Sad state of operations

The default black hole gear isn't well optimised for some classes as you obviously know, but if you're in Rakata the increase in armouring and hence survivability means trading up for BH is still a good option, even if you stack more endurance and less of your main stat. I consider it an acceptable transitional phase while you're building up credits and comms for optimised armouring / mods, or running ops to get campaign gear, and it should be more than good enough for TFB SM.

My scoundrel healer has 23K health in augmented Black Hole gear. I've left the Rakata implants in because they're better optimised and have no armouring bonus. Whatever augs you go for on a scoundrel, you stack yet more endurance, hence more HP, but it's a necessary evil.

Now, what makes me really laugh is tanks with 30K HP upwards. You don't stack that much endurance with regular gear, you have to deliberately optimise for it. The only way to do that is to neglect other things. Invariably when I see one - and they're rare - their defense, shield and absorb are absolute pants. Any tank with over 27K HP in the current gear available makes me very, very suspicious that we have an idiot in our midst.

Your last paragraph is a little off. Dread Guard tank gear is extremely endurance heavy, with very little sacrifice in the mitigation stats. My shadow tank has 29k hp with 26% def., 65% shield, and 60% absorb. it's very easy to get over 27k with full mitigation stats, as long as some dread guard gear is in there.

I'm over-geared compared to my guild so when I do TFB it's usually with pugs and I'm normally fine with columi gear but there are two situations where I won't let them in

1 They heal

I know its for columi but on the last boss I have yet to see a columi healer that can keep me up (for reference I'm a vanguard that is 60/60/20 in full campaign/ bh

2. our dps is already too high.

I understand this is weird but I don't want to make good players wait and again on the last boss if the dps is uneven it makes the ind of the fight a real pain as less dmg is done to the tentacles

Your last paragraph is a little off. Dread Guard tank gear is extremely endurance heavy, with very little sacrifice in the mitigation stats. My shadow tank has 29k hp with 26% def., 65% shield, and 60% absorb. it's very easy to get over 27k with full mitigation stats, as long as some dread guard gear is in there.

Which is why you do not use a lot of DG as a sin tank. I RE most of what I get. learnt the robust 27B mods which is end heavy(56 end 34 absorb) and have replaced all the thrash from DG with it. looking to get the normal 27 robust so i can get 41 absorb and get my max mitigation gear as well.

I think your itemisation is not too good. My tank has 24.5k hp stimmed, 28% def, 69% shield 63% absorb. This is because the 3 DG pieces I got ive only used the armorings and maybe 1 enhancement. waiting for proper hazmat drops to get proper enhancements and mods.

TFB SM have a very lenient gear requirement. It's designed for players in Columi, which is why it's dropping Rakata.. This just demonstrates the raid leader is clueless and relies on being 'overgeared' to get through the mechanics.

^ this

Especially healers and tanks. Tanking in this game is not hard, but so many people completely fail at it. Healing is probably harder since there's no such thing as force/ammo pots so you have to manage that and compensate for poor skills.

It's great to see all the replies to this thread and to know that I'm not alone in my observations. I definitely hear the point that some of you have made that, when pugging, leaders will opt for higher geared players to counteract the lack of coordination and general unpredictability of PuGs.

The instance that led me to start this thread, however, was not one of these cases. It was a guild run for which they were looking to only add two dps. I was very clear with the leader that this was an alt and that my main had been through TFB HM (16M at that, which IMHO is much harder) many times, so I knew the fights and assured him I wouldn't be a liability. I offered to run a parser with the rest of his dps to make sure the gap wasn't too significant. I asked which of the voice programs they were using. In short, I did all I could to demonstrate that I'm a reliable, knowledgable player and it would make up for any perceived lack of gear.

How did he respond? He ignored me! Before this, I had never been ignored by anyone and I've been playing this game since launch. I was being completely respectful, even apologizing if I sounded condescending while explaining the gear requirement. Totally baffled me and, I must say, compelled me to start this thread.

Which brings be back to the thread's title, "sad state of operations." Are we really at the point where people would go so far to fake proficiency that raid leaders need to be so skeptical? Why can't you trust me to self regulate and only apply to encounters I know I'm suited for? Would I have brought this toon for EC HM or TFB HM? Hell no! I'd need at least full rakata first for just the former. And how was I trying to get to that point? By running TFB SM, duh. I take a lot of care to monitor how I'm performing and determining what level of encounters I'm able to do. I know I might not be in the majority on that one, but are there really so many clueless idiots out there that are irresponsibly joining groups they have no business running with? Was it really so hard to distinguish me from them? The whole thing left me with a very bad taste in my mouth and completely disillusioned with our seemingly ignorant player base.

looks like that guys was a tool and new to raid leading.

if people seem to know what they are doing, then I dont care if they are in greens as they will perform much better with the mechanics of the fight. if you have insane dps and 30k hp but cannot stand in the circle or do the deletion phase on operator or cannot stand on the correct platform and kill anomalies peroperly on tfb 2nd phase, you are useless.

The default black hole gear isn't well optimised for some classes as you obviously know, but if you're in Rakata the increase in armouring and hence survivability means trading up for BH is still a good option, even if you stack more endurance and less of your main stat. I consider it an acceptable transitional phase while you're building up credits and comms for optimised armouring / mods, or running ops to get campaign gear, and it should be more than good enough for TFB SM.

My scoundrel healer has 23K health in augmented Black Hole gear. I've left the Rakata implants in because they're better optimised and have no armouring bonus. Whatever augs you go for on a scoundrel, you stack yet more endurance, hence more HP, but it's a necessary evil.

Now, what makes me really laugh is tanks with 30K HP upwards. You don't stack that much endurance with regular gear, you have to deliberately optimise for it. The only way to do that is to neglect other things. Invariably when I see one - and they're rare - their defense, shield and absorb are absolute pants. Any tank with over 27K HP in the current gear available makes me very, very suspicious that we have an idiot in our midst.

Your 3rd paragraph is just wrong and not up to date with current BiS formulas for tank classes. Even Guardian tanks when fully geared and optimized to BiS can get