Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are mercs the squishiest class and should they be?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Are mercs the squishiest class and should they be?

bobatet
10.29.2013 , 11:07 PM | #11
Yep

And its all about skills its so simple to fix too in 3 simple steps.

1 Gives mercs back the KB effect with rocket punch it really helped because of the short cd of rocket punch , i mean come "imobilize pfft "a short range imobolize move with a ranged dps omg

2 Give mercs back the 30 metre range fo their 4 poxy second stun only half decent defence move they have.and can stun one guy " BEFORE" they actaully have freaking charged and smashed you .

3. Give them a new decent defensive ability like that uses their jetback .boost back much like the sorcs teleport move in Aion.

Done job
Hubba the Butt

Transcendent
10.30.2013 , 08:21 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Nempo View Post
DPS sorc vs DPS merc...my sorc can go 3v1 and I have a pretty good expectation of holdign those 3 off for over a minute no problem, giving help plenty of time to get to me...and I will not die.
A merc int hat situation? You are dead...don't even try to deny it...merc's simply don't have the defenses or options available to expect to survive for very long in such a situation.
Yeah, I drop a cartel waste grenade, activate HO and my shield, and run *pray* that I have something off CD so I can heal (don't say Kolto missile after having 2/3rds of my health wiped off).

No seriously, Merc isn't bad at surviving if you are not facing an opponent that can simply jump right back on top of you after you've *escaped*. We need something to help us escape those situations, amazingly I seem to be wearing this great big useless jetpack on my back

DarthBloodloss
10.30.2013 , 02:48 PM | #13
Who drops faster with no support? Merc DPS, Powertech DPS, Sniper, Operative DPS, Sorc DPS.

Merc's are not going down significantly faster than those other classes. What does a PT or Sniper do when focused and they have no support? Continue DPSing until death I would assume.

What does a Merc do when focused, with no support? I'm not saying they are going to escape but Hydraulic Overrides and heals goes a long way towards delaying death and buying time. Knockback and Electro Net, or Concussion Missile.....or even simply Rocket Punch Root and Hydraulic Overrides (when the other classes have to stand there and take it like a man).

Squishy? Sure, if you feel like they are (I don't, but we can disagree). Squishiest? In my opinion, No.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

cashogy_reborn
10.30.2013 , 06:25 PM | #14
Merc is not squishy at all.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Telos
10.31.2013 , 08:41 PM | #15
I have found my Arsenal Merc to be an incredibly effective arena class. Fusion missile electro net and death from above groups dumb enough to stand close and you'll top damage... Focused? Hydraulic override Kolto overload jet boost Los and heal yourself.

I've played with Mercs that go into arenas thinking they can tracer spam and not use half the tools in their abilities... They give the whole class a bad name
SOONERS

Ottoattack
10.31.2013 , 10:33 PM | #16
AP PT, which is considered a durable class, has same exact defensive capabilities of arsenal merc, except 30% aoe damage reduction for AP and arsenal can resist 2 tech/force atks every 45 sec. I would not consider merc remotely squishy, but no question that dps drops while being focused, but that is not defense related.

Ottoattack
10.31.2013 , 10:37 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I've played with Mercs that go into arenas thinking they can tracer spam and not use half the tools in their abilities... They give the whole class a bad name
That would be 90% of merc Unfortuntely

PerinnAybara
11.01.2013 , 01:38 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Ottoattack View Post
AP PT, which is considered a durable class, has same exact defensive capabilities of arsenal merc, except 30% aoe damage reduction for AP and arsenal can resist 2 tech/force atks every 45 sec. I would not consider merc remotely squishy, but no question that dps drops while being focused, but that is not defense related.
Except their 30% damage reduction while stunned?
Character: Mathrim Cauthon, 50 Mercenary on Prophecy of the Five

Ottoattack
11.01.2013 , 08:20 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by PerinnAybara View Post
Except their 30% damage reduction while stunned?
True. But arsenal mercs are fully ranged class with heavy armor, shield, rebounder, spammable root breaker and movement speed buff and off heal. Most classes (including some melee ones) envy these DCDs.

PerinnAybara
11.01.2013 , 12:18 PM | #20
[QUOTE=Ottoattack;6905340]AP PT, which is considered a durable class, has same exact defensive capabilities of arsenal merc, except 30% aoe damage reduction for AP and arsenal can resist 2 tech/force atks every 45 sec. I would not consider merc remotely squishy, but no question that dps drops while being focused, but that is not defense related.[/Q

Why do you say 2 tech/force attacks every 45 seconds? Pretty sure it's one in six seconds. And it doesn't even eat smash, because smash is an aoe attack.

30% damage reduction and 30% aoe damage reduction is why they are considered so durable. Realize most burst comes when a class is stunned. Also their damage is actually increased while focused because they are in the middle of the fight. If multiple melee hit them their snare of a flamethrower rapes stuff. They also have instants up the butt whole. They output more damage then they take while being focused.

So your entire argument about having the same defensives as a prototype vanguard is pretty wrong.

When a merc is being focused, the amount of healing he can get off is effectively limited to a 1.5-3k heal every six seconds, provided he isn't stunned. The other 4.5 seconds he's relegated to explosive dart ( on cd), (heatseekers) on cd, railshot (requires a heat signature and on a cd), (rocket punch (4 meter range and cd) and missile blast.

Damage output drops, so damage taken is much greater than damage outputted (nil).

Anyway, you took a single "tanky" class and tried to compare it misleadingly. Don't. They have their taunts, and ability to be in tank stance, we have our offheals.

You are right, plenty of melee and perhaps sorcs would be jealous of our cd's. But please don't tell me snipers, warriors, and powertech's don't have better cd's because that's false.

Operatives DPS, Madness sins, and Sorcs are the only people that should and can complain about dcd's relative to an Arsenal merc.
Character: Mathrim Cauthon, 50 Mercenary on Prophecy of the Five