Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What would you like to see in the next expansion?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What would you like to see in the next expansion?

Jett-Rinn
11.12.2019 , 01:00 PM | #1
My guild mates and I were discussing this last night, the general consensus was something that added class story lines back and really pushed the galaxy forward...so I thought I would start a thread, without being flippant or snarky...what would you like to see in the next major expansion?
No one hates Star Wars as much as "Star Wars fans"

jedimasterjac
11.12.2019 , 01:05 PM | #2
Rather than getting new planets I'd like to see us return to old planets. Add new sections, a la Black Hole/Section X.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

Ylliarus
11.12.2019 , 01:12 PM | #3
I would be a big supporter of a return to class story specific plotlines, but sadly that's not going to happen. Bioware has too few resources and manpower to pull off 8 individual class stories. Onslaught is a good example, we got 2 separate stories there and the overall length of the entire story was much shorter as a result. I think that 1 Empire and 1 Republic story is the most we can count on for the time being. Perhaps at some point the game will go through more of a revival and receive more funding, resources and manpower to make a return to 8 individual class stories.

As to what I'd like to see in future story content?

Since Onslaught was heavily focused on the front lines of the Third Galactic War, I would like to see the next story installment to be more inwardly focused.

For the Republic, I'd like to see an arc that involves the rebuilding of the Jedi Order, specifically the rebuilding of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. It could heavily involve exploring the inner depths of the ruined temple, where, as a result of the attack, a lot of dangerous Sith artifacts were "let loose" and have started affecting scavengers and the like. Our characters would delve inside the ruins to try and contain the artifacts again, find ancient Jedi lore and secrets while also fighting possessed people. The arc could also cover a "cleansing" of the Jedi Temple, since I'd imagine there to be a lot of Dark Side energy around there with how the Sith have pulled a number on the place during the sacking of Coruscant.

For the Empire, I'd love to see a struggle for the Imperial throne. As much as I love Darth Vowrawn as Sith Emperor, I do have a feeling he and Acina are going to be killed, no matter our choice back on Iokath. If the story will indeed head that way, I'd want the next story update to focus the Empire's story on political intrigue, shadow conflicts and lots of backstabbing to put a new Dark Lord of the Sith on the Imperial throne. Our character would be given the choice to support a candidate and then work with them to get that Darth to become Emperor or Empress of the Sith. As long as it won't be our character who will try to ascend to the Imperial throne, I'd be fine with it. Think of it, how much more powerful the person behind the throne, whispering into the ear of the Emperor or Empress would be.

Both these stories would give the opportunity to return to the capital worlds of our factions and let us have a look at the hearts of the Empire and Republic once more.

In even further story updates, perhaps we could venture into the Tion Hegemony, as we haven't seen them featured since the Kaon Under Siege arc. I'd also love to see more of the Stygian Caldera, which harbour the Sith worlds like Dromund Kaas and Korriban, but also many others like Bosthirda, Jaguada and Ch'hodos. I think it would be nice to see more of the Sith worlds in the game, especially since we had a strongly Jedi-focused one with the Ossus story.
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]
SWTOR Player since November 25th, 2012
And here is my referral link!

Jett-Rinn
11.12.2019 , 01:13 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
Rather than getting new planets I'd like to see us return to old planets. Add new sections, a la Black Hole/Section X.
Right on! there is so much content already made that just sits there, I would kill of they brought us back to Tanaris or Ord Mantell.
No one hates Star Wars as much as "Star Wars fans"

SerraShar
11.12.2019 , 02:41 PM | #5
Plz no more corellia . The Imp can't hold it, even though we did all the work for them to keep it . Add to that, I really hate Coreliia..its like someone went to Nar shaddaa and dropped a Bomb! AND THERE you have it..it become Corellia!

Send us back to our root! Tython and Korriban , let us walk upon the bones of our predecessor......hear Kreia give us a cultur shock-..uh..sorry wrong game XD

How about Rishi ? Or Makeb ? One has the beach..and its snowing in real life..perfect to go get a Tan!
Balance in All Things
Andraste and the Maker want you to click referral linkhttp://www.swtor.com/r/fsSTHy
You know, if I could click you, you wouldn’t know a moment’s peace!

