New Content in Old Worlds

Brayla_Sana

Why does every new story have to be in a new world? It would be great at this point to have new stories in existing places. We suffer a content drought for so long it seems because every new story seems to be built in a new world. Why is there no new content in old places?

Because apart from players that would appreciate that, there would probably be a much larger group of players being very disappointed and feel like BioWare is rehashing old content and assets. I tend to fall more into the second group too and feel like new planets and sights increase the diversity and attractiveness of the game.

At least we get a little bit of new content on old worlds with the flashpoint on Corellia.

something to consider about "rehashed" content or visuals.

if take a good look around earth there isnt much that is truly unique. many cars fall into generic catergorys like "sedan" "suv" "truck" or "bike". or with buildings, (I dont know much here but I know enough to know there are catergorys of buildings as well.) or even people. in many cases, with people or stuff what makes something unique is not what is the same, rather what is different.

2 men are 30 yrs olds, wearing blue shirts and tan khakis. they both drive suvs that are black. are they the same person? did they copy one another and lack originality?

a common complaint among swtor players with new content is to complain about recycled graphics.... they said ossus was a recycled graphic of voss/(that dread world) but you know what? imo all three of those worlds were vastly different, and a similarity in grass or rock graphics doesnt make them any less unique.

Edited by Seterade

Something to consider about Swtor and its scenario.

I'd argue that specifically for the Star Wars brand there is a common idea in the collective consciousness of an entire galaxy in turmoil with diverse planets, cultures and creatures. A sense of adventure exploring new worlds and experiencing strangeness. I am not saying that doing new content on old planets would be bad and I believe a mix can be very appealing. But creating new stories only on already established and "farmed" planets will likely lead to disappointment, because people expect a certain greatness in scope.

These are just my thoughts and I would be curious to read about other reasons for the need for new planets.

Edited by Phazonfreak

While I'd personally love to see old worlds revisited more often, I understand why they aren't.

A huge chunk of the playerbase will complain about "reusing assets" and stuff; repetitiveness of the real world doesn't translate to good game design.

i mean they did this with the conquest stuff already.

add a little bit of the silent protagonist dialogue of kotfe + alien speech rehash of old and they could probably churn out a lot of these things as long as they can revisit zones already made.

would be cool if we could truly explore planets but that's just not going to happen.

small instances with enough eye candy to keep us distracted is all this engine can (barely) do.

I watched an interview where they said they are interested in doing that kind of thing like "the black hole" in Corellia.

So, a new area in an existing planet, where they can design a new better realised area than before with mostly existing assets.

Yes, i do think that would allow them to push content a bit faster. But, i don't want them to stop making new stuff as well. A mix would be welcome. Even because some of these planets suffered from severe fps problems, like Quesh and Taris, and could use a revisit in a better performing area where you can enjoy the content rather than want to leave asap cause the thing is unplayable.

Edited by Nemmar

I watched an interview where they said they are interested in doing that kind of thing like "the black hole" in Corellia.

So, a new area in an existing planet, where they can design a new better realised area than before with mostly existing assets.

Yes, i do think that would allow them to push content a bit faster. But, i don't want them to stop making new stuff as well. A mix would be welcome. Even because some of these planets suffered from severe fps problems, like Quesh and Taris, and could use a revisit in a better performing area where you can enjoy the content rather than want to leave asap cause the thing is unplayable.

Agreed, Black Hole and Section X are a good way to introduce a new daily area within an already-existing planet.

well with 6.0 in september there will be 2 new planets, technically 3 if you count the operation, but the expasc story will finalize on corellia, so they are returning to old planets as well

I've heard that they are updating some of the buildings .. etc .. on Corellia. Sort of like the planet has been at least partially rebuilt. Is there any way to confirm that?

I think it would be great if that were the case.

In my early days of playing the game I used to run across relatively unused areas of most of the planets and think "they must be going to use that area later for some new content". I have since given up on that thought.

However, I do think it would be a good idea. I'd rather they spent more time and effort on new content than on new "planets" (if there would need to be a trade off).

Yes, I know, some people would complain about re-using old graphics, etc - yada yada yada - but those people complain about everything anyway. :)

Besides, it might make some parts of the game more immersive. For example, if you could go to a part of Alderaan where its desert or summer, instead of the "whole planet" being in eternal "spring"(?). Or maybe visit some farms on Nar Shadaa, or whatever.

As a side note - it always struck me as odd that the planets in the SW universe are all mono-cultures - all desert, all frozen, all city, etc. A "real" planet, like Earth, has areas that are desert, frozen, jungle, plains, etc, etc. - so why not Corellia, for example.

This makes me think back to the last time BW tried new content on old worlds. I'll say this, I don't mind one way or the other as long as the game is still alive, but it would have to be better implemented that it was in KOTFE.

Refering to the Star Fortress Quests, Companion Alerts

Edited by ZeroTypeR