Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Darkness Assassin/Kinetic Combat Shadow Set Bonus Discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Darkness Assassin/Kinetic Combat Shadow Set Bonus Discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

blackthunder
07.15.2015 , 08:53 PM | #21
The other two tanks' 6pc set bonus increases the duration of two of their abilities, while ours increases the stacks and duration of our kinetic/dark ward. I would like to see our set bonus affect our Shadow Protection, making it last 3 seconds longer and build an additional 2 or 3 stacks for a total of 6 or 7. This would be a welcome addition imo. We could get an extra 6%-7% increase in DR from Shadow Protection that lasts 3 seconds longer. What do you think?

xXtruenoobXx
07.16.2015 , 08:34 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Hockaday View Post
Maybe I'm alone on this, but I'm not a fan of the taunt reduction.

Honestly I was not a fan pre 3.0. However I am a pve player and with the new damage caps the reduction in taunt and the fact that you have to tank swap very often on some bosses its amazing and you are able to sustain threat.

Vollzenhein
07.17.2015 , 11:10 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
If you really want the set bonuses to achieve a 5% survivability increase, you need to...

The set bonuses in 3.0, taken as a whole, provide vastly and hilariously less than a 5% survivability buff, and in fact are much closer to a mere 1%.
Not to call anyone out specifically, because this has been brought up by several posters... 5% survivability (or DPS or healing) increase is not necessarily their to goal, but a bar they dont want to go above, allowing that ~1% to be acceptable. That, anyway, is how I read BWs intention from their first posts. So while I certainly agree the set bonuses are currently-- to borrow a quote-- "a nothing burger." I am concerned that the suggestions given, to certainly improve by 5%, are maybe more radical than will be given a serious consideration. That being said: I hope Im wrong.

LShaaDe
07.18.2015 , 07:50 AM | #24
Posting solely from a PvP perspective:

2-Piece: Wither or Slow Time increases damage reduction by 2% for 3 seconds.
The two piece bonus is ok but needs to be brought in line with the other tank set bonuses. Because you do not use Wither on CD if a Shock procc-ed (otherwise you delay building the charges for Depredating Volts) the uptime for this drops under the 30% expected from the 10 sec CD for Wither. Even if we would use Wither on CD it would still make for a less uptime than the other tank bonuses, if I understand correctly, so perhaps that is something it should be looked at.

4-Piece: Wither or Slow Time reduces the cooldown of Mind Control and Mass Mind Control by 2 seconds per activation. This is helpful about 50% of the time in PvP, when you are fighting in a big group and have other folks around you to protect. As we are the preferred node guards, we do encounter a lot of 1v1 or 1v2-3 situations in which this bonus is useless. I would rather take a bonus that is useful all the time and not in select situations.

6-Piece: Dark Ward's or Kinetic Ward's duration is increased by 3 seconds and charges are increased by 3. It is very difficult to keep track of Dark Ward in PvP and I believe that most of assassins use it in PvP as soon the Cd is up to compensate for all the CCs that can hit you and the chance that it would drop. As a result, this bonus is practically useless in PvP. Perhaps we can change this 6 piece bonus to a 5 sec CD decrease for Spike and bring Spike to a 15 sec CD in PvP. Just a thought.

I currently use the old PvP set armoring for the old 2 and 4 piece bonuses (reduced Spike Cd and 5% damage boost if guarding) and the new 2 piece set (belt/bracers) . Without this reduced CD Spike is the poor cousin of Low Slash, to the point that when this set bonus will be removed or the armorings get completely outdated I will probably be forced to switch to dps. While Spike was fine on a 20 sec Cd back at lvl 50-55, this is certainly not the case anymore at 60.

As a general view on the current state of the assassin PvP tanking, I believe that we are the victim of the success of the assassin PvE tanking. Not saying this is the result of totally unremarkable set bonuses for PvP, there is more at play than that. Best way to see how well are we doing in PvP is to look around in a Warzone and see how many of us are around compared to other tank classes. If you dont see us most of the time it means we might have problems.

