Cant loot in heroic mission.

I just want to start by saying I do not think this is a bug but would like to know if this is a game mechanic.

I was doing a heroic mission with 3 other people a few day ago. Everything is going okay but on the boss I die. Everyone had cd on their ress so I decided to run back. While I was running back someone looted the boss, Because I was not in the phase at the moment I did not even see the loot nor get the chance to roll on it. Is this supposed to happen or might it be a bug?

p.s I used to play wow back in they day and I know that it's like this in that game on purpose. No chance to loot if your not in the "zone".

Just seems kinda lame, lets say your entire party dies and you could just think"huh, I wont ress anyone and when they are all running back I'll just loot and won't have to roll against them for any of the items"

I just want to start by saying I do not think this is a bug but would like to know if this is a game mechanic.

I was doing a heroic mission with 3 other people a few day ago. Everything is going okay but on the boss I die. Everyone had cd on their ress so I decided to run back. While I was running back someone looted the boss, Because I was not in the phase at the moment I did not even see the loot nor get the chance to roll on it. Is this supposed to happen or might it be a bug?

p.s I used to play wow back in they day and I know that it's like this in that game on purpose. No chance to loot if your not in the "zone".

Just seems kinda lame, lets say your entire party dies and you could just think"huh, I wont ress anyone and when they are all running back I'll just loot and won't have to roll against them for any of the items"

Almost every game I have seen has had this mechanic. If someone loots the boss when you are running back and not in the phase, you will not be able to loot.