New to MMOs WHAT IS GOING ON

Brionus

Okay. So as the title says, I'm new to MMOs. Kinda new to the whole forum-y thing too. I'm just one of those many people that loved bioware games and is now jumping onto a new scary experience. So I have some questions of the more experienced MMO..ers out there. But first a quick jab;

I am super amazed at how many arguments laid out today about how Bioware has ruined everything and that the world is over. Is this kind of griping common when you give everyone on the internet a metaphorical microphone? The e-mail always said that you will be let on according to when you redeemed your code. I redeemed my code like.. two days ago. So I'm assuming I won't be in for a while. But that's okay! My bad.

Anyways, my questions are... What are servers. :| Like.. If I go on a PVE server will I not be able to do PvP at all? Or is the server just more shifted for PVE people. And and and... Yeah. I think that's my only question now. I heard a rumor that if you want to play on a different server you have to pay? Is that true? Like say I got a character to whatever level on PVE server and wanted to see what those weirdos on the RP server were doing. Am I allowed to go over there or do I have to pay the toll? Thank you for reading all my garbage. Have a great day. Hope to see you in game one day. Maybe.

(dont get mad rpers i think u ar gr8)

Hello! Welcome to MMOs I hope you don't lose your life too fast like the rest of us.

Yeah griping and whining is extremely common in MMOs and most forums in general so its something to get used to and eventually just becomes "whatever" after a while. Any money these people are all doing it because they are bored but when they get their access most of them will keep their mouths shut for a little bit before being bugged by something else.

To answer your questions about PVP and PVE servers. PVP servers have open world pvp, meaning a Sith is able to come to a Republic player's questing zone and kill innocent Jedi trying to quest. Usually open world pvp is turned off in starter areas. You can still PVP in PVE but it is more controlled where you have to queue up to do a battleground where its an organized fight not open world where anyone can jump you at any time.

Yes once you make a character on a server you have to pay to transfer servers so make sure you pick the server you want!

edit: Just because you pick a server doesnt mean you can not use the others it just means that you can not use the same character from server A on server B without transfering character.

You can make a new character on any server at any time if you want.

:D

Edited by Aerrus

I would jump on a PVE server and get the feel for TOR and MMO's. Then when you hit 10 go do some PVP stuff and see if it is something you want to do full time. If it is, just switch servers. 10-20 levels is nothing to worry about and easily achieved on the new server.

If you go PVP, you might do some snooping for guilds too. It's nice it have friends for PVP. :cool:

Some advice, since you're new to MMO's, don't be afraid to ask a question in general chat. Just take a sec and see if anyone else just asked the same thing. There are lots of question-nazis...don't pay any attention to them...they're just nerd raging and need a nap. There's plenty of friendly helpful people out there.

Just ignore the whining and griping. Every MMO has it. In fact, anything with a forum is likely to have trolls.

Just remember, don't feed the trolls, and enjoy the game. Be nice on the forums and people will be nice to you (usually).

Generally speaking, RP servers have more mature players then standard PvE or PvP do, this is by no means a hard and fast rule, just a general trend.

Also speaking generally, if you find someone who will answer your question in general chat, odds are if you send them a tell explaining that you're new to MMO's, they're likely to add you to their friend list and offer more help.

Crowd on forums will thin out by the 15th when most of the pre-orders will be playing.

On the 20th people will be kicked from the servers for not having their game box yet (all those with mail orders) and there will be a crowd of pissed players here.

So don't go on the forums on the 20th or you will see a lot of vitriol.

Edited by Savriel

I've seen a bunch of great people in these forums. Very helpful, knowledgeable, experienced with MMOs and nice. The people posting in this thread prove it.

There are those who are young maybe, inexperienced, and unhelpful . Most contribute nothing except a bunch of fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Add to all that, as is the nature of forums in general people will say things they wouldn't ever say to a person's face.

Make sure you do your own homework and figure out how to work thru all the BS.

PvP is good in this game, not perfect yet, but good, and fun. You just need a thick skin and be able to persevere. PvP in any game adds that extra element that I enjoy but it's not for everyone.

Cya in game

Edited by kobesteve

On a related topic, for someone who is new to this 'MMO'-thingy:

You might find yourself playing with some other people in a party - which can be quite fun (for multiple reasons :jawa_wink:), so give it a try. Some things might even impossible to do solo - in TOR these are called 'Heroic' quests and areas, and there's usually a numeric indicator suggesting how many people are needed to achieve this ("heroic 2+" or "heroic 4" for example).

Chances are, you'll get some nice items dropped and there's gonna be some 'need/greed/pass' window popping up. Try to be nice when making your choices here. So called 'Ninja-looting' is frowned upon by most people. And grabbing the heavy armor pants if you can only ever wear robes might aggravate the heavy trooper who was just waiting for them ;)

Most items will either 'Bind on equip' or 'Bind on pickup' - and it will clearly state so in their tooltip - meaning that once you either put them on or even pick them up, you cannot trade them to another player - the best you can, is sell them to an NPC.

So try to be mindful about your choices :D

Welcome to the party! You will find that playing MMOs can be like people watching at a concert... sometimes weird but always entertaining. If you happen to quest with someone in game and you enjoyed their company, by all means ask them in group chat if you can add their character to your friend's list - and let'em know it's ok for them to add your character's to theirs. My wife and I played beta for weeks, and the game - while definitely fun to solo - is endlessly more fun playing with someone whose company you enjoy.

Cheers!

Edited by GalacticKegger

Greetings and welcome to the MMO community from one member to another. Here is a detailed description of server types from a reasonably seasoned MMOers experiences.

SWTOR has Pvp, Pve, RP servers. The meanings of each are broken down below.

Pvp: Player Versus Player.

A player versus player server is generally a server type in which you are permanently flagged as a pvp target. There are some zones that are safe however. These consist of I believe Capital City's and Cantina. These servers are generally populated by people who prefer the pvp aspect of any MMO and are generally more experienced in terms of fighting other players in some cases which is why people who prefer Pvp tend to gravitate towards this type of server but not in all cases.

PvE: Player Vs Environment.

A player versus environment server is a server type that is primarily based around the standard Non-Pvp related features of a game. Such as questing, fighting anything AI controlled and of course main storyline. PvE servers can however have Pvp but in most cases you need to flag yourself as active thereby assuring you will not be able to attack or be attacked without wishing so. There are also the battlefield ques. These servers have a mixed population of all sorts of players and preferences.

RP: Role Playing.

A role playing server is generally for the most part made up of people who enjoy getting a little more into their character. Whether it be mildly or majorly. There are also players on RP servers who just prefer the crowd over the other server types. Just because RP is a role playing server does not mean the player base on them are any less skilled than other server types. It is just a different sort of crowd usually.

Also as a previous poster mentioned if you do intend on joining a Pvp server or really any server for that matter a Guild is generally a pretty good way to get a feel for the game as well as a good easily accessible source for information. I would like to extend you an invitation to MECG. A guild on a Pvp realm who are willing to share our past experience with MMO's and do whatever we can to help one another level through and enjoy as much of TOR and its many aspects as we can. If you are interested please feel free to let me know via forum mail or simply post a response.

Lastly if there is any further information you would like to find out about TOR and are looking for something specific Goshee's Guide: Newcomers may be helpful to you. It defiantly answered a few of my previously unanswered questions concerning TOR such as where the Auction House is located. Here is a link to it.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=612#anchor1

Wow, thanks for all the help and positive feedback guys. My opinion on the player base has immensely improved. I am actually going to be playing with a friend (also new to MMOs) who has a cousin with a guild on PVE I believe. So we'll probably be joining up there. I was just wondering about the server differences because in my dabbling before I have liked what little tastes of PVP I've had. Like dueling and all that, so I was concerned if I did PVE that option would be completely eliminated.

Thank you for alleviating my concern! I've been doing a lot of research. So I think I'm pretty much geared up and ready for my e-mail. Though learning MMO language is annoying. Seriously how many acronyms do you need. People who use MMO don't like full words. But again, thank you so much everyone for being so helpful. And I believe I'll be going on Hyperspace Cannon with my new guild. So if you're there, feel free to hit me up. :) Thanks guys have a wonderful evening/morning/wherever you are.

As far as the many and highly used acronyms go, I am sure at some point some one will make a post with a complete list. It is only a matter of time. MY guess would be whenever it does happen it will be in the New Player Help forum. So keep an eye out there if your wondering whats what when it comes the the abbreviations.

I hope this helps !

Welcome!

What are ye buyin'? (shout out to RE4 players hehe)

Well, first of all I kind of envy you, I wish I had started out on a fully-voiced-cinematic-story-based-awesomeness-mmo like this one, but sadly I started out with much lesser things... (runescape...sad, I know)

Anyways, i recommend PvP servers for you to start with... it is kind of a baptism of fire, but it has thrills and adrenaline that PvE servers can only dream of. Being in a zone with a rival player with a similar level...and trying to outsmart them, avoid their traps, and level up all at the same time can be quite challenging, but fun.

Still, if maybe it's not you're thing, you can still kill people in warzones and such to quench your blood-thirst, on a PvE server.

Hope you have fun, don't feed the trolls, and welcome to the activity that will suck the life out of you, me, and many more, for I suspect a few years at least.