A possibility of reclaiming a taken name.

twistedbortik

Hello,everyone,I'm sorry in advance for my bad grammar - English is not my original language and I'm in the process of learning it - I tried my best to keep mistakes at minimum,but I think there will be some anyway.

I encountered a certain problem while trying to create a character with a certain nickname - It was already taken.I understand that thing can happen in MMO a lot - and if it would happen in some other online game that less oriented on story,lore and atmosphere I would just add The at the beginning of the name,double some letters in the name or think of a new nickname.However in this particular MMO i want to use my nickname on my main character.

At first I thought that it's not a problem - I'll just contact this person in game and try to buy my nickname,if he would wish to sell it.And i tried - and,well,one of the worst things happened - this name belong to lvl 8 jedi knight.This is important,because right now you are unable to create character of this class - you could do it before the new spec system,where you need to pick either guardian of sentinel spec at lvl 1 already.It means,that this person must have created this character before this system and never play on this character ever again.And for me that's very unfortunate,because I'm unable to contact this person via any ingame method.

Even considering all of this I don't want to give up yet - I created a ticket through the customer service regarding this problem.I understand,that they ofcourse will not be able to just delete this character - it will be a violation of right of the person that created that character.so I have a question - is it possible that support will be able to provide me either information of another possible characters on this account so I will be able to contact the owner or,if this person stopped playing the game,provide me with his Email?Maybe some of you have experience of similar problem.

Thank you for your time and for your help.

Edited by twistedbortik

Huh. That's weird. They were supposed to have purged the names of level "less than 10" characters that hadn't been played in ages (90 days or longer) before the server merges. If the character is still just a Jedi Knight, that means the player hasn't logged into it since before KotET came out, in December 2016.

It's really hard to imagine Customer Service giving you the other player's email address for any reason. (If the other player is in Europe, it's also *illegal* for them to do so.)

There are ways to resolve this, perhaps not to your satisfaction, but you can get closer than you are right now.

The game allows you to put one space in character names. Does the name work well if you add some kind of surname to it? (e.g. suppose you wanted to create "Smuggleboy", but that was already taken. Would it work for you to call him "Smuggleboy Solo"(1) or something like that?) If you were going to show your legacy name as a surname, put that in as a real surname as part of his name.

Alternatively, would it work to "split" the name internally with an apostrophe or a dash? ("Smuggle-boy" or "Smuggle'boy") Or to split it with a dash instead of an apostrophe or vice versa? ("Smuggle'boy" instead of "Smuggle-boy")

Or add or remove or change a letter that doesn't change the sound? ("Smuggleboi")

(1) This is not to be read as suggesting you use the word "Solo" like that - another player might report it for being too close to the name of a Star Wars film character, and you'd get asked to change it.

• 3 weeks later...
Huh. That's weird. They were supposed to have purged the names of level "less than 10" characters that hadn't been played in ages (90 days or longer) before the server merges. If the character is still just a Jedi Knight, that means the player hasn't logged into it since before KotET came out, in December 2016.

They could have logged in to reset the 90 days and logged out without picking a class. Even if you can't log out regularly (not sure), you can always use Alt+F4. It's also possible that the other player simply renamed the Jedi Knight after the merges.

In any case, the other player is likely still playing (or was during the server merges) and put in some effort to keep (or even get) that name, so it's unlikely they'll give it up.

Edited by Mubrak