Free To Play For Solo/Story, Pay 15/Month For "MMO Features" — Everybody Wins

Shadysketchy

Fact: Lots of people do not think SWTOR is a proper MMO

Fact: SWTOR has 8 different stories, well worth the 60 dollar box

Okay, so let's not argue about weather or not SWTOR is an MMORPG, a Co-Op Game, a Single Player game, etc.; let's just face the facts, that SWTOR feels like different genres, to different people. I ask that you respect the opinion, and perspective of all parties involved, if you post in this Thread

With that in mind, let's consider what's realistic in terms of payment options. Most people aren't going to pay 15 dollars a month for something they consider to be a Single Player game. The rest, who consider this game an MMO, probably don't mind the pay-to-play model. That's why I think SWTOR should have different payment models:

Plan A (The new one) — 60 Dollars for the box/CD Key, and you can play the game to your heart's content, on a PvE Server; but you cannot join or create groups, participate in PvP - Warzones or otherwise, and just in general, be excluded from all of SWTOR's "MMO Features". But you can play through every Story that interests you

Plan B (The current one) — 60 Dollars for the box/CD Key, plus 15 Dollars a month, and you can play the game to your heart's content; in the same exact way as we all can right now

This is a win/win situation, for everyone. I don't think SWTOR is an MMO, so I won't pay 15 dollars a month for it, unless major changes are made; but I still like the stories, just like most other BioWare stories, and I consider that content worth the 60 dollar box. Those of you who do think SWTOR is an MMO can keep paying 15 dollars a month, for all of the game's "MMO Features".

TL;DR, I think this game should be free to play for the stories, but pay to play for MMO Features; what do you think?

Edited by Shadysketchy

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say Shadysketchy, I'm usually one of the people that argues with you in your threads, but this is actually a very good idea. Kind of like Xbox Live games. I'm impressed. But, I would add a suggestion:

Similar to co-op modes in console games, I think groups of 2-4 people should be made using the free version. But, these "co-op parties" can only be made and used with other F2P members and only for Heroic 2 and 4 quests, no Flashpoints, Operations, or Warzones.

Why do you think people are playing harder?

We all know this is a solo game sold under the mmo title.

Im lvl 50 now, im only playing one other alt on this faction then two on republic.

Should have the 4 50's by the end of January, then cancelling sub, this is not an mmo.

Engame is Zzzz and nothing enjoyable to do, we did try to warn them and most of the hardcore guys have been going on about this for months. Keep these people interested and you retain you playerbase, the casuals might say they will continue to sub when they finally get to endgame, but they wont. The fanboy playerbase is not large enough to float this game. The casual gamer will move on and follow the hardcore gamers to the next big thing.

Time has not totally run out yet, focus your resources on freeform space combat and GvG open world PvP, Bioware, its your only hope.

Well OP, I've considered your idea and I believe I answer for all of us: No.

Thanks for your input

If you have some extra time, though, would you mind explaining why it is, that you don't think this is a good idea?

Edited by Shadysketchy

Okay, so let's not argue about weather or not SWTOR is an MMORPG, a Co-Op Game, a Single Player game, etc.; let's just face the facts, that SWTOR feels like different genres, to different people. I ask that you respect the opinion, and perspective of all parties involved, if you post in this Thread

With that in mind, let's consider what's realistic in terms of payment options. Most people aren't going to pay 15 dollars a month for something they consider to be a Single Player game. The rest, who consider this game an MMO, probably don't mind the pay-to-play model. That's why I think SWTOR should have different payment models:

Plan A (The new one) — 60 Dollars for the box/CD Key, and you can play the game to your heart's content, on a PvE Server; but you cannot join or create groups, participate in PvP - Warzones or otherwise, and just in general, be excluded from all of SWTOR's "MMO Features". But you can play through every Story that interests you

Plan B (The current one) — 60 Dollars for the box/CD Key, plus 15 Dollars a month, and you can play the game to your heart's content; in the same exact way as we all can right now

This is a win/win situation, for everyone. I don't think SWTOR is an MMO, so I won't pay 15 dollars a month for it, unless major changes are made; but I still like the stories, just like most other BioWare stories, and I consider that content worth the 60 dollar box. Those of you who do think SWTOR is an MMO can keep paying 15 dollars a month, for all of the game's "MMO Features".

TL;DR, I think this game should be free to play for the stories, but pay to play for MMO Features; what do you think?

This is all pretty much irrelevant. Bioware will do whatever makes them money. The 'lots of people' who think this game is not a proper MMO are the very small minority. As long as subscription numbers keep rising, I doubt we'll ever see any kind of change to the payment scheme.

The current payment model is fine.

I think I could agree with your suggestion. This isnt by far a MMO... its got 8 stories..Iam enjoying currently the first one and maybe a second on the republic side....but as far as mmo is concerned...no I cant say I am...the heroics 2+/4+...are easily avoidable..not needed to promote the story...( they are also on a daily basis so just for gear upgradess...who would want them when the next day they are probably already outdated anyway).

