Crafting With 12exp

Bookworm_Jedi

My IA toon just hit fleet and was going to take the CT skill.

But that lovely 12xexp means I'll basically out level anything I make. So is it worth it? Unless I just use the skill to sell, and craft gear for my alts?

Personally I always develop my crafting skills so I can use what I make on the char with the skill. I know it's not 'efficient', but it's just how I like to play :)

It's doable even if you have no alts, however if you do have higher level alts, just have them send all the required mats etc to your new char.

Also, if you can, grab Treek, that gives you another crew member early with which to do your gathering, reversing etc. Max her affection, do the same with the ship droid as soon as you can and give him one of the legacy crafting sensors.

I've never used Treek for actual missions in fact, she just sits and crafts etc on all my chars ships!

:D

With 12x XP AND increased basic comms rewards from class mission quests AND costs of comms armorings and hilts/barrels being reduced (from 7 to 2) - in my opinion - it is not worth leveling cybertech (or any crafting skill) while leveling your character to craft stuff for that character to use.

That is VERY different than using an existing cybertech to craft stuff to use on a new character (even then I personally do not bother because I have so many basic comms across my level capped characters that I use comms gear regardless; but that is only a personal preference)

Edited by psandak

DO NOT level a crafting skill to gear a character while leveling.

DO level a crafting skill to make credits.

Although I understand where you're coming from with this response (Creds / Efficiency), I disagree that's it's the only way to go :D

Crafting 'worth' is purely subjective really, and down to whatever we personally value.

Myself, I like the feeling of crafting and equipping my chars as they go, and overall 'efficiency' isn't too important to me.

So long as people are getting what they themselves value out of crafting, then there's really no right or wrong way to go about it.

:)

Even without x12, the gear you could buy for comms was better than the green-quality garbage you can craft while leveling. However, as long as you're fastidious about gathering relevant nodes, you shouldn't have much - if any - trouble leveling your crafting along with your toon.

I saw that.... I may just swap and go back to gathering

Her counterpart, my sabo slinger has really high biochem...around 230ish or so.... I could send extra mats from that toon

My advice has always been to start with CT, UT, and Scav and level as you go. The logic is that you can earn credits through mat and mod/arm/ear sales, gear yourself as you go, and when you are done with the character you have a crafter to support the next guys/gals through. It has served me well over the past when starting on a new server.

I am not so sure now. Indeed you out level what you can craft quickly that CT is useless to the character that you are leveling. One gets so many comms (especially if you do a few side quests or heroics) that you need not craft any mods or armoring . I have two level 500 CTs and don't remember the last time that I actually crafted a mod or armoring for my own use. If you can earn enough along the way to buy the ears, you are golden.

Although there are some sales of mods/armoring at most levels the market is nto vibrant to say the least. Also if you have the mats and a 60 you can power level CT in a day or two.

But things will change pretty soon (Oct). We will be looking at 12X being gone and a new expansion with (hopefully) crafting requirements. We will be looking (hopefully) at new people coming in who will be leveling alts after their first free 60. No one knows what is going to happen with the comms. It may do you well to have a 60 CT with the ability to craft all levels of blues when that happens.

Best to you and enjoy your play.

Even without x12, the gear you could buy for comms was better than the green-quality garbage you can craft while leveling. However, as long as you're fastidious about gathering relevant nodes, you shouldn't have much - if any - trouble leveling your crafting along with your toon.

You use "green quality garbage" to RE into blues and even purples. My Cybertech is busy crafting 178 and 186 gear, so, yeah, I do think it's useful. Along with artifice for enhancements, hilts, and relics, and with Bio for implants, and add armstech for barrels, and you can completely outfit a 178. And of you want to pay the freight since materials get expensive, do 186 as well.

Simple, keep cybertech and use the green patterns to gear comps. Save comms for level 60.

LOL, the only time I save comms is when I am nearing level 50. The reason being that with 12X experience by the time I am 50, I have just about made it to light or dark II (oops missed that gem did you not BW) and have sissy relics. At 50 I can buy two great for the level relics from the vendor for 150 comms each. The relics are bind on pickup so the character has to buy them. Anything else from the comm vendors (with one or two other exceptions like level 22 generators) is bind on equip. If you do Yavin 4 dailies even on a semi irregular basis, you end up with enough comms to gear out a leveling character and his/her companion all the way through.

You get about 300 comms just for getting to Rishi.

So, with that one exception, saving comms does not make sense.

