What's your opinion on mob-dodging in flash points?

I rather clean than skip. Skipping sucks all the fun out of it for me, it converts the FP in a chore. I like to relax while playing and have fun killing everything in the way, it doesn't take that long (and you make more money). It takes longer if you have to make some trick jumps to skip a mob and someone falls, pulls the mob and dies because other the guys are too ahead, so people have to wait for him and he fails the jump again (ok, this is me sometimes), and people become impatient and angry. That's not fun.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The primary goal of any game is fun, not the grind. I always wanna do a full run, with most trash and bonuses. It's really ridiculous to see four 50s running away from every boss and CCing all that can be CCed (and skipped) in Battle of Ilum.

There is nothing ridiculous about soft CC.

Good Shadows and Scoundrels shine in flashpoints making the run fast and smooth.

With which both myself and the Healer left the group and requeued together, got another pop almost right afer our lockout timer and got a proper run.

In situations like these one is better off asking for a vote kick or even vote kicking others. No lockout ftw.

Edited by slafko

When you've done each of the flashpoints countless times while leveling and then again when you hit 50 to get your gear and BH comms, you'll understand why you skip mobs. There's absolutely nothing fun about clearing trash mobs at level 50 when they never drop anything you need and the credits they drop arent worth the time.

Secondly, if you're a tank or a healer, HM or SM FP pops are so frequent that it makes much more sense to get through a FP faster and finish it and then do another one than to frolic through pulling all the thrash, taking your sweet time to "enjoy the content." The only fun part about FPs are the bosses (even though they have gotten boringly easy).

Besides, when you're 50, you have dailies, operations, PvP, and world bosses to get to. Grinding out mobs that literally exist to make the FP last longer and for no other reason makes no sense. And considering how easy it is to skip mobs in this game, I think its intentional on the part of the devs.

So, lots of "I'm bored of killing [the same] mobs every run"/"I've done this a million times! Just give me the loot!".

Personally, I think there are definitely instance of flash points in TOR that have way too much trash in them (looking at you lost island). However, counter to that is "I've run this a bunch already and I want to do the absolute minimum necessary for my badges" that makes me run out of sympathy real fast (same with situations like the aforementioned "I don't have enough time to run this unless we skip everything" type players. Don't queue if you don't have time).

Nobody's been answering the second question I asked.

What would make you kill trash every time without fail?

Note: Looking at this...I think the term "trash" is a problem. It really, really paints the enemies in question as a chore, and that's absolutely what they should not be. Granted, I really, really hate the arbitrary nature of "pulls" anyway, and it astounds me that the design of arbitrary groups of opponents standing around, just waiting to be killed in a chain hasn't been iterated and/or innovated on in almost fifteen years of MMO gaming.

Edited by Arandmoor

What would make you kill trash every time without fail?[

The majority of every group wanting to do it!

I have no sympathy for either side of this argument. Personally I want to skip; one of my healers is now full 63 and the other is full bh/campaign, so I don’t even need the comms on her. Only reason I enter group finder now is to pay back the community that helped me gear up. When I enter group finder I am making a promise to the group to do everything possible to make it a smooth and successful run. If someone ask, speed or full run, I never vote until 2 other group members agree, then I vote with the majority. I never enter group finder unless I have enough time to do a full run. However, I would much rather do a speed run, but what I want means nothing if that is not what the majority of the group wants.

So that is my answer, if the majority of the every group wants to do all the trash, then I would happily do it without fail.

If bioware just made trash where you could not just skip, then I would just quit doing FPs except for guild runs with new 50’s.

I think this is something BW is trying to address covertly. They increased trash credit drops in TFB when it was introduced and I think this is an indication that they are trying to incentize trash killing.

That and the fact that all bosses will start droppin commendations after 2.0 should change a lot of peoples minds on the topic.

I think this is something BW is trying to address covertly. They increased trash credit drops in TFB when it was introduced and I think this is an indication that they are trying to incentize trash killing.

Yep, when I'm doing TFB with my guild we pick up every trash group for the credits since killing them can compensate a little of the repair costs.

@op: There's your answer! When trash drops enough credits and you expect to wipe you're more inclined to pick up trash, I guess. But then again, TFB is an operation and not a flashpoint you do hundreds of times.

I don't mind skipping mobs as long as it's fairly easy to do so, I do it a lot. It's really funny though, with all the derps or new people in PUGS, that the tank or whoever attempting to lead actually endangers the group trying to bypass. There have been plenty of times in FPs when the "shortcut" ended up causing more trouble than just spending a few seconds to kill things. I'm sort of amazed these kind of people haven't figured that out yet...

Why kill trash? They barely drop enough credits to make it worth it except for TFB with the loads of credits you get off mobs, now if they did that for FP's and made it worth it to kill the trash, then yes I would vote for killing everything, however it wouldn't break my heart to skip trash even if they dropped more credits since I can make more just running dailies anyways, when I get 5-600 credits a group, who needs FP trash?

