GSI tutorial (looking to make one)

alisyia

Aight, so I gather that tossing a seeker droid around for jollies isn't the typical method of gaming most folks prefer. But, I've been intrigued on the mechanics of it since I first stumbled into those "Oooh, your seeker droid is hot and bothered" messages. So I'm wondering if anyone would care to answer some questions/post some input on the topic.

To start out with, I've found conflicting data on the few key questions I have, and have found very little useful info for the seeking itself (most is in regards to loot and places). I'm strictly attempting to define the mechanics of it, because... heck, I enjoy that sort of thing. And do note, this is probably way past the casual gamer, or even one who grinds, if you don't tend to pay attentions to the nuances of why code works the way it does (or if you ignore the blatantly obvious things that I tend to because I'm trying to focus on nuances :D).

I will start off with a list of questions I have. It seems that I can find answers on both sides, so I'm not quite sure which to believe (though some are more believable than others).

1) The green indicator showing the nearest loot: is it calculated from where you are standing or where your droid last dug?

2) Does anyone know the time frame for when loot resets?

2a) I assume it resets, because I will be digging towards my goal and suddenly I get red rings. In the event that it is a reset (I don't know of any other explanation but when I focus on something I tend to get tunnel vision unless someone points out something else obvious), this seems to imply that there is a set amount of locations in a dig-able area to search, and they alternate on some timer. Any opinions on this?

3) As you progress in your search, what is your preference? Do you just search ahead of the last, and go from there? Do you work the edges? Do you have a method to your madness?

Lastly, I did want to state that it's obvious you should be using boosts; I've actually just hit the rep level for my cybertech to start crafting them... just have to get her over there to buy it. (I have an aversion to the Republic.)

And so, would any one care to offer input, links, or any helpful comments? If so, it would be appreciated. (And if I'm able to come up with enough data, maybe I will reorganise this into an actual Seeker Droid tutorial. Oh I can only hope and aspire...)

Edited by alisyia

Dulfy has a page on the Macrobinocular and Seeker droid quests themselves.

As for the Seeker droid, red circle that then comes back and gives you a red circle around you, means Cold in a game of Hot and Cold. Red circle that comes back to you with a section in green... I generally move the Seeker from the one spot to another in that direction. After a while if that doesn't work (sometimes does), I move in the direction and try digging closer to me (sometimes works).

Dulfy has a page on the Macrobinocular and Seeker droid quests themselves.

As for the Seeker droid, red circle that then comes back and gives you a red circle around you, means Cold in a game of Hot and Cold. Red circle that comes back to you with a section in green... I generally move the Seeker from the one spot to another in that direction. After a while if that doesn't work (sometimes does), I move in the direction and try digging closer to me (sometimes works).

Yeah, I've no interest in the actual questing for it. I'm stuck on the heroic 4 for macrobinoculars and lost interest in the seeker droid (don't even remember what I'm supposed to do next).

Your method seems to be similar to mine. I kind of try to keep an eye on where previous results show me, but half the time I think I should have it, I'm still digging around, and the other half I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere close I get one.

Yeah, I've no interest in the actual questing for it. I'm stuck on the heroic 4 for macrobinoculars and lost interest in the seeker droid (don't even remember what I'm supposed to do next).

Your method seems to be similar to mine. I kind of try to keep an eye on where previous results show me, but half the time I think I should have it, I'm still digging around, and the other half I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere close I get one.

The HK scanner is more efficient than the seekers, IMO. Digging location changes seem to work better, based on experiments with the GSI Dig X up near Y's missions.

Aight, so I gather that tossing a seeker droid around for jollies isn't the typical method of gaming most folks prefer. But, I've been intrigued on the mechanics of it since I first stumbled into those "Oooh, your seeker droid is hot and bothered" messages. So I'm wondering if anyone would care to answer some questions/post some input on the topic.

To start out with, I've found conflicting data on the few key questions I have, and have found very little useful info for the seeking itself (most is in regards to loot and places). I'm strictly attempting to define the mechanics of it, because... heck, I enjoy that sort of thing. And do note, this is probably way past the casual gamer, or even one who grinds, if you don't tend to pay attentions to the nuances of why code works the way it does (or if you ignore the blatantly obvious things that I tend to because I'm trying to focus on nuances :D).

I will start off with a list of questions I have. It seems that I can find answers on both sides, so I'm not quite sure which to believe (though some are more believable than others).

1) The green indicator showing the nearest loot: is it calculated from where you are standing or where your droid last dug?

2) Does anyone know the time frame for when loot resets?

2a) I assume it resets, because I will be digging towards my goal and suddenly I get red rings. In the event that it is a reset (I don't know of any other explanation but when I focus on something I tend to get tunnel vision unless someone points out something else obvious), this seems to imply that there is a set amount of locations in a dig-able area to search, and they alternate on some timer. Any opinions on this?