With 12x XP AND increased basic comms rewards from class mission quests AND costs of comms armorings and hilts/barrels being reduced (from 7 to 2) - in my opinion - it is not worth leveling cybertech (or any crafting skill) while leveling your character to craft stuff for that character to use.

That is VERY different than using an existing cybertech to craft stuff to use on a new character (even then I personally do not bother because I have so many basic comms across my level capped characters that I use comms gear regardless; but that is only a personal preference)

Gear is an illusion for the most part while leveling. I pick out my char's look at level 1 (empty orange shells) and give them +41 END crystals at level 10 and don't look back. Even before Outfit Designer, a couple inheritance/birthright pieces that didn't interfere with my chars' looks was fine, plus the occasional crafted green barrel/armor (mods and enhancements aren't needed) at level 15ish and 30ish do fine since level 47+ (Makeb, Forged Alliances) is all bolstered until you get free 162/168/178/190.

Edited by eartharioch

LOL, the only time I save comms is when I am nearing level 50. The reason being that with 12X experience by the time I am 50, I have just about made it to light or dark II (oops missed that gem did you not BW) and have sissy relics. At 50 I can buy two great for the level relics from the vendor for 150 comms each. The relics are bind on pickup so the character has to buy them. Anything else from the comm vendors (with one or two other exceptions like level 22 generators) is bind on equip. If you do Yavin 4 dailies even on a semi irregular basis, you end up with enough comms to gear out a leveling character and his/her companion all the way through.

You get about 300 comms just for getting to Rishi.

So, with that one exception, saving comms does not make sense.

You realize a full set of 186 gear from the basic comms vendor is over 1100 basic coms? That 300 from forged alliances is a drop in the bucket. I prefer to have enough coms to gear the minute I turn 60 and not drag it out.

You realize a full set of 186 gear from the basic comms vendor is over 1100 basic coms? That 300 from forged alliances is a drop in the bucket. I prefer to have enough coms to gear the minute I turn 60 and not drag it out.

I stand corrected.

As a crafter, I am full 186 geared at level 58 I usually gear my companion with the Yavin 4 192 Weekly stuff. Until I get the Yavin 4 box for my companions, the 178s are perfectly fine.

I looked at the level 60 vendors way back when and did not like the itemization of the gear. There were some mods/armoring/enhancements in the vendor gear that could be pulled and used in my current gear, but since I could craft the stuff easily I did not feel the need to buy anything. I guess I put the 60 comms vendors out of mind since they were worthless to me, but see how they could be of value to a non crafter.

By the by, most of my 60s are nearing the 1,000 comm level and I find that I use their comms for my leveling characters. Those leveling characters are close to max when they hit 60.

No biggie. My normal strat is to save as many as possible so I have to make or buy as little as possible off the GTN. For me the 186 gear is just that starter gear to get my foot in the door of hardmode flash points and story mode ops. I only buy off mods for my comp's main and off hands. Everything else is green crafted items. One it's cheap. Two it's a good way to level professions on various alts and use up old matts that are sitting in my legacy vault. And 3 with the speed of leveling with 12x exp and a 10% guild bonus I don't feel bad about upgrading them every 4 levels. I've actually been toying with the idea of throwing some lower level greens on the GTN to see how they would sell as well. I think it would be a good market right now especially with the amount of torgruta that people are leveling.

why do people say not to level a craft while leveling their character. That seems ridiculous to me. Im always making something I could wear on my leveling toons and selling my finished products for credits. I would rather make money crafting then having to farm credits off moobs. Leveling synth first was the best idea I had. I leveled cybertech after and im making really good credits. Im choosing armortech next so I can level my merc and have him geared appropriately as I level. I really like how swtor did crafting in this game. Cause in ffxi it was tedious.

why do people say not to level a craft while leveling their character. That seems ridiculous to me. Im always making something I could wear on my leveling toons and selling my finished products for credits. I would rather make money crafting then having to farm credits off moobs. Leveling synth first was the best idea I had. I leveled cybertech after and im making really good credits. Im choosing armortech next so I can level my merc and have him geared appropriately as I level. I really like how swtor did crafting in this game. Cause in ffxi it was tedious.

When leveling your first character, it can be both a time sink and a credit sink to try and level crafting skills such that you are always able to make usable items for your character.

If you don't mind spending the time while leveling to also level gathering and mission skills to feed materials to level a crafting skill, and possibly even spending extra time earning credits to support all the preceding, there is nothing wrong with doing so.

But for me, especially with 12X and ungodly amounts of comms thrown at my character with gear being mostly irrelevant while leveling anyway, I simply level a character and do not worry about the fact that when my character reaches say 35 and is heading to Taris, my crafting / gathering / missions skills are far behind my player level.

