BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that guy serious? i thought he was saying that sarcastically. yikes :eek:

and there is nothing like electronetting an enemy healer under focus fire. they melt :D

He's the guy that suggested removing merc self healing to 'balance' out electronet. :rolleyes:

Love the net on operative and sorc healers yeah. Not so great against ball carrying sins these days, but hey. :p

He's the guy that suggested removing merc self healing to 'balance' out electronet. :rolleyes:

Love the net on operative and sorc healers yeah. Not so great against ball carrying sins these days, but hey. :p

yea, its weird in huttball. it didnt really do a lot to hinder the ball carrier; was still using it to kill healers so we could lock down mid.

So you expect a sniper to sit still while smashers jump around him and sins stick their sabers in places where the sun doesn't shine?

I'm sure the sniper could pop entrench, drop orbital on himself, throw up his fun aoe shield and then "suffer" as he took reduced damage from aoe in addition to his shield while losing no dps as he was "focused". And at the end, he could roll away from the focus back behind his allies while resisting a heatseeker.

I'm sure his allied healers would love the situation as well.

So no, considering snipers are considered hard counters to melee? They, in comparison to Mercenaries and Sorcerers who can be leapt to from 30 meter range, do not lose any comparable dps output to what the other ranged classes lose.

yea, its weird in huttball. it didnt really do a lot to hinder the ball carrier; was still using it to kill healers so we could lock down mid.

Yeah I think many teams worth their salt now have the carrier save their CC break for net if they see a merc/mando on the other team. As you say, still works on the healer, particularly if you're trying to separate them from the carrier.

I think people are playing this class wrong. They expect a merc to come out punching dps all over the place. If you stick to your mobility as a ranged hitter while using your heals, there should be no reason you are not the last one on the field left to die, or close to it. The class isn't meant to be a hard hitter, they are meant to be a quick, steady hitter with many self reliant ways to stay alive and keep the other team from capping, while waiting for your team to respawn and help.

I can't tell you how many times I've been the last one on my team alive and pop all self utils/heals until my team gets back, all the while doing just enough to stop them from capping a node/pylon. If you aren't doing this, you might be playing the class wrong, switch to something else.

I think people are playing this class wrong. They expect a merc to come out punching dps all over the place. If you stick to your mobility as a ranged hitter while using your heals, there should be no reason you are not the last one on the field left to die, or close to it. The class isn't meant to be a hard hitter, they are meant to be a quick, steady hitter with many self reliant ways to stay alive and keep the other team from capping, while waiting for your team to respawn and help.

I can't tell you how many times I've been the last one on my team alive and pop all self utils/heals until my team gets back, all the while doing just enough to stop them from capping a node/pylon. If you aren't doing this, you might be playing the class wrong, switch to something else.

I've never been easy to kill. Even in 1.7. I know how to play my class. Regardless, 40 straight seconds of entrench in Engineering definitely outdoes merc survivability when preventing people from capping a node.

I'm sure the sniper could pop entrench, drop orbital on himself, throw up his fun aoe shield and then "suffer" as he took reduced damage from aoe in addition to his shield while losing no dps as he was "focused". And at the end, he could roll away from the focus back behind his allies while resisting a heatseeker.

I'm sure his allied healers would love the situation as well.

So no, considering snipers are considered hard counters to melee? They, in comparison to Mercenaries and Sorcerers who can be leapt to from 30 meter range, do not lose any comparable dps output to what the other ranged classes lose.

idk, smash is one of the most telegraphed abilities in the game. shii-cho form warrior/knight leaps to your merc? pop decoy, and there is a 90% chance you absorb smash.

idk, smash is one of the most telegraphed abilities in the game. shii-cho form warrior/knight leaps to your merc? pop decoy, and there is a 90% chance you absorb smash.

I'm glad you're having fun with your merc. I'll add that, when getting focus heals and focus damage - kolto overload + hydraulic overrides is hilarious. You can stay up for such a stupid amount of time.

Does decoy work on pvp? Didn't seem in my experience.

I love how the snipers are pissed off at Mercenaries because we keep comparing the two classes. They don't want to be nerfed to our level so they try to get rid of the complaints before it happens.

lol :) It is fun to watch.

I've never been easy to kill. Even in 1.7. I know how to play my class. Regardless, 40 straight seconds of entrench in Engineering definitely outdoes merc survivability when preventing people from capping a node.

40 seconds of Entrench does not happen. A sniper does not stay in the same place for 40 seconds and live; a huge chunk of sniper survivability comes from ballistic dampers, which are reset by leaving/entering cover. What the refresh of Entrench ACTUALLY does is give Engineering snipers a second chance with their Entrench, after someone drops an Orbital Strike on their position, they've been pulled out of cover by a MM sniper, they need to LOS one or two ranged attackers, and similar.

