Future 3D Space Combat

Rohanshot

The point is: you have limited resources. You can create 10 new flashpoints or 3D space combat. Not both.

True but what is gonna make all the players who voted for space go out and say to all there friends.. HEY YOU GOTTA TRY SWTOR SPACE? The flashpoints in my opinion dont draw new folks in but flying a ship would. If they did it right it might even pull in some of the flight sim players..

I want the flight controls to be like how the ships in the new Battlestar Galactica ships moved with thruster jets so ship could do straffing moves and 180 flips and shoot attackers head on while moving backwards...

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of you guys are setting yourself up for HUGE disappointment expecting a full flight Sim game.....

If anything will see Free Roam in the existing maps and even be able to fly with friends and pvp against other players, kind of a warzone for space ships.... Were not going to get a X-wing vs Tie Fighter, Privateer, Wing Commander, Decent type of space sim.... You guys are dreaming if you think your going to get that.

Besides there's a reason nobody is making Space Sims anymore, there is no demand for them.... Even in SWG most of the people in my 200+ guild hated Jump to Lightspeed... It catered to a niche group of players.... So you guys are in la la land if you think Bioware who made a very Theme Park MMO is going to attached a sandbox Flight Sim to their game.....

Not trying to be mean or anything but just realistic...

BUT if they pulled it off they would make the sandboxers and the themparkers happy.

There are some players who want it. But I also know many, many players who are not interested in space combat at all and just played the first missions. And "to do it right" needs lot of capacities. I'm quite sure multiplayer battles were planned in the beginning, but didn't work well. (Space station attack for example, where you start with 3 player ships on your side.)

@Utio: You have to pay the "space team" too.

This is all well and good, but these things are still needed. Personally, I'm not really interested in running raids nightly at end-game. But I'll definitely be hitting the space battlefields.

The more of these things they can add to appeal to a broad number of players, the better IMHO.

SWTOR tries to be WoW (with story telling). WoW is WoW and therefore does WoW better. SWTOR adds
different
content. SWTOR separates itself more (like it did with its story-telling) from WoW and WoW clones. More people come (and stay) to this game as it becomes more and more of a breath of fresh air in the MMO market. I think that adding this type of gameplay to the experience would be a great thing for the game and Bioware.

I personally would be thrilled if this came to the game. However, there is no point in adding a feature that isn't fun or many players won't be able to enjoy or experience. Notes should definately be taken from previous titles that had space combat (Galaxies, Battlefront). This isn't some entirely new idea as other games idea have done it before. All Bioware has to do is see what people enjoyed from the previous games and add the MMO perspective to it (which in a way has been done by other games that had a multiplayer aspect, all Bioware has to do is see how loot and rewards would work). Like warzones and operations, this could add an entirely new way to recieve end game content which will satisfy those saying the resources should be put into strictly more (
of the
same
) end game content.

Bioware could include end-game conteint, an entirely new aspect to the game, customizable starships, new ops, flashpoints, and warzones that utilize 3D space combat in a single expansion. All they have to do is make sure it is polished, smooth, and fun. In the end Bioware is a massive company, I doubt they would release an expansion without more standard ops or warzones as well. In the end, 3D combat is a great idea for both Bioware and the players.

I don't think its a good idea.

...2.) 3D space combat is a complete different game. I don't see the benefit for TOR

3.) Only a small number of players will be interested in such a feature. 3D space combat is much too difficult for most of the players.

... it came out as #1 in thier poll so i guess alot of people are interested in this feature :D

2nd quote is bang-on right !

2)This is an mmoRPG. The current space combat system totally breaks immersion. "Real" (3D) space-flight would be a major bennefit.

3) See lower quote, above

They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.

And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.

Doomy gloomy glom dom glom

BUT if they pulled it off they would make the sandboxers and the themparkers happy.

No then even more complaints would come.

"Space is so empty. Why aren't there roaming enemy warships that can attack me?"

"My ship is so slow! It take me like two minutes to go from the fleet to Tatooine."

"This space thing sucks! Why couldn't they used the resources here to add more endgame content! Why do I need to go to space when I'm already level 50!"

FACT: Nothing an MMO developer will ever do will make the whiners happy. They will continue to cry and moan for features until they are implemented then afterwards cry and moan about how much the features suck even though it was made to their exact specifications.

Edited by Darth_Moonshadow

No then even more complaints would come.

"Space is so empty. Why aren't there roaming enemy warships that can attack me?"

"My ship is so slow! It take me like two minutes to go from the fleet to Tatooine."

"This space thing sucks! Why couldn't they used the resources here to add more endgame content! Why do I need to go to space when I'm already level 50!"

FACT: Nothing an MMO developer will ever do will make the whiners happy. They will continue to cry and moan for features until they are implemented then afterwards cry and moan about how much the features suck even though it was made to their exact specifications.

I typically lambaste posts that claim fact without legit statistics, video, podcasts or precise interview quotes. But dad gum if this one didn't hit the bull in the cluster. I'll even provide a case in point for it: login queues during early access and how they led to the current server population imbalance.

