Maintenance: September 6th, 2017

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey everyone!

We will be taking the servers offline on Wednesday, September 6th for back-end maintenance. The website will also be unavailable during this time.

Details:

DATE: 6 September 2017

TIME: 5:00AM - 9:00AM PDT (1200 - 1600 GMT)

VERSION: N/A

Thank you for your patience as we maintain Star Wars™: The Old Republic™!

-eric

So is this going to reset conquest again?

Hey everyone!

We will be taking the servers offline on Wednesday, September 6th for back-end maintenance. The website will also be unavailable during this time.

Details:

-eric

• Dev Post
But still nothing on event extension? Cause you still owe us an answer on that.

Good question.

As indicated above, we are not planning to have a patch with our maintenance tomorrow and this means a few things:

• We are not fixing the bug with Daily Area Missions, so those CXP rewards will remain crazy high for the time being.
  • The Umbara Stronghold exploit is still possible. Again, please avoid this exploit as we will be investigating and taken action once addressed.
  • We are unable to extend the "double" event.

Right now it seems likely we will have a patch on Tuesday of next week. If that happens I will let you know the status of the above bullets. We know there is great interest in seeing some more of the double event and we are looking at timing for that.

Thank you again for your patience this past week.

-eric

Good question.

As indicated above, we are not planning to have a patch with our maintenance tomorrow and this means a few things:

• We are not fixing the bug with Daily Area Missions, so those CXP rewards will remain crazy high for the time being.
  • The Umbara Stronghold exploit is still possible. Again, please avoid this exploit as we will be investigating and taken action once addressed.

Right now it seems likely we will have a patch on Tuesday of next week. If that happens I will let you know the status of the above bullets. We know there is great interest in seeing some more of the double event and we are looking at timing for that.

-eric

I know most people have asked that we make the inflated heroics the normal rate, which sounds great, but maybe a better idea:

1.) Change ALL heroics (not just the broken ones) to be something like 200 (up from the 75).

2.) For EACH item "featured" in the galactic command for the day, greatly increase the current bonus. The current bonus really isn't worth even changing behavior, whereas having a 20x multiple may be.

This would be better than making the current broken heroics permanent because:

1.) When heroics are featured ALL will be, so we will not crowd too many in the same place and more variety would keep it less likely to get boring.

2.) We would actually have incentive to do different things each day, giving us the chance to see each item as a mini event and actually featured (currently most just ignore what is featured because bonus is too small).

Edited by Stellarcrusade

Hey everyone!

Details:

-eric

Again along with every patch it effects European prime time. It was good that you did the server restart early in the morning but why cant it be done with every maintenance I mean 5 am gmt will be around midnight in America so each zones prime time is not effected.

Again along with every patch it effects European prime time. It was good that you did the server restart early in the morning but why cant it be done with every maintenance I mean 5 am gmt will be around midnight in America so each zones prime time is not effected.
You seem to think that there aren't a lot of people playing at midnight in America.

In fact, 5am GMT would be a very bad time for American players.

I know it sucks, but they've said they have to take the servers down at the same times and they do it when they are least populated.

Unfortunately that means during American off-times because of the higher populations.

If it were simple restarts, I imagine they could accommodate the different regions but I'm pretty sure it's got to do with keeping all versions of the game unified in all regions.

You seem to think that there aren't a lot of people playing at midnight in America.

In fact, 5am GMT would be a very bad time for American players.

I know it sucks, but they've said they have to take the servers down at the same times and they do it when they are least populated.

Unfortunately that means during American off-times because of the higher populations.

If it were simple restarts, I imagine they could accommodate the different regions but I'm pretty sure it's got to do with keeping all versions of the game unified in all regions.

Rift manages to think about it's players before taking the servers down for updates. No reason BW can't, they just won't, because that'd require just a bit more effort on their part and we all know how little effort they want to put in when it comes to their customers.

As long as the CM is fine, nothing else matters.

Good question.

-eric

Guess I had higher hopes then I should have. As always Bioware fails to deliver.

Edited by SebastiaanZ

Rift manages to think about it's players before taking the servers down for updates. No reason BW can't, they just won't, because that'd require just a bit more effort on their part and we all know how little effort they want to put in when it comes to their customers.

As long as the CM is fine, nothing else matters.

Yep, Rift manages it. World of Tanks / Wargaming manage to update their game versions / servers at a time convenient to each of the 4 server clusters it operates with far, far more players than this game still has left. Am sure many others manage it also.

