Announcing the The Old Republic Weekend Pass

CourtneyWoods

Today we are excited to announce the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Weekend Pass Free Trial*. Now for a limited time, you will be able to live out your very own Star Wars™ saga with thousands of other players for free! With the Star Wars: The Old Republic Weekend Pass Free Trial, individuals who don’t already have a previously-active Star Wars: The Old Republic account will be allowed to see a portion of what the game has to offer, free of charge, with no payment method required, for up to four days!

Read More

Edited by CourtneyWoods

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this going to be a re-occuring thing on the weekends, as in, every weekend or every other weekend or something?

Edit: Glad to see after reading the FAQ that proper anti-spammer measures have been taken. Good job with that.

Edited by Vashy

Today we are excited to announce the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Weekend Pass Free Trial*. Now for a limited time, you will be able to live out your very own Star Wars™ saga with thousands of other players for free! With the Star Wars: The Old Republic Weekend Pass Free Trial, individuals who don’t already have a previously-active Star Wars: The Old Republic account will be allowed to see a portion of what the game has to offer, free of charge, with no payment method required, for up to four days!

Read More

This will help me get more of my friends to play. :D

Really? dose that count for people who are playing the game to and is paying for it? so dose that mean we get the weekend off to not pay?

If you read the article you would've seen that this is for new accounts only that do not have active subscriptions or previously active subscriptions.

It's an incentive for new buyers and is no different than any other incentive that other companies use.

Edited by GamewizX

This surely will entice all of the couple thousand people who are interested in the game but haven't tried it yet. And funnest part of it will be the ones who sub for a month after Black Talon or The Essles only to find out the next what 3 FPs are nothing like them.

Honestly it's genius timing by EA/Bioware.

It makes the server pops look heavier even if only temporarily with free subs.

The initial part of the game is by far the best , it drops off heavily once you realize post level 20 they couldn't manage a working open world PVP system even with years of development , and that the FP and other parts get redundant and worse etc. That crafting is essentially worthless even with years of development (and I meant right now , I dont care what future patch notes say), etc.

So folks will artificially boost server pops , think it's a great game (as I did initially) and possibly buy it , before realizing the emperor has no clothes and leaving.

Bioware still wins though in such a scenario.

Edited by Dahkot

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

" I think so, but then my name would be Thumby"

"in a perfect world...your name would be dummy"

This stinks of lost subs and an effort to save numbers.... :(

Swijr

" I think so, but then my name would be Thumby"

"in a perfect world...your name would be dummy"

This stinks of lost subs and an effort to save numbers.... :(

Swijr

According to the most recent reports, TOR still has 1.7 million active subscribers, so they aren't bleeding subs as some people are trying to claim.

LINK

In other EA news, the CEO also gave those in attendance an update on Star Wars: The Old Republic. Riccitiello said there were currently 1.7 million active subscribers to the online game. As Venture Beat indicates, this isn’t much of a change from the numbers EA reported during their earnings call last month, save for one small detail.

Many of those in the initial subscriber count were using 30 day free trial subscriptions. The majority of those trials have probably run their course and the revised 1.7 million count is likely comprised of paying customers only. Riccitiello said that Star Wars was the most successful MMO through this period in the history of the industry but there is a much larger opportunity in front of them moving forward.

isn't a bit too soon to start this kind of promos? not that i care, but makes me worry about numbers.

Why do i care about numbers? because i want the game as healthy as possible.

IMHO, you should try to make moves to show how awesome numbers WE are having, even if it is not true

According to the most recent reports, TOR still has 1.7 million active subscribers, so they aren't bleeding subs as some people are trying to claim.

LINK

Active subscribers != actual players. Many people are just playing out their last days from the preorder, and yes this does smack of trying to keep the numbers up.

Thousands? On what server is that?

And btw... if you arent a dev then you do NOT need to colour your text, because really, nothing you post is that important.

I was a 8 year player of SWG and I owned 10 accounts up till the end. I was devasted by the loss of the game all though yes it had alot of work to be done. Yet at least I could enter that game and be what I was the best at Crafting Weapons of Mass Destruction and making up my own game content with guildies by going on our own questing adventures. I never thought that another game could come along and gain my interest as much as SWG. It was my first ever MMO. I liked it because of its difference. I never played an MMO before SWG. I thought I would never play another MMO. Yet here I find myself playing SWTOR. Then I am finding that its much like WOW and that was why I never went to WOW. I did not want a dumbed down version of a game of PVP and PVE , Raids as they call it there. I enjoyed SWG especially the crafting because I could differentiate my crafted wares from others. Why because I could cap alot of weapons, I had to use my mathematical skills to gain the best resources. I had to gather them and then go to work. What I see here is the fact that BIOWARE is losing members. Because many of my guildmates rushed to CL 50 and now they quit. Because the game has nothing in the way of gameplay. Its nothing but redunant play of the same PVP scenarios, FPs, etc. The story line is great. Yet that is not what keeps a game interesting. I hope you guys at Bioware are listening. Because I hate to see you make the same mistakes SOE made. If your offering these subs because your losing members. Then you need to look at why are you losing people. Heck my guild mates are playing other games in hope of a EMU version of SWG. Which looks like it may happen. Yes. Well thats my two cents of more.

Zogar Shema Sith RISTL SWG Chilastra Server 8 years.

-rickjames- }R{SFWEPS}J{ Chilastra Server 8 years. One of the Best of the Best Weaponsmiths.