3) As you progress in your search, what is your preference? Do you just search ahead of the last, and go from there? Do you work the edges? Do you have a method to your madness?

Lastly, I did want to state that it's obvious you should be using boosts; I've actually just hit the rep level for my cybertech to start crafting them... just have to get her over there to buy it. (I have an aversion to the Republic.)

And so, would any one care to offer input, links, or any helpful comments? If so, it would be appreciated. (And if I'm able to come up with enough data, maybe I will reorganise this into an actual Seeker Droid tutorial. Oh I can only hope and aspire...)

This is what works for me as far as the seeker droid goes

1) whenever I get the green indicator, I put my new circle in the direction is what pointing to and I just overlap the circle I just left. I don't move it too far from where I stopped originally.

2) As far as loot resets, I've gone as short as 5 minutes and received a speeder part and as long as 15 minutes (lady luck I guess if I've only taken 15 minutes to find something else). Was also with a friend when we seem to finding speeder parts in Hoth's special secret area.

3) my preference is just to stay in the area where the green indicator came up as what direction. Now if you decide to finish the seeker droid mission, and go after the Star Forager and Dreadseed armor sets, that search is a different monster but rewarding since their decent looking armor sets to have

As for both ending missions for both quests , they are challenging but well worth it

This is what works for me as far as the seeker droid goes

Thanks for the input. I'm not looking for loot being a factor, just the mechanics of the possibilities of length a spot within a dig site is gainful. I suspect I hit a lot of red circles because there are multiple dig spots I'm not paying attention to when I time out on one (or loot it), so their countdowns are already near changing by the time I find them.

I'm going to try to collect what people's "attack methods" are. As you stated, just move to the next one in the direction the green semi-circle shows, which seems to be the preferred action. Dunno if it's best though, just curious.

(I'm more than willing to do the questlines, just that I've learned that my binoc's will require 4 people (Shroud's Last Stand) which I am not really caring enough to even ask my guildies about. I've got some in my inv, why bother others to ... get a skill that doesn't matter because they sit in my quest inventory anyway?

Is seeker droid quest equally vexing? (Currently on Alchemy of Evil.)

The Nar Shaddaa 55 H4 is hands down the one heroic I've most enjoyed in the whole game. But then again I love Jedi Academy and that heroic is a direct hommage to one of the missions from that game - even with the same music!

Yeah, I'd really love to be able to do these things, but there is no way to queue for them and pretty much nobody does them any more.

They really need to make them soloable.

Edited by Cedia

Yeah, I'd really love to be able to do these things, but there is no way to queue for them and pretty much nobody does them any more.

They really need to make them soloable.

The narsh one, you could hire some lowbies (give 10k or something) to do the clicking in the first rooms, then solo it.

Thanks for the input. I'm not looking for loot being a factor, just the mechanics of the possibilities of length a spot within a dig site is gainful. I suspect I hit a lot of red circles because there are multiple dig spots I'm not paying attention to when I time out on one (or loot it), so their countdowns are already near changing by the time I find them.

I'm going to try to collect what people's "attack methods" are. As you stated, just move to the next one in the direction the green semi-circle shows, which seems to be the preferred action. Dunno if it's best though, just curious.

(I'm more than willing to do the questlines, just that I've learned that my binoc's will require 4 people (Shroud's Last Stand) which I am not really caring enough to even ask my guildies about. I've got some in my inv, why bother others to ... get a skill that doesn't matter because they sit in my quest inventory anyway?

I think I had more fun with the Corrupted Jedi Temple on ilum for the seeker droid's last mission.

The Shroud's Last stand was sure madness for the macro binocs last mission.

But completing both quest lines was awesome.

The move in the same direction as the green indicator was the best for me.

Like a lot of people, where the dot is where I begin.

But I have tried exploring away from the dot and also random points away from the green indicator's direction only to find out it wasn't such a bright idea after all.

So tried and true was the direction of the indicator.

Also, if your guildies were really awesome, 3 of them would help you out to finish the Last stand.

I have 60s on Jedi Covenant, Harbinger and POT 5, so if you need a 4th and I'm available, I'll come rock the Shroud's a** again but this time as a damn 60. LOL

On JC aka Jedi Covenant , Imp side whisper Phantomslayer, Pub side Phantomdodger, on Harbinger look for Islandersixfive (ofc, I'll bring my 60 slinger not my 41 slinger). POT 5 you can just ask in general chat for the GSI hunter. good luck.

The move in the same direction as the green indicator was the best for me.

Like a lot of people, where the dot is where I begin.

But I have tried exploring away from the dot and also random points away from the green indicator's direction only to find out it wasn't such a bright idea after all.

So tried and true was the direction of the indicator.

This seems to be the method of preference. I dunno, I've felt that I have equal successes on any method I've tried.

As for the final quest, I can ask guildies, but I'm not really interested in the questline for it. And I'm on Shadowlands heh.

• 2 weeks later...