SWTOR: Complete Guide to Cleansing in PvP (5.9)

kissingaiur

It makes me wonder about some of the hits I see Juggs do. I can imagine a recorded 40k hit could easily be a reflect

I am currently investigating this. I see it attributed to guardian slash for tanks but was wondering this myself. Going through my combat logs for the last year (since I went back to tanking). Finished about a month yesterday. No 40k hits as any spec yet.

I am currently investigating this. I see it attributed to guardian slash for tanks but was wondering this myself. Going through my combat logs for the last year (since I went back to tanking). Finished about a month yesterday. No 40k hits as any spec yet.

Does the combat log record a reflect hit amount? Or just that reflect was used?

Does the combat log record a reflect hit amount? Or just that reflect was used?

I will have to tell you tomorrow. I currently have it searching for any hits over 40k. So until I find one, I won't know what caused it. If anyone else has combat logs with 40k hits they would be useful.

We should also probably take this discussion back here

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=950364&page=16

You have to make a quick decision every time you go to cleanse. If it was more reliable and would cleanse the higher priority debuffs without fail, then it would make sense. But if you spend a GCD on someone at low health to effectively heal them for 2500 health and they remain stunned for 3 more seconds, you've probably caused their death.

There are times when just going into your strong HPS burst response heals could be better. Where it's possible that an cleansed person could activate a DCD, get to cover, etc, its also possible that the same target could be killed due to lack of HPS.

I cleanse when I know its going to get what I'm trying to cleanse (no more than 1 other cleansable debuff present) or when I know that I cannot out HPS the damage, and since I'm a sorc, likely I'm going to pull them and then cast a desperation cleanse when I can neither out HPS or pull.

I wish cleansing was more reliable and more rewarding.

Edited by Wimbleton

You have to make a quick decision every time you go to cleanse. If it was more reliable and would cleanse the higher priority debuffs without fail, then it would make sense. But if you spend a GCD on someone at low health to effectively heal them for 2500 health and they remain stunned for 3 more seconds, you've probably caused their death.

There are times when just going into your strong HPS burst response heals could be better. Where it's possible that an cleansed person could activate a DCD, get to cover, etc, its also possible that the same target could be killed due to lack of HPS.

I cleanse when I know its going to get what I'm trying to cleanse (no more than 1 other cleansable debuff present) or when I know that I cannot out HPS the damage, and since I'm a sorc, likely I'm going to pull them and then cast a desperation cleanse when I can neither out HPS or pull.

I wish cleansing was more reliable and more rewarding.

This is probably something more related to sorcs since you can burst heal instantly but for opers cleansing someone on low health super risky. I actually had to make this quick decision the other day. My friend was at 10k HP. I couldn't get his HP up spamming instants and i didn't have enough time to cast heal. When he got into a tech hardstun, i had to just take the chance to cleanse him in hopes he had a DCD to pop to save himself because I couldn't spam instants forever. It ended up working out because he kited away and survived being around 10k for a good 20 seconds.

Decisions like these as healers we just need to weigh the risks. Do I continue healing? Do i have another big heal or CD I can try? Do I CC a DPS attacking the my healing target to reduce some of the incoming damage? If I cleanse here will the player have a DCD to pop? That comes with practice.

Edited by kissingaiur

This is probably something more related to sorcs since you can burst heal instantly but for opers cleansing someone on low health super risky. I actually had to make this quick decision the other day. My friend was at 10k HP. I couldn't get his HP up spamming instants and i didn't have enough time to cast heal. When he got into a tech hardstun, i had to just take the chance to cleanse him in hopes he had a DCD to pop to save himself because I couldn't spam instants forever. It ended up working out because he kited away and survived being around 10k for a good 20 seconds.

Decisions like these as healers we just need to weigh the risks. Do I continue healing? Do i have another big heal or CD I can try? Do I CC a DPS attacking the my healing target to reduce some of the incoming damage? If I cleanse here will the player have a DCD to pop? That comes with practice.

Totally agree. But to me, the clarity gained through practice is superseded by the RNG of cleansing non-critical debuffs over critical debuffs. If I could rely on cleanse, I'd run (or at least try, in regs) the galvanizing cleanse utility so that i could insta autocrit dark infusion into a insta dark heal and that (mobile) burst healing would compliment the risk of cleansing and the possible ill-timed lull in my high HPS rotation.