1.2 Sniper PVE Builds?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my current build but Im tempted to do something like this since Im real bad about using Rapid Fire.

The 2nd build is good, but i'd advice rapid fire instead of explosive probe since it costs so much energy and may cause a -energy hole in the rotation- .

I never go out of energy ( unless I stupidly spam skills in a 1v1 PvP situation ) with this rotation :

Laze target -> Shatter Shot -> Snipe -> Follow -> Ambush -> Takedown (less than 30%) / Series of Shots -> Snipe -> Follow -> Ambush / Rapid fire / Series of Shots.

fu that nerf :(

I'm using a 25/16/0 build.

I tried a 28/13/0 build first taking imperial assassin instead of cluster bombs and found that I had much less energy and therefore lower DPS overall.

My gear selection has me sitting at a very low amount of crit and a very high amount of power so I don't feel as comfortable trying a lethality spec.

The MM/Eng hybrid has been my preferred spec for a while as it suits my play style quite well and I enjoy it the most.

While its up to your playstyle.. i cant say we r exactly "buffed", really.

pre 1.2 was using and still on full MM. (just coz i like that - when i want jump around & toss grenades.. i might roll OP instead of Sniper)

by pure numbers i lost 4,4% crit chance - simple and clear (from 43,2 down to 38,8). + some amount of dmg (but not much), surge is basically same what it was before.

I'm using 23/18/0. Used it before 1.2 as well. I like it a lot, in my opinion it has the best balance between offensive and defensive talents, perfect for pvp and great for pve.

In the Engineering tree I mostly pick the AoE talents and Explosive Probe upgrades. The Marksman tree I use for the defenses and single target skills. Great combo.

Sniper Build 1 Is my current build. Found it to be the best for single target dps in Operations. After hours of theorycrafting and testing it turns out our dot is a DPS loss :/ .

have you got a dps number for that build? Look's quite useful, especialy with the news that dot's are a bad Dmg Source.

Edited by Volumenintegral

have you got a dps number for that build? Look's quite useful, especialy with the news that dot's are a bad Dmg Source.

Can you point me towards that news? I have not read that yet and switched to full lethality so it is something I should read up on.

All the builds listed have sector ranger. Am I missing something about the extra 2 meters knockback.? Cover pulse is buggy at best and 1 sec less cooldown can't be the reason.

I also believe Pillbox sniper is useful for pvp to reduce the time you can be CC'd by using entrench, But I'm not seeing them in these builds.

I'm currently MM/ENg hybrid, but I may drop the eng and go full MM but these builds confuse me.

Pre 1.2, I was 16/3/22 as it was arguably the highest sustained DPS. Post 1.2, I Decided to go 2/8/31 for Weakening Blast and Lingering Toxins.

I tried MM and although I do miss those 5-6K+ Crits, things go down much faster with Lethality. Not to mention the added mobility and how energy friendly this spec is.

Edited by TheForceful

All the builds listed have sector ranger. Am I missing something about the extra 2 meters knockback.? Cover pulse is buggy at best and[b] 1 sec less cooldown can't be the reason.[/b]I also believe Pillbox sniper is useful for pvp to reduce the time you can be CC'd by using entrench, But I'm not seeing them in these builds.

I'm currently MM/ENg hybrid, but I may drop the eng and go full MM but these builds confuse me.

The 1 second is not cooldown its activation time...time spent channeling. Its also not linked to the knockback but orbital strike. So if orbital strike is 3 second cast it becomes a 2 second cast. Pretty major ability especially considering what other damaging bonuses we can get for aoes.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400dcrbdRsRGoZbfZh.1

what this does is maximize the damage talents like pillbox to lower OS cooldown while causing orbital strike to hit 10% harder with Explosive Engineering and make it cast faster with sector ranger.

Other than that I sacrificed a point in cover screen to keep diversion since that ability is really strong in pvp...wish it had a purpose in ops. Other than that I don't really see any other talents that would make this build stronger without sacrificing something that seems key to me.

Edited by Kahzard

Sniper Build 1 Is my current build. Found it to be the best for single target dps in Operations. After hours of theorycrafting and testing it turns out our dot is a DPS loss :/ .

