my original server to preserve my charactors' names, legacy name, and my guild's names, both Republic and Empire. Our whole guild chose to stay with our original server.

If Bioware subsequently chooses to close down our server and move us to another server, where we will lose our identities, I will leave SW:TOR altogether, desipte the fact that I do love the game and the friendships I have developed.

Remember, Bioware, this is MY money I am choosing to spend on SW:TOR. If you choose to make my game experience displeasing, I WILL choose to spend my entertainment money elseware.

You may have some of the finest game developers, coders, and layout artists in the MMO business, but your logistical people are incredibly inept. It seems to me with the University of Texas in your back yard, you could find/hire a good logician to help you with this.

You are going to lose income from this transfer fiasco if you don't accommodate your clientele. Remember, you can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can NEVER please all of the people all of the time. In your business, you need to please as many as possible. Your income depends on it.

My 2 creds worth..................... Tabou

Just unsubbed this morning (20 days left). I have no desire to go to an over populated server. Decided since they are remaining silent, best to unsub now and just keep an eye on the forums to see if they elect to have a few light to moderate population servers. Doubtful though.

Just unsubbed this morning (20 days left). I have no desire to go to an over populated server. Decided since they are remaining silent, best to unsub now and just keep an eye on the forums to see if they elect to have a few light to moderate population servers. Doubtful though.

No one quits a game they enjoy because they have to change a name. You get a free chance to change your name to a better one.

These forums really are full of trolls.

Haters gona Hate.

No one quits a game they enjoy because they have to change a name.

You write that as if you believe a character name is completely separate from the enjoyment of the game.

Clearly, that isn't true for some.

I found that I couldn't keep the names that mattered most to me on the free transfer. I actually considered quitting, but then I found I could get the two names that matted the most on Drooga's Pleasure Barge... so I moved there. Myself. starting over instead of playing my transferred and renamed toons on Ebon Hawk.

Star Wars the Old Republic broke ALL the preorder records in history. More copies were sold than any MMO in hsitory. You can say all you want that they should have known that X% of those wouldn't stay past the first month, and your statistic might even be right, but in the end, it's still hind sight is 20/20. The first month when they had 30+ servers ALL full to capacity, they had no way to know how many would stay full. They gambled and lost. Those of us that got on and got choice names... we gambled, and many of us lost. I am really sad that I don't have my chosen Legacy name of "Babylon" on Drooga's Pleasure barge. But, I got my consular's name of "Jennica" and my smuggler may not be Racquel Babylon, but at least she's Racquel. I lost "Ashley" but I took that loss and made a miraluka named Porcelain instead that I actually enjoy much more :)

So, I know and understand how much your character's name matters, I really do. But, Bioware/EA screwed up because they had no idea what to do in something I'm not sure any company would know what to do. Maybe Blizard MIGHT have known what to do, maybe. I don't think anybody else would have.

So, to all of those quitting over loss of names, if you do I fully understand, however I'd suggest doing as I did and see if you can get the names that matter most to you on another of the servers that are remaining. It's not the best, but I'm very much glad I didn't just quit outright as I very much almost did.

As for high server population vs. medium server population, the only reason I see to hate high pop servers is the queue and that can always be tweaked once they get everything settled.

Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Just resubbed again... (I'm a MoP raider but I still like this game and the star wars universe) but... WHY DONT YOU LET US TRANSFER OUR CHARACTERS to ANY server WE WANT? (PvP to PvE)... My first server was a pvp (I have 2 chars in level 30 )with many friends but they left the game months ago... I rerolled in a PVE server, got two 50s and one 45, and I would really like (as many people, I think) to have all my characters in the same f****ng server... Can you please listen to your customers? Please? can you do something (or atleast try to) like this to keep your subscribers?

Just resubbed again... (I'm a MoP raider but I still like this game and the star wars universe) but... WHY DONT YOU LET US TRANSFER OUR CHARACTERS to ANY server WE WANT? (PvP to PvE)... My first server was a pvp (I have 2 chars in level 30 )with many friends but they left the game months ago... I rerolled in a PVE server, got two 50s and one 45, and I would really like (as many people, I think) to have all my characters in the same f****ng server... Can you please listen to your customers? Please? can you do something (or atleast try to) like this to keep your subscribers?

You just need to be patient.

Bioware hinted at possible paid transfers back in April and now you are already checking for a status? Are you serious??

I swear this instant gratification generation never quits to amaze me.

Edited by Graydon

You just need to be patient.

Bioware hinted at possible paid transfers back in April and now you are already checking for a status? Are you serious??

I swear this instant gratification generation never quits to amaze me.

Are you actually defending their stance by calling it a problem with "instant gratification"? Are YOU serious?

Considering that transfers have been in the game for, oh, I don't know, MONTHS, and that people wishing to transfer to servers of their choice is one of the most asked about features, I'm literally dumbfounded by your reply. And not because it was brilliant - quite the opposite.