What does it matter if Europe has it's maintenance 6 hours earlier than the US or 18 hours later? I've never understood this fixation on all at once and to heck with the inconvenience it causes . And for the entire life of this game it's always the EU that's at risk of losing it's evening prime time on the not infrequent occasions it overruns or goes wrong.

Every. Single. Time.

And you wonder why we get annoyed?

Maybe ask ArenaNet how they manage to update / maintain GW2 with nary a downtime in 5 years, just the occasional request to restart the game to download a patch.

Good question.

-eric

What you call "crazy high", most of your customers see as PERFECT!

Please take this week to pour over your metrics and see just how many alts came out to play. Take a look at how many people took advantage of this "bug" to grind the plethora of alts that they've made in this game. Given how many alts I have, and how many toons I actually have at 300 (only 2), I think it's safe to assume that the CXP bug is far from game killing to you guys.

This "bug" has been the best thing to happen to SWTOR since 5.0 dropped Eric...please don't kill it.

Good question.

-eric

and yet, still no word on:

• fixing the ongoing issues affecting operations, more specifically the encounter timing slippage
    -which has proven to be directly linked to time in instance AND how long the server has been up
  • addressing operation "balance"
  • further releases of VMG content

TDLR: the more you tighten your grip on 'class balance', 'new content', and rushing releases, the more other issues will slip through your fingers...

the clock is still ticking, and time is running out

What you call "crazy high", most of your customers see as PERFECT!

Please take this week to pour over your metrics and see just how many alts came out to play. Take a look at how many people took advantage of this "bug" to grind the plethora of alts that they've made in this game. Given how many alts I have, and how many toons I actually have at 300 (only 2), I think it's safe to assume that the CXP bug is far from game killing to you guys.

This "bug" has been the best thing to happen to SWTOR since 5.0 dropped Eric...please don't kill it.

^ so much this !!!!

but still nothing on event extension?

• we are unable to extend the "double" event.

... Right now it seems likely we will have a patch on tuesday of next week. If that happens i will let you know the status of the above bullets.

We know there is great interest in seeing some more of the double event and we are looking at timing for that.

"unable to extend the double event" as in "not possible at this time due to game issues" or "due to developer deciding to continue game grinding the subscribers"?

The July and Labor Day weekend Double CXP rates and Valor rates should be the new default. The bugged planet dailies/weeklies could be then reduced up to 50% the current bugged rate of 1125.

Edited by jimmorrisson

Hey everyone!

Details:

-eric

i kinda dont understand this game i quit WOW to play this game and here i see WOW coming out with new content all the time and this game is always a wait summer is over and we got no new companions and we get a milked story here and there so how many months before we get more of the story and a new boss for a opp that is taking forever and here a problem i see the XP and double CXP is over but the bug for the dailys is still there too funny i dont care about PVP i play for the story as you claim too be story driven ..players would rather have the story all at once rather then a 5 min piece every other month .sorry guys i love the game but this is crazy i hope you all get it together soon there ..im still a sub and still waiting rock on

"unable to extend the double event" as in "not possible at this time due to game issues" or "due to developer deciding to continue game grinding the subscribers"?

More likely that they can't make sudden changes without some severe consequences, and more likely quite a few unintended ones on top of it all.

i kinda dont understand this game i quit WOW to play this game and here i see WOW coming out with new content all the time and this game is always a wait summer is over and we got no new companions and we get a milked story here and there so how many months before we get more of the story and a new boss for a opp that is taking forever and here a problem i see the XP and double CXP is over but the bug for the dailys is still there too funny i dont care about PVP i play for the story as you claim too be story driven ..players would rather have the story all at once rather then a 5 min piece every other month .sorry guys i love the game but this is crazy i hope you all get it together soon there ..im still a sub and still waiting rock on

This is something that some seem to have a hard time comprehending. Doling out class changes a bit at a time has never been well executed or received. Dev's nerf one class, players move on to another, rinse & repeat until player quits from frustration. The plot for doling out story & content does not differ much.

Good question.

-eric

It is puzzling to me that you could not simply extend the double XP/CXP event.

Considering all the times you have run events, and have even extended them for whatever reason, or the length of time you have run them..... how can the studio possibly not have a simple parameter that you set in the servers that lets an event like this run??????

Especially when you know that these bonus XP events are very popular, often asked for, and often complained about when they expire. It just seems you would have done a smarter implementation such that you can set/adjust the event times on the fly without a patch or taking the servers off line.

I'm sure after more then 5 years you have a pretty messy code base for the game to deal with.... but this one I really do not understand at all.

Edited by Andryah