Entrench can prevent people from capping a node, but cannot stop people from killing you fairly easily -- particularly if you're bloody-minded about maximizing uptime on Entrench.

I love how the snipers are pissed off at Mercenaries because we keep comparing the two classes. They don't want to be nerfed to our level so they try to get rid of the complaints before it happens.

It's because Mercs seem to want to have all of the advantages of being a sniper, without being a sniper, while losing none of their own advantages as Mercs. And because, frankly, much of it comes across as whining about 36/36/36 specs by people who don't play or understand the class. (Like 40 seconds of entrench. Hah!)

Frankly, I think Mercs are fine. A Merc I play with regularly almost always is top of the damage charts in warzones; the only time she is ever outdone in raw output, it's by the very best smashers on the server. (And I'm talking the top three to four). And it's single-target.

Edited by stringcat

It's because Mercs seem to want to have all of the advantages of being a sniper, without being a sniper, while losing none of their own advantages as Mercs. And because, frankly, much of it comes across as whining about 36/36/36 specs by people who don't play or understand the class. (Like 40 seconds of entrench. Hah!)

Frankly, I think Mercs are fine. A Merc I play with regularly almost always is top of the damage charts in warzones; the only time she is ever outdone in raw output, it's by the very best smashers on the server. (And I'm talking the top three to four). And it's single-target.

Again...this thread is about enhancing or giving tools to the Merc/Commando to make them RWZ viable, not murdering derps in WZs. They are better in 2.0, however they still need some work.

With all of the elemental/internal damage thrown around in PvP in general and the short TTK, there is absolutely no advantage to wearing heavy armor over medium when superior DCDs make the difference in a short fight.

Don't give me ~2 maybe 3% damage reduction that does not apply to crits or internal and elemental damage. Sniper/Slinger DCDs are head and shoulders above anything Commando/Merc have, plus you have interrupt immunity and better abilities for creating and maintaining space.

Edited by Lowyjowylof

the results will show that Merc is designed for a game with much slower paced combat.

our average utility skill cooldown is 87.5s, median 105s (10 abilities)

sniper's is 84.375, median 60s (8 abilities)

the averages are close, but the sniper median is ~40% lower than merc's.

thats back like 20 pages now, but you can see the problem.

our median utility skill cooldown is 40s greater. which means is that 50% of Merc utility skills have cooldowns greater than 105s.

kolto overload, power surge, and thermal sensor override need shorter cooldowns. imo, 120s for KO, and 60s for PS and TSO.

thats back like 20 pages now, but you can see the problem.

our median utility skill cooldown is 40s greater. which means is that 50% of Merc utility skills have cooldowns greater than 105s.

kolto overload, power surge, and thermal sensor override need shorter cooldowns. imo, 120s for KO, and 60s for PS and TSO.

Psh, we need to make a chart of abilities. Maybe a bar chart since that's how the developers like to view things.

Well, they addressed us, but they addressed everything else as well. Status quo = status quo. Not to mention they hit pyrotech mercs hard, and mercenary healers were left in the dirt.

We should have access to distraction, on a 30 second cd. Make it so snipers aren't the only counters to other snipers.

^ This.

So which were you saying?

Edit: I do find it mildly entertaining that this thread is still going on after being away for a few months.

What I was saying is what these exact forums were saying in the early 200 pages, when I asked this question last time. That the only thing that our tech stats don't affect is rapid shots.

So now I a bit confused. because if Rail is based off our ranged stats, then doesn't that mean that we need to meet 105% acc 75% surge and 30% crit in the range tab?

If so that means we will be over stacked in a our tech tab. because i am at 107.5% acc in tech but only 97% acc in range tab. and I am nearly fully conq out.

Edited by Bluntron

What I was saying is what these exact forums were saying in the early 200 pages, when I asked this question last time. That the only thing that our tech stats don't affect is rapid shots.

So now I a bit confused. because if Rail is based off our ranged stats, then doesn't that mean that we need to meet 105% acc 75% surge and 30% crit in the range tab?

If so that means we will be over stacked in a our tech tab. because i am at 107.5% acc in tech but only 97% acc in range tab. and I am nearly fully conq out.

Yeah, I remember those conversations and I tried out what was put forward about HiB being a tech attack. Then I started missing with it when I shouldn't have been so I upped my accuracy back up.

So now, until someone can actually prove to me in code or a dev post that says HiB/Rail Shot is a tech attack, I will continue to go with the idea that white attacks (HiB, Hammershot, Full Auto, etc) are ranged and yellow attacks (Demo Round, Grav Round, etc) are tech.