Personally I like a full run the first time I did a run in SM. this is because I like to run it the way the developers designed it. After that and especially in HM I prefer to skip. I do sometime kill everything if I'm levelling an alt as the extra exp is always welcome but can't remember the last time I did a full run as a 50 in HM.

Personally I want to skip; one of my healers is now full 63 and the other is full bh/campaign, so I don’t even need the comms on her. Only reason I enter group finder now is to pay back the community that helped me gear up. When I enter group finder I am making a promise to the group to do everything possible to make it a smooth and successful run. If someone ask, speed or full run, I never vote until 2 other group members agree, then I vote with the majority. I never enter group finder unless I have enough time to do a full run. However, I would much rather do a speed run, but what I want means nothing if that is not what the majority of the group wants.

If only everbody played like that! Big thumbsup to you!!

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

If the mobs would actually be challenging, I'd love to fight them every time. But I guess this could increase wipes.

Also if the rest of the group wants to kill them, I'm fine. Though I'd like a person to say in the chat "hey, can we not skip anything/do the bonus/do full run". I've once had Hammer Station with 1 dps and 1 tank who didn't say anything, but attacked every single mob in the fp. They even run to the mobs that were nowhere near our path and even though I activated the drill with scavenging, they still took the longer path and fought everything in there, while me and the healer were sitting next to the boss, waiting.

I mean, I understand if you don't want to skip everything, but that was pretty...extreme.

skip everything, even the boss. as long as i get my BH comms, i'm happy. Been doing fp since launch and i can't stand killing another raghoul or monster or imperial. or i just spec into focus with the other dps and one shot all the mobs... that works

I prefer not to while leveling as the XP can make a real difference between moving to a new planet or being stuck on the same one for longer.

But, with no real advantage to be gained by killing them (i.e. no usable loot, no comms, etc) I'm ok with skipping stuff. But if the group wants to kill them, I'm ok with that too.

I don't queue when I don't have time to devote to a full run - if we can do it fast, then all the better.

Want more responses!

Lets talk about Cadimimu for a bit.

What would get you to kill the mobs before the elevator every time you ran it? Don't talk "in general". Give specifics. Treat this almost like you would a suggestion thread.

This isn't so much linked to cadimimu but in my opinion there are only 3 situations in which i would dodge mobs.

1. Like in the black talon you may be doing it for Social Points in the conversations, in which case XP is not a main goal and so it is ok.

2. Many people run through the weak, standard and strong mobs and only battle the elite, champion or boss mobs for loot which is also ok.

3.If you are way too low level to take any of the mobs and are only looking for the quest completion XP many people run past mobs but usually die at the unavoidable bosses.

In short, the trash and/or the bonus boss (resulting from killing all that trash and clicking all the objects) dropped something I could actually use. This is the only reason why players prefer to skip as much trash and bosses as possible - because they do not drop anything useful.

The problem is that no matter what the incentive (credits, comms, etc), it can't last because eventually everyone gets everything they want, need and/or desire. The only way to maintain the incentive is to continually up the ante.

My raid group kills the trash in TfB because it drops good money. Even mobs we could skip.

When we first started TfB HM progression and were terrible at it, the trash drops covered the costs of wiping. Now that we have it on farm its money in the bank.

For HM FPs coming in 2.0 (the level 55 ones) IF the trash dropped good money, and the bonus bosses dropped high-end crafting materials, you can bet that most groups would do full clears with little-to-no skipping. But it's not that way right now on the PTS so don't get your hopes up.

Edited by Khevar

Skip unless really need xp or mats

Skip unless new encounter has interesting mechanic- which it won't cause it's trash.

I value time and accomplishing objective more than I do fighting each trash mob. My skills are decent enough that I don't need the practice- nor should you if you've learned the basics of control.

Wish daily fp had auto-skip all dialogue too.

I prefer not to while leveling as the XP can make a real difference between moving to a new planet or being stuck on the same one for longer.

But, with no real advantage to be gained by killing them (i.e. no usable loot, no comms, etc) I'm ok with skipping stuff. But if the group wants to kill them, I'm ok with that too.

I don't queue when I don't have time to devote to a full run - if we can do it fast, then all the better.

I wish everyone had this attitude.

There are some mobs which I will always skip for example the champion droids in Cademimu they have a huge health pool, don't give a lot of xp and don't drop a lot of interesting loot

I don't mind skipping mobs if I have done a full run in the same FP but then I am just as happy to do a full run, but I would like to still kill the bosses more in HM as they drop comms & crystals most of the time.

I enjoy doing the FP's every time even if it's the same one,I like to see how different players take on bosses and how other classes work in any given fight,then when I bring say my healer in I know some of the strats,how hard the boss hits and what to expect,which then in my view makes for a smoother run,though it doesn't always go like that due to players various gear levels though this can make an easy fp fun and challenging.

:)

Edited by Avorniel