HM-Nightmare gear

can any1 explain to me as to why HM and Nightmare operations drop the same gear? kinda stupid that we take the extra time to do Nightmare and get the same gear as ppl not up to tht lvl i dont see the point.

"But it's fun."

"They will patch it, you just have to wait."

"But the game is still new!"

Pick one generic excuse. This is just terrible game design or pure laziness.

Main set is the same but the offset pieces are different. Normal drops Tionese offset, HM drops Columi offset, NMM drops Rakata offset.

Not that it matters since you can get everything rakata offset without touching a NMM. (Roll Armor/Synth get bracers/belt, roll artifice get relics, do dailies and get ear/implants)

Personally I think it's a good design decision, people can do Nightmare modes for bragging rights.

That said, there does need to be some kind of special title or mount, something immediately visible, so you can show off a bit.

There is a special title and a special mount >_> At least from Soa in EV.

Edited by ckoneful

Oh, just wait.

Most surprising are the upcoming changes to operations. In the past, larger populated raids were seen as the pinnacle in MMOs. However, according to Gabe Amatangelo:

It is intended that 16 player mode is slightly easier than 8 player mode due to the fact that getting and coordinating 16 players is a larger hurdle in and of itself.

This indicates that smaller raids will be the new benchmark for world firsts in SWTOR.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/operation-easy-mode/

Personally I think it's a good design decision, people can do Nightmare modes for bragging rights.

I disagree, there should be areas of the game which are very hard to reach / complete / achieve. Nmm needs to be harder and it should have its own tier of gear.

This game might aswell be called Star Wars the old communist republic.

I disagree, there should be areas of the game which are very hard to reach / complete / achieve. Nmm needs to be harder and it should have its own tier of gear.

This game might aswell be called Star Wars the old communist republic.

Being harder to reach/complete/achieve has nothing at all to do with gear, though. Sure, make Nightmare harder than it currently is, but why does it need to have better drops? An extra tier of gear just makes everything (including Nightmare mode itself) easier than if it doesn't reward an extra tier of gear.

Being harder to reach/complete/achieve has nothing at all to do with gear, though. Sure, make Nightmare harder than it currently is, but why does it need to have better drops? An extra tier of gear just makes everything (including Nightmare mode itself) easier than if it doesn't reward an extra tier of gear.

Indeed, its someting for bragging rights. Titles/Mounts and other "vanity stuff" is great to get from it. It does not need it's own tier though. Perhaps some cool orange items to you can look like SOA when you collect them all :p

Think about it with super cars...Most people like and would get a ferrari if they could afford one. Imagine everyone driving around in a ferrari, it would just be a normal car. Excatly the same is happening with gear. Rakata gear is too easy to get, absolutely no challenge in acquiring it. There is no gear you really want to get, because you know within a very short time period you will be full Rakata.

Now for me when there is no challenge in a game / nothing to aim for, it gets very boring.

Think about it with super cars...Most people like and would get a ferrari if they could afford one. Imagine everyone driving around in a ferrari, it would just be a normal car. Excatly the same is happening with gear. Rakata gear is too easy to get, absolutely no challenge in acquiring it. There is no gear you really want to get, because you know within a very short time period you will be full Rakata.

Now for me when there is no challenge in a game / nothing to aim for, it gets very boring.

You picked the worst example possible, given the fact that Nightmare mode has an exclusive mount... which is just like a car.

Like I said, beef up Nightmare modes, give them exclusive rewards. But what is the justification in making said exclusive rewards be gear? It just makes the disparity in gear between content be even more bloated than it already needs to be.

Think about it this way:

In life, you go to school to get into a good college, which you do in order to go to work and buy the things that make you happy.

In an MMO, you level to get to 50, and then do dailies to be ready for hardmodes. You then do those hard modes to gear up for Nightmare, which drops those things that make you happy.

There is no point in having exclusive gear in nightmare because there's no tier above it that you need to gear up for. As long as there is some reward in Nightmare mode that can not be gotten anywhere else (which there are, 2 easily visible things) then it has it's purpose. People push for top tier raiding for bragging rights and epeen, and exclusive mounts and titles can be just that.

Adding in an extra tier of gear just for the sake of having even more exclusive stuff for top tier raiders just ends in stat bloat, and the need for greater stat disparity between content levels even faster.

Wow a mount, after all that a mount!!!....

Says the guy who claims people work their butts off IRL for Ferarris....

I'll even go one better than mounts and titles... I'm fine with Nightmare mode dropping gear, as long as it's unique graphic moddables, and doesn't have any stat benefit over Rakata tier.

There you go, special Nightmare mode gear, without causing stat bloat.

Says the guy who claims people work their butts off IRL for Ferarris....

I'll even go one better than mounts and titles... I'm fine with Nightmare mode dropping gear, as long as it's unique graphic moddables, and doesn't have any stat benefit over Rakata tier.

There you go, special Nightmare mode gear, without causing stat bloat.

There is more than a slight difference between having a mount in the game, which does nothing else but look different and a ferrari irl..

The game can't have 3 tiers of armor its entire history. Hopefully in the future more ops will be created where you need better gear to enter them or gear with certain stats to help you with a new type of damage those specific enemies dish out. If the game doesn't evolve it will get boring and die.

It would have been good if hm fp / nm ops dropped tionese, hm ops dropped Columi and nmm ops dropped Rakata. This is where having better armor drop on nmm ops could open up more areas for bioware to head towards.

Of course better raiding gear would make hm fps too easy, but that is another thread.

The game can't have 3 tiers of armor its entire history. Hopefully in the future more ops will be created where you need better gear to enter them or gear with certain stats to help you with a new type of damage those specific enemies dish out. If the game doesn't evolve it will get boring and die.

Of course it can't, there does need to be gear progression. But as it stands, if you wan't to be in the best possible gear before new content is release, you just have to do normal then hard of the current raids.

If you left Rakata gear, which by your suggestion should be required to progress to NewRaidNameHere, then people would have to do normal -> hard -> nightmare in order to even be ready for the new raid. That is a good way to lose customer, make them go through 3 tiers of the same raids with nothing new but increased damage.

Again, having the top difficulty raids drop better gear than the next-to-top-difficulty raids is just a good way to cause stat bloat, which we do not need.