I'm running basically the same build (31/5/5) except I took the points in Pillbox Sniper instead of Diversion and Heavy Shot - my Sniper is PvE only. This is basically the same build I was using pre-1.2 (pure MM).

I ran MOX's meter (desktop) live on a second monitor while my guild took our first run at EC last night.

Note: I am in full Rakata (roughly 1680 cunning, 39% crit, 64% surge raid buffed - not in game so I can't give exact).

I was averaging around 1100-1200 DPS on the first 2 fights (that's as far as we got), but this I don't believe is representative since there is a lot of boss movement and target swaps in these 2 fights (target swaps and movement in Toth/Zorn and movement in Firebrand/Stormcaller). Also, a lot of wipes as we learned the fights and got coordinated.

For reference, the Sorc DPS in our group was also averaging around the same (don't know if the 2 Merc DPS were running meters or what their numbers were - both TM spec, whatever that is).

In general PvE (running dailies on Belsavis and Correlia), I could put up 1400 being lazy. I'm trying to save up some more money to get the dummy on my ship, but BW have said that the dummies do have an issue where they may not report good numbers as compared to actual ops bosses.

We'll still be running some NMM KP to finish gearing and get BH comms, so I should get a better idea of DPS with a more "static" boss fight there.

Pre 1.2, I was 16/3/22 as it was arguably the highest sustained DPS. Post 1.2, I Decided to go 2/8/31 for Weakening Blast and Lingering Toxins.

I tried MM and although I do miss those 5-6K+ Crits, things go down much faster with Lethality. Not to mention the added mobility and how energy friendly this spec is.

I'm in the same exact shoes. I have too much energy now, which is exciting, as I can blow a lot of the high DPCT abilities to increase DPS. Weakening Blast + Cull is a great combination. Also, I'm running around like crazy for some fights, and harder DoT ticks is great for that.

I am currently trying out

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400dRrbdRsRGZbIZh.1 (30/8/3)

I have Khem Val maxed out on my sorc so i appear to gain 1% accuracy from him, and the way my acc stat on my non-moddable items works out, i am exactly 1% over 8% accuracy, so dropped 1 point in marksman to bring me down to 8 and gained 50% chance at cover screen (lol).

I am not really sure what spec would be most damage yet. Went from full marksman to this with the patch.

:)

This is EXACTLY my situation as well. After my 50 parsing on PTS for a couple weeks, and then testing live on dummies for another 5 hours yesterday, I've come to settle on the 2/8/31 spec as the highest sustained DPS. Rolling 8 minute parses gave the best numbers for me, and I was quite skilled in the old 16/3/22 hybrid spec.

Good luck guys, I could not get the sustained numbers out of MM spec. I will keep reading your data and rotations and look forward to whatever weapon buff BioWare has planned, but it looks like Lethality has won me over for now.

This is EXACTLY my situation as well. After my 50 parsing on PTS for a couple weeks, and then testing live on dummies for another 5 hours yesterday, I've come to settle on the 2/8/31 spec as the highest sustained DPS. Rolling 8 minute parses gave the best numbers for me, and I was quite skilled in the old 16/3/22 hybrid spec.

Good luck guys, I could not get the sustained numbers out of MM spec. I will keep reading your data and rotations and look forward to whatever weapon buff BioWare has planned, but it looks like Lethality has won me over for now.

That's great to hear! I've been messing around with the spreadsheet today and there's no clear rotation - we're all about priority (to a very varied degree). Is the experience the same for you as well?

Can you link your 2/8/31 build and your exact rotation for sustained dps?

This is the 2/8/31 I am using and I think I actually got it from psi overtake too :). I am still working on rotations and priorities so I am not sure if I am doing the best I can or not just yet. I think it can be much improved, to tell the truth. For example I am not sure if I should be doing snipe at all and if I should use shatter shot in there somewhere.

Basically

Laze > Weakening Blast > Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Dart > Cull > SoS > Snipe > Rifle Shot if needed > Cull then refresh Weakening blast, Corrosive Grenade, and Corrosive Dart as needed. Throw in an orbital strike if I am really doing good on energy

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bZbIZGbbkrMGdhR.1

Edited by Destronicus