In closing, I am not sure how the set bonuses work for PvE, and I would certainly not want to ruin the fun of those of us who enjoy that aspect of the game. I am very happy that we have one area where we shine. Perhaps we should consider having PvP and PvE set bonuses as separate so each can address issues in their own areas.

Gardimuer
07.18.2015 , 09:10 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by LShaaDe View Post
In closing, I am not sure how the set bonuses work for PvE, and I would certainly not want to ruin the fun of those of us who enjoy that aspect of the game. I am very happy that we have one area where we shine. Perhaps we should consider having PvP and PvE set bonuses as separate so each can address issues in their own areas.
As I recall, the devs switched to having identical PvP & PvE set bonuses after 3.0 because of the balance issues with unequal set bonuses before. For instance, PvE Snipers used to get the 2 piece PvE + 2 piece PvP set bonus for the extra tick of damage on Orbital Strike pre nerf. Now, instead of having to balance 2 sets for each class the devs only have to focus on one. So in that way the change was a good thing.

But I agree, the things that are needed for PvP are vastly different from the things needed for PvE, so having a single set bonus for both will always give the short end of the stick to one or the other.

xAZUREx
07.20.2015 , 07:12 AM | #26
2: Shield X%
4: Absorb X%
6: Defense X%
Tomb of Freedon Nadd: (Kazama Legacy)
<A New Hope> <Sith Crusaders>
There is no force, there is only FUS RO DAH

MrEndymion
07.21.2015 , 11:29 AM | #27
Now that I think about it, making our 2-piece on par with the other tanks' would be nice.
http://www.swtor.com/r/csdPWl Referral link and a muffin button... click it.... you get a free blueberry muffin
Ahz, GM of <R O G U E> and Wrestling Nerd.

Lalainnia
07.28.2015 , 01:14 PM | #28
6p Cascading debris heals for % of hp. Bring the self healz back! lol.
Donna-Commando-Combat Medic
When we care for others our own strength to live increases. When we help people expand their state of life, our lives also expand. Actions to benefit others are not separate from actions to benefit oneself.

blackthunder
08.03.2015 , 02:51 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Lalainnia View Post
6p Cascading debris heals for % of hp. Bring the self healz back! lol.
I like that idea. They could have it heal for maybe 12% hp at 3 stacks of harnessed shadows. Either that or have something like the sentinel's watchman update. They could increase the maximum stacks of shadow protection to 8, have them build twice as fast, and increase its duration to 15 seconds.

Aelanis
08.03.2015 , 05:03 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by blackthunder View Post
I like that idea. They could have it heal for maybe 12% hp at 3 stacks of harnessed shadows. Either that or have something like the sentinel's watchman update. They could increase the maximum stacks of shadow protection to 8, have them build twice as fast, and increase its duration to 15 seconds.
Except that bringing that kind of self healing back to Assassins will trivialize content again. If you can only use Depredating Volts every 15 seconds, that would still be over 400 hps. Assassin tanks would go back to being the single best choice for raids, just because they barely need any healing, because they'll also be at 3.0 levels of spikiness, which is to say not bad. You can't just give a tank class something on the order of 550 to 600 (when played well) hps and call it a day.

As for having 8 stacks of Dark Protection? We'd be at ~48% DR, with Juggernauts at ~50%, and PTs at roughly 52.5%. Remind me again why someone would bring anything BUT an Assassin at that point? With higher shield, Defense, and with Absorb as high as a PT's (time averaged), there would be basically no reason to bring the other tanks. You'd have amazing cooldowns, insane passive mitigation, and strong active mitigation, not to mention that if you threw the self heals on top of that, we'd become nigh unkillable in PvE, with no thought yet as to what would happen in PvP.
Dulfy Guides: Hatred, Serenity, Darkness, Kinetic Combat
Ellendra - Death MarkExit Area - Theraton
The Shadowlands