What created this issue was Bioware placating the screams of an impetulant mob over login queues during early access by adding 6 dozen new servers at launch. Those players, who rerolled on the new low pop servers they vehemently begged for, are the same players who are now leading the screams that their servers are dead. Instead of patiently waiting out the 3+ weeks it took BW to fix the queue issues on their original servers, they got their wish and shot themselves in the foot with it - and are taking thousands down with them.

The perception that Bioware doesn't listen is unfounded. I think they learned their lesson at launch & won't ever kiss the collective glutials of grandstanders again. Good for them. They are listening and quietly fixing things. The people making the most noise just can't hear the winds of evolution above their own screams.

Edited by GalacticKegger

I saw this on Google news and its got me REALLY interested!

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1333873/swtor_lead_dev_most_excited_by_incoming_space_features.html

For anyone who hasn't read it, basically SWTOR's "Lead Designer has told NowGamer that "the next iteration of space is the single thing" he's most excited about across all of SWTOR's incoming new features."

The article also mentions how 3D space combat came out on top on the poll Bioware gave a few weeks back out of a list of features we want in the future.

Could this mean 3D space combat is in the future for SWTOR?

Yes ... would LOVE to see this as an expansion.

They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.

And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.

SWG didn't have space for quite awhile. So I can imagine what a star wars game was like without it.

Uhh, SWG came out without a space system. JTL wasn't deployed for 5 months post-launch of the core game.

As to another poster's comment about the complaining about how a decked out ship is better than a stock ship: easy to fix = keep all ships as stock with no stat-changing/pimping allowed other than maybe color schemes or designs. True X-wing, XvT, Tie Fighter fashion - every X-wing is like any other X-wing.

The biggest problem with a new space system is that they'll likely implement guild 'home' ships. And then the 60-100 people who would normally be on Fleet will be dispersed to 40 different guild ships.

I disagree. While it is a completely different game, I see that as an awesome thing. This is an MMO and the more variety it offers, the better. If 3D space combat is like Rogue Squadron, it will be so amazing. I will be engaging in that so much.

Games like Rogue Squadron are also very popular so I dont see why you think people will not be interested. Especially Star Wars fans.

God I hope this is true.

I hope its like SWG. That was awesome. Although custom paint jobs and what not would be cool as well.

Uhh, SWG came out without a space system. JTL wasn't deployed for 5 months post-launch of the core game.

As to another poster's comment about the complaining about how a decked out ship is better than a stock ship: easy to fix = keep all ships as stock with no stat-changing/pimping allowed other than maybe color schemes or designs. True X-wing, XvT, Tie Fighter fashion - every X-wing is like any other X-wing.

The biggest problem with a new space system is that they'll likely implement guild 'home' ships. And then the 60-100 people who would normally be on Fleet will be dispersed to 40 different guild ships.

I never said JTL was in game at swg's launch, what I'm saying is that swtor should have learnt from that, should have realised how popular space was(and the poll theyve done confirms that), and should have had proper space from the beginning.

Besides there's a reason nobody is making Space Sims anymore, there is no demand for them.... Even in SWG most of the people in my 200+ guild hated Jump to Lightspeed... It catered to a niche group of players.... So you guys are in la la land if you think Bioware who made a very Theme Park MMO is going to attached a sandbox Flight Sim to their game.....

Ya gotta wonder how people can hate the "Star WARS" part of a Star Wars MMO, but I get your point. I'd also like to point out that you're wrong. There's obviously a niche for the SWG style of space sim, because pilots in SWG were the majority of the remaining subs on SWG when the doors closed. The majority of the people who stayed in SWG after the NGE flew in space. It was not the new heroics or the ground PvP that kept SWG alive. It was space PvP, pure and simple.

I never said JTL was in game at swg's launch, what I'm saying is that swtor should have learnt from that, should have realised how popular space was(and the poll theyve done confirms that), and should have had proper space from the beginning.

I agree with that. You do remember tho that SWG had a separate team of coders/testers/support persons for space, right? It is a completely different beast than the ground aspect. I honestly don't think Bioware had/has the right resources to build a proper space system, ESPECIALLY if they try to expand on the current system rather than scrubbing it and starting from scratch (which I'd recommend they do).

fully support a full 3d space sim - it would possibly be the nail in the coffin for me and playing other mmos if implemeted in the right way.

:csw_shuttle::csw_falcon::csw_xwing::csw_deathstar::csw_tiefighter:

If done well it could (like JTL) keep players playing purely for it, as well as keeping players that play the whole game.

It really is the aspect where SWTOR can genuinely leave WoW well behind.

If done well it could (like JTL) keep players playing purely for it, as well as keeping players that play the whole game.

It really is the aspect where SWTOR can genuinely leave WoW well behind.

aye, JTL really complimented the ground game and the Star Wars feel - tho the sandbox features in SWG was important imho.

The part a lot of people here, and BW themselves, seem to miss, is that having "realistic" space combat has the potential to draw in more players. Sim-enthusiasts will play (and pay) just to do the Space battles, and maybe get drawn into the rest of the game along the way. That's one of the things I was looking forward to, and was hugely disappointed by the lack of, when I bought TOR.