Darth-Obvious
11.12.2019 , 02:57 PM | #6
Rather than them a new expansion that's just adding new content that's just section off from the rest of the game the way so many expansions/updates for these types of games do I'd rather see a rework/overhaul of the existing game instead. Basically like what Final Fantasy 14 did with A Realm Reborn.

Now that SWTOR has been out for so long the game feels so uneven. Certain elements feel modern while others feel dated. A number of systems & mechanics don't work well with one another, etc.

Imagine if you were going to make a new character & you wanted to experience the story of SWTOR in order from your starter planet all the way through Onslaught. This includes all Solo & Group story content, so you'd be playing through the Ops as well. That's a significant amount of content. SWTOR isn't lacking in the amount of content it offers in that scenario, but a number of elements of that process would be a slog. When you think about that process there are no doubt multiple things that come to mind where you think "Ugh I'd have to do blank again." or whatever. Now think about what would make that process better, enjoyable, less tedious, what quality of life improvements they could make, etc, etc.

I've always liked/enjoyed the idea of getting the most amount of potential with what already exists within games rather than just adding another brick atop the pile that you're going to play through and be done with a month later or whatever.

jedimasterjac
11.12.2019 , 03:22 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
Rather than them a new expansion that's just adding new content that's just section off from the rest of the game the way so many expansions/updates for these types of games do I'd rather see a rework/overhaul of the existing game instead. Basically like what Final Fantasy 14 did with A Realm Reborn.

Now that SWTOR has been out for so long the game feels so uneven. Certain elements feel modern while others feel dated. A number of systems & mechanics don't work well with one another, etc.

Imagine if you were going to make a new character & you wanted to experience the story of SWTOR in order from your starter planet all the way through Onslaught. This includes all Solo & Group story content, so you'd be playing through the Ops as well. That's a significant amount of content. SWTOR isn't lacking in the amount of content it offers in that scenario, but a number of elements of that process would be a slog. When you think about that process there are no doubt multiple things that come to mind where you think "Ugh I'd have to do blank again." or whatever. Now think about what would make that process better, enjoyable, less tedious, what quality of life improvements they could make, etc, etc.

I've always liked/enjoyed the idea of getting the most amount of potential with what already exists within games rather than just adding another brick atop the pile that you're going to play through and be done with a month later or whatever.
At this point, the only thing you need to do in order to reach level 75 is play your class story and occasionally do planetary storylines. How much more could they alter or streamline that?

The only thing I find a slog is doing the same thing I've done for eight years, but if I was a new player again I'd vastly prefer the old way over what we have now.

I don't think there's any manner of alteration or streamlining that would make me happier about the game, most especially if they went the ARR route. I don't have a clue what FFXIV was like before, but having to do literally every single quest for literally every single expansion is a worse slog than anything SWTOR has made you do.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.

Sareeph
11.12.2019 , 03:30 PM | #8
Less bugs and downtime fixing them.

DarthThadian
11.12.2019 , 03:31 PM | #9
Class specific storylines and/or new classes.

Heck, an adaptation of the trooper for the empire and of the agent for the republic would be epic, even if the storylines remained the same. Maybe just change the npcs.

Darth-Obvious
11.12.2019 , 03:35 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
At this point, the only thing you need to do in order to reach level 75 is play your class story and occasionally do planetary storylines. How much more could they alter or streamline that?

The only thing I find a slog is doing the same thing I've done for eight years, but if I was a new player again I'd vastly prefer the old way over what we have now.

I don't think there's any manner of alteration or streamlining that would make me happier about the game, most especially if they went the ARR route. I don't have a clue what FFXIV was like before, but having to do literally every single quest for literally every single expansion is a worse slog than anything SWTOR has made you do.
I'm not talking about the leveling process, I'm talking about features, systems, quality of life changes, etc, being woven throughout the entire game rather than every expansion adding new features that feel sectioned off to the content of the areas. Giving you more reasons to go back existing planets/areas. More reasons to go back to planets that don't get much use.

If you just keep stacking content without making it feed into what already exists in the game or creating more of an ecosystem between the games features you're just going to keep repeating or having the same problems, namely you burning through the story or whatever of the newest content & then not having much to do afterwards.