Also to the comm hoarders - I just don't get it.

I usually end up with 500+ Basic comms + the three 99 Basic comm tokens from SoR prelude while leveling, and at the same time, have little to no use at 60 for Basic comms (I craft relics / ear / implants and use legacy gear / weapons - worst case I go to Ziost and grab free 190 gear).

Gear is an illusion for the most part while leveling. I pick out my char's look at level 1 (empty orange shells) and give them +41 END crystals at level 10 and don't look back. Even before Outfit Designer, a couple inheritance/birthright pieces that didn't interfere with my chars' looks was fine, plus the occasional crafted green barrel/armor (mods and enhancements aren't needed) at level 15ish and 30ish do fine since level 47+ (Makeb, Forged Alliances) is all bolstered until you get free 162/168/178/190.

I mostly ignore gear while leveling, using the random stuff the game provides, though will run through Fleet a time or two while leveling and grab stuff to upgrade myself or fill in slots on companions with missing gear (Like when I met Ashara she was fighting with duel sabers, yet when she joined my character's crew, she somehow lost one).

I do have max presence bonus though, so my comps are very strong compared to new player comps.

Edited by DawnAskham

In my case I tend to use Ziost to get off spec gear. Caveat being that I normally tend to level toons as either tank/dps or heals/dps. The first toon for me to level as only dps is a sniper at level 40. Also I'm somewhat compulsive about upgrading gear at the start of each planet, so the crafting works wonders for me for comp gear. It's a nice feeling to not have to struggle with anything short of a heroic 4, if I feel like soloing the heroics while leveling.

In my case I tend to use Ziost to get off spec gear. Caveat being that I normally tend to level toons as either tank/dps or heals/dps. The first toon for me to level as only dps is a sniper at level 40. Also I'm somewhat compulsive about upgrading gear at the start of each planet, so the crafting works wonders for me for comp gear. It's a nice feeling to not have to struggle with anything short of a heroic 4, if I feel like soloing the heroics while leveling.

One thing I'd suggest for anyone with lots of alts is to unlock all the companion presence bonuses as well as the various legacy abilities.

With 500 bonus presence, my comps all have an extra +2500 hp and +100 dmg (on top of datacrons, buffs, and level based presence), making them very powerful while leveling even with missing or under-leveled gear.

Add in all the legacy abilities while under a two minute self healing Heroic Moment, and I haven't found anything I can't kill while leveling (hint: legacy orbital strike is OP).

At 60, use appearance tabs for looks and legacy gear for stats - so once you have one set of Willpower based dps gear, you have one for all willpower dps characters.

Legacy weapons are great too, though not as useful for mirrored tech classes as for mirrored force classes.

Edited by DawnAskham

• 2 weeks later...
One thing I'd suggest for anyone with lots of alts is to unlock all the companion presence bonuses as well as the various legacy abilities.

With 500 bonus presence, my comps all have an extra +2500 hp and +100 dmg (on top of datacrons, buffs, and level based presence), making them very powerful while leveling even with missing or under-leveled gear.

Interesting point! Could you perhaps detail a bit more where that 500 Presence comes from? I see a +10 for maxing affection and completing all conversations with each companion, that could be 40 x 10 = 400? Which Legacy abilities are we talking about?

Interesting point! Could you perhaps detail a bit more where that 500 Presence comes from? I see a +10 for maxing affection and completing all conversations with each companion, that could be 40 x 10 = 400? Which Legacy abilities are we talking about?

+100 species bonus for having a human reach level 50 (all classes can be human, so they get a special bonus -- for other races, reaching level 50 unlocks that species for all classes).

Simple, keep cybertech and use the green patterns to gear comps. Save comms for level 60.

This is amazing advice. Only thing I want to add is that the regular story content ends at level sixty so if you plan on stopping like me spend your coms ealier. I'm using them starting level 50.

Class missions now give 12 Basic Comms, and BW lowered the prices of [blue] modifications, so blue hilts/barrels and armorings (all you really need) are only 2 Basic Comms each, as are mods and enhancements. You need about 2 class missions per level (once you get going), so it's easy to stock up on comms and keep your and one or two companion's gear up to date.

Based on my server data, it's usually better for me to sell the mats I'd use to make green gear and use comms to buy blues occasionally (I was running with nearly empty shells until level 35ish, and I still don't bother with mods or enhancements). Otherwise, I would just buy lockboxes or blues with my comms and sell them, but as I said, given what conquest does to low-level mat costs, I'm not noticing any benefit from crafting my own greens anymore.