Keep dying as a gunslinger

QueenSinaria

So, I've been playing my gunslinger for a bit now. level 26. and I can handle normal mobs ok, but I keep having to use recuperate fairly regularly. Im decently geared, done a few heroics and am using mods on my gun to keep strong.

My biggest issue is I don't have any form of healing ability. every other class I played had some form of heal to help in fights, but this one doesn't. Im very reliant on my companion to tank for me as I simply can't take the enemies solo. Im almost always using cover, but if my companion can't get aggro fast enough, I melt to these enemies.

Is there something I am missing? an ability I should be working into my rotation more often?

Is there something I am missing?

experience with the class.

Sniper/Slinger is so strong it's practically unfair in a good players hands. Keep practicing, do some PvP, read about your class abilities and know when to use them and when not to...

you play a class long enough it becomes intuitive; you will simply know what to do and when.

So, I've been playing my gunslinger for a bit now. level 26. and I can handle normal mobs ok, but I keep having to use recuperate fairly regularly. Im decently geared, done a few heroics and am using mods on my gun to keep strong.

My biggest issue is I don't have any form of healing ability. every other class I played had some form of heal to help in fights, but this one doesn't. Im very reliant on my companion to tank for me as I simply can't take the enemies solo. Im almost always using cover, but if my companion can't get aggro fast enough, I melt to these enemies.

Is there something I am missing? an ability I should be working into my rotation more often?

My suggestion for leveling as a gunslinger is. 1) Level in Sharpshooter for better burst, and 2) put your companion on heals, not tank. It should keep you alive just fine. 3) Make sure to upgrade your MH/OH barrels, mods, and enhancements. All other gear is optional, but the MH/OH should be upgraded periodically.

It may also help to use some green rank 1 gifts on fleet if your companion is rank 1. it's cheap and easy using the green rank 1 gifts to get a companion up to rank 20. I wouldn't bother to much past that on rank 1 gifts however. to many clicks. The vendor is on Fleet in the outer ring in the same section as the GTN is. So NE section of fleet on republic side.

Edited by Toraak

They said they were level 26, that utility isn't available yet.

Good point. There is another one that heals you while in cover.

OP, the trick is simply to pop your defensives and cc the mobs with the flash bang grenade and focus your target.

But heroics are hard these days while underleveled. You have to pull carefully. Dont forget your stun and your aoe knockback. Melee mobs are easier to cc/root cause they group around you. You want to kill the ranged first.

If you don't have these abilities, just keep leveling.

Edited by Nemmar

@L20 you gain a ship droid. You can use jawa scraps to level it to L50. You likely won't have near enough scraps on your first character to do this, but it is by far the cheapest way to level it up. Buy all 3 ranks of companion improvement in your legacy tab, convert all scraps to maintenance items, feed your droid.

Put your droid in heal mode and it will keep you alive in all open world content; at influence L50, a healer companion will out-heal all but a good player healer in i306 gear. Even influence L10 (or 20) is enough to cover open world and is a big step up from a L1 companion.

If you don't mind spending credits, you can raise up the more fun and vocal companions you meet in your story: 14k cr for L1->10, 40k for L1->15, 78k for L1->20, ..., ~4M for L50 (which is why scraps & ship droid are nice).

Google Spreadsheet Companion Leveling Costs

Influence Loves, Favorites, Likes, Etc (what to feed your companion)

If you're not using a heal companion, needing to stop to recuperate is normal.

Are you using mods on the rest of your armor? Are you using mod-able armor? If not, use what mod-able pieces you have and go to the fleet and to buy any mod-able (orange)pieces you need, and then get a bunch of mods from the appropriate level Modification Vendor.

Set you companion to "heal". Give the companion some gifts, etc, to get their influence level to 10 or higher.

EDIT - use a melee healer if you have one. Such as, Bowdaar or Lana.

Edited by JediQuaker

Good Day,

Played as a gunslinger/sniper in this game for a long time, while I don't play at all anymore, I still visit the forums every now and then.

Technically, if you wished, you could put your level 1 companion on tank, make them leap into every mob to get initial aggro, and then use sweeping gunfire and that could be your entire rotation to get to level cap.

However, if looking for something more involved, as others stated, it's all about control as a slinger. You have an absurd amount of CC at your disposal, even at the early stages of the game.

If you approach a mob of three guys, you could do this for example (this example will be with your comp set as heals to showcase your control, you could just set him tank to get all the mobs on him and just snipe everything down. This is as Sharpshooter spec)

Cast Aimed Shot on first mob you target, follow up with Trick shot or Quickdraw (I can't think of any regular non elite mob that will survive this) as the other two mobs are running at you, use Pulse Detonator to knock them both back. This knockback comes with a root, so while both are rooted cast Penetrating Blasts on next target, this will break your root, then cast Leg Shot on him to root him again. Switch to the other target and blind him with Flash Grenade. Switch back to other target and finish him off. Now go back to the target you used Flash Grenade on and open up on him, if he starts to get close Cover Pulse will be back off cooldown, so you can re-use, and if not, then use your 4 second 10 meter hard cc and finish him off.

My preferred method of killing mobs in Sharpshooter spec was when you get your roll, you get 3 seconds of Hunker Down, I would roll into a pack with my companion on heals and just Sweeping Gunfire the mob down. If there was something hard hitting in it, hit Dodge and hit Hunker Down if they were going to survive past the 3 seconds.

Anyways, long winded, just wanted to show you what kind of control you have. This is an amazingly fun class once you learn how to use all the tools at your disposal.

Set your companion to Heal role from Tank or Damage. that should solve your health problem. I do it all the time and have no trouble on my gunslinger