Flashpoints ..ok Ive done them once..most are too buggy and annoying..

PvP...seriously? that the only one Ive been able to join is that horrific idea with scoring goals????? which is only meant to be played by range dps...and is I mentioned really childish and nothing to do with SW...

Havent reached 50 yet...suprise suprise..still in mid 30s and I hope I get to 50 by the end of the month..then subscription ends.. for now this is a bad rippof from wow in many terms..and many are the worst of wow btw....I quit wow for the same reasons im not seeing myself staying in swtor...

Its a Singles player game and don't think its better than dragon age 1... seriously expected much more from bioware.....and definitely not better than skyrim and witcher...

Its a Singles player game and don't think its better than dragon age 1... seriously expected much more from bioware.....and definitely not better than skyrim and witcher...

Well, I agree that Skyrim is better, it's my favorite Single Player game of 2011; but I still think SWTOR's Story Content is worth 60 dollars

Thanks for your input

If you have some extra time, though, would you mind explaining why it is, that you don't think this is a good idea?

Mostly because you came up with it. You're pretty much ignored by 90% of these forums outside your little club of extremists who, when you get right down to it, are just as bad as the fanboys who can't recognize the few flaws with SWTOR. As a rule of thumb anyone touting "this is how to fix the game, listen to my great ideas" is not worth the energy it takes to read the post.

Edit: You know this is an MMORPG right? Just because you think it's single player doesn't mean it is. Your logic is flawed, I'm afraid.

Edited by Captain_Failure

Or Plan A: $60.00 for the box and $15.00/month for everything.

Plan B: DONT PLAY!!!

Im sorry but you taking up space, names, resources, just being there is NOT A WIN for those of us who wilingly pay our way!

I dont not want to play with B2P / F2P players.

Dont wanna see them, dont wanna hear them, dont want them anywhere near this product.

If you truely cant (or wont) pay $15.00/month, play a game that doesnt require you to. This one DOES!

Day this game goes B2P or F2P is the day I cancel account!

Me and a whole whack of others.

Absolutely no interst in playing a game thats F2P or B2P.

You get what you pay for!

Simple as that

Or Plan A: $60.00 for the box and $15.00/month for everything.

Plan B: DONT PLAY!!!

Im sorry but you taking up space, names, resources, just being there is NOT A WIN for those of us who wilingly pay our way!

I dont not want to play with B2P / F2P players.

Dont wanna see them, dont wanna hear them, dont want them anywhere near this product.

If you truely cant (or wont) pay $15.00/month, play a game that doesnt require you to. This one DOES!

Day this game goes B2P or F2P is the day I cancel account!

Me and a whole whack of others.

Absolutely no interst in playing a game thats F2P or B2P.

You get what you pay for!

Simple as that

Shady's ideas for "what we want in SWTOR" is based on his delusion that his opinions are in the majority. They're not.

Shady's ideas for "what we want in SWTOR" is based on his delusion that his opinions are in the majority. They're not.

That's only because most people who bought SWTOR are still rolling new Classes, all of which are below level 30; but eventually more people will get to 50 on at least one Class

They'll come around

I think I could agree with your suggestion. This isnt by far a MMO... its got 8 stories..Iam enjoying currently the first one and maybe a second on the republic side....but as far as mmo is concerned...no I cant say I am...the heroics 2+/4+...are easily avoidable..not needed to promote the story...( they are also on a daily basis so just for gear upgradess...who would want them when the next day they are probably already outdated anyway).

Flashpoints ..ok Ive done them once..most are too buggy and annoying..

PvP...seriously? that the only one Ive been able to join is that horrific idea with scoring goals????? which is only meant to be played by range dps...and is I mentioned really childish and nothing to do with SW...

Havent reached 50 yet...suprise suprise..still in mid 30s and I hope I get to 50 by the end of the month..then subscription ends.. for now this is a bad rippof from wow in many terms..and many are the worst of wow btw....I quit wow for the same reasons im not seeing myself staying in swtor...

Learn what the period is for please? learn how to write please? learn what english is please? learn what a proper sentance is please? realize this is just your opinion and your obviously a singleplayer game player please?

That's only because most people who bought SWTOR are still rolling new Classes, all of which are below level 30; but eventually more people will get to 50 on at least one Class

They'll come around

This is once again based on you projecting your opinion on the game into other people. Unfortunately in reality it doesn't work this way. Now I'm certain you're upset that you didn't like SWTOR, but you have to be a big boy and realize others have their own opinions too. :)

I've seen this on other forums. The idea of SWTOR succeeding is anathema to you, and you won't be happy unless you're absolutely convinced that you're right. Anger and denial are after all the first two steps on the road to acceptance.

Edited by Captain_Failure