Consular companion question

Kithalt

Quick question about the jedi consular storyline: is there any point in the class quests where you're forced to use a certain companion (no story spoilers please)? If so, which companion. I know there is a section like that in the jedi knight storyline, and I don't want it to take me by surprise for consular.

Quick question about the jedi consular storyline: is there any point in the class quests where you're forced to use a certain companion (no story spoilers please)? If so, which companion. I know there is a section like that in the jedi knight storyline, and I don't want it to take me by surprise for consular.

Yes, Qyzen, and I want to say several times (but don't quote me on that). That being said, so long as your consular is geared well don't worry about gearing Qyzen up that much.

There also might be a point where you have to use Nadia (but again don't quote me on that).

Yes, Qyzen, and I want to say several times (but don't quote me on that). That being said, so long as your consular is geared well don't worry about gearing Qyzen up that much.

There also might be a point where you have to use Nadia (but again don't quote me on that).

There's definitely a point where you can't use Nadia, but it's not very long. I also don't remember being forced to use Qyzen later in the game, I think my Qyzen currently still has gear from like Nar Shaddaa equipped.

There's definitely a point where you can't use Nadia, but it's not very long. I also don't remember being forced to use Qyzen later in the game, I think my Qyzen currently still has gear from like Nar Shaddaa equipped.

Actually, which companion you can't use depends on a couple of choices you make. Also, i can't recall being forced to use Qyzen at any point either.

There are semi-frequently (in most of the stories I've tried, actually, at one point or another) points where you have to use one companion, but in nearly all cases, it's right after you acquire them. Also, in most cases you only have to have them out for conversations, and can use your companion of choice the rest of the time. Things I know of/ remember:

There shouldn't be any major spoilers, beyond the names and locations acquired of the companions in question.

*Consular Story- You have to use Tharan on Nar Shadda right after you get him, for approximately one area of the planet's class quest. Zenith for the last part of Balmorra. Similarly with Nadia, on a mission you get right after Belsavis. After Voss, you'll head to another mission, and at the end of the mission, you'll become unable to use one of your companions. I'm not entirely sure how they decide which one it is, but I think if your consular is male, it's Nadia and the consular is female, it's Iresso, unless you currently have one of them summoned, in which case it's the one who's NOT with you. This only lasts until the first area of the next planet.

* Smuggler story- none that I know of

* Inquisitor story- You have to use Khem in the act 1 finale, with your other companion (s) being unsumonable for the entire time. Fortunately, his gear should only be 1 planet out of date at this point, so it's not too bad. I think you also have to use Andronikos for the last bit of Tattooine, though again, you can bring Khem out for fights if you want.

* Knight story- You have to use T-7 for the entirety of the final area. If you haven't geared him since Coruscant, there's reputedly a puzzle to solve in one of the rooms of the final area that will give you some gear for him. Also, you can try using surplus planetary commendations to grab the droid gear from vendors on the fleet. You also have to use Kira for one mission in act one, but I don't really remember when it is or if she has to be there all the time.

*Bounty Hunter story- none that I know of

Edited by Mirdthestrill

Some (non Consular) additions, contains actual spoilers so beware:

Extra spoiler warning in case you didn't get it the first time :p.

In the Inquisitor story, there might be a point where you're "forced" to use Talos, but that's more of a blessing, really, he's great.

The Jedi Knight has a mission in Chapter 1 where you are supposed to use T-7 right after Coruscant on Ord Mantell.

The Bounty Hunter is "forced" (you can switch them out, ofc) to use Skadge on Belsavis and maybe also Torian in the fight against his father.

The Warrior will be forced to use a certain companion on Taris because he sends all the others to do other important tasks for the final assault. You might be "forced" to use Broonmark, but I'm not sure, haven't played that in years.

The Trooper is forced to use Tanno after acquiring him and I think also during the "Gauntlet" mission. That mission I think also locks you out of using either Dorne or Jorgan for a limited time I believe.

The Agent needs to use Vector for at least one mission (haven't played this further so that's all I can tell you so far).

I don't remember anything of the sort for the Smuggler story.

Some (non Consular) additions, contains actual spoilers so beware:

Extra spoiler warning in case you didn't get it the first time :p.

In the Inquisitor story, there might be a point where you're "forced" to use Talos, but that's more of a blessing, really, he's great.

The Jedi Knight has a mission in Chapter 1 where you are supposed to use T-7 right after Coruscant on Ord Mantell.

The Bounty Hunter is "forced" (you can switch them out, ofc) to use Skadge on Belsavis and maybe also Torian in the fight against his father.

The Warrior will be forced to use a certain companion on Taris because he sends all the others to do other important tasks for the final assault. You might be "forced" to use Broonmark, but I'm not sure, haven't played that in years.

The Trooper is forced to use Tanno after acquiring him and I think also during the "Gauntlet" mission. That mission I think also locks you out of using either Dorne or Jorgan for a limited time I believe.

The Agent needs to use Vector for at least one mission (haven't played this further so that's all I can tell you so far).

I don't remember anything of the sort for the Smuggler story.

There is a point in the Corso story where you have to use him or you cannot start the conversation

I went through it recently, that's how I know :).

There are two consistencies regarding this:

1. when you first acquire a given companion you have to use that companion at some point shortly thereafter.
  2. the early companions have more detailed stories and are more frequently required to be used in conversations (if you do not have to enter combat right after a conversation (rare I know), you can use the required for the conversation and then switch for fighting).

Thank you for the tip on the Knight! Never bothered to equip T7.... I guess, I will just have to let him die.

I was used to using the healer companion for my tank guardian. An ill-equipped T7 made that area significantly harder than anything leading up to it for me. It's why I wanted to know if there was anything else like that before starting any other stories.

Thanks for the answers everyone. It sounds like only the Jedi Knight has a real forced-companion with lesser gear issue.

There is one mission where you cannot use Nadia for a while. Also at beginning you naturally have only Qyzen. Also Qyzen's companion mission requires him to participate convos. But nothing so important that JK has