Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Madness over lighning

Wintermutes
12.18.2011 , 08:10 PM | #11
People are playing lightning because... they want to?

Just looking over the trees and drawing from past MMO experience, lightning looks like it will do more DPS in a raid environment than Madness will.

The fact that you do more damage in PvP with madness is not that surprising. Being able to spam out chain lightning allows a lot more PvP uptime because opponents can't simply run through to interrupt casts, nor can they easily run away once they're engaged.

I play madness currently, because I think it's a better fit for solo leveling and PvP, and it does well enough in group PvE to not really hold my group back, but end game with good gear, I intend to spec some mix of lightning and madness, with most likely a higher investment in lightning than madness. Because raiding isn't the same as PvP.

And if that offends your sensibilities, too bad. It's no concern of yours how I play.
If trees could scream, would we be so willing to cut them down? Maybe we would, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Oxydol
12.18.2011 , 08:16 PM | #12
I played a sorcerer just to electrocute people like the emperor, you mad bro?

ReFlexionn
12.19.2011 , 02:07 AM | #13
this is madness!

Onager
12.19.2011 , 03:09 AM | #14
On top of the post itself being badly written, I just kinda disagree, and I'm saying this as an (intended) madness sorcerer (even though I spent 6 points in Lightning).

You can't read that much into tooltips. And PVP isn't an indication of DPS. FFS man, learn to MMO. I don't mean this criticism to be flaming or anything like that, and as harsh as it sounds, I just think you should actually know what you're talking about before you start talking.

Until we devise a way to parse PVE dps, there's no reason to have this discussion. Go with whichever tree gels with you the most, but for the love of all that is DAWERK SAHDID, don't deign to write an argumentative post under the guise of helping the community, writing it literally as poorly as is possible for anyone with all ten fingers and an eighth grade education, and expect it to function as intended. Sorry.
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]
PVE Healing guides! [Sage] [Sorcerer]

kinggreenwolf
12.19.2011 , 06:24 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Onager View Post
On top of the post itself being badly written, I just kinda disagree, and I'm saying this as an (intended) madness sorcerer (even though I spent 6 points in Lightning).

You can't read that much into tooltips. And PVP isn't an indication of DPS. FFS man, learn to MMO. I don't mean this criticism to be flaming or anything like that, and as harsh as it sounds, I just think you should actually know what you're talking about before you start talking.

Until we devise a way to parse PVE dps, there's no reason to have this discussion. Go with whichever tree gels with you the most, but for the love of all that is DAWERK SAHDID, don't deign to write an argumentative post under the guise of helping the community, writing it literally as poorly as is possible for anyone with all ten fingers and an eighth grade education, and expect it to function as intended. Sorry.
This guy sums up everything that was said so i dont mean to aim it at you but your the one that it is easiest to do it at.

badly written i know i have dysgraphia my grammer will always be bad im sorry

okay so hold on everyones arguement against me is that we cant use tooltips or dps in pvp (the only in game dps meter there is) okay so quick question what the hell am i supposed to use. i use pvp cos its the only thing in the game which i can say look on average after i do this this and this i get almost a 100k dps.

and im sorry but by the time they come out with a dps meter world firsts should be done so if you dont care about you know trying to get world firsts done or any raiding, flashpoints, ops, pvp, anything that requires any damage in the game what so ever with a sith inquistor then yer your right lets not have this disscus

Onager
12.19.2011 , 06:42 AM | #16
Pretty much gut feelings. How fast stuff dies. You can do a loose parse on elite mobs, burn them down as fast as you can, make mental note.

Without a combat log there's no real means of parsing the data.

Total damage in PVP is calculated differently, mostly because in PVP you seek to move as much as possible, and dots by design have really high DPE, which is where Madness shines. By nature it has a lot more opportunities to do damage.

PVE isn't like that. You're not penalized by standing, so you'll have a lot of opportunities to achieve max dps as Lightning.

As for Lightning being the PVP tree, that's just kinda wrong.
[Emyr - Sage]+[Kack - Guardian] [Guildmaster - <Wight Trash>] [Drooga's Pleasure Barge]
PVE Healing guides! [Sage] [Sorcerer]

_Darkstar
12.19.2011 , 06:54 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by kinggreenwolf View Post
badly written i know i have dysgraphia my grammer will always be bad im sorry
Without being mean, the internet is full of wonderful tools like spelling and grammar checks that will put capital letters at the beginning of sentences and tell you when a sentence is too long.

Aside from here at work where I cannot install the spellcheck thing on these forums, I always spell/grammar check everything I write and I would do it twice in your position.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

kinggreenwolf
12.19.2011 , 07:32 AM | #18
im in the process of editing it now i have looked into what you have said and re-done some tests read the early post again will look into the grammer and spelling in a sec bro im sorry but its not a strong suit of mine if you cant read it because of that im sorry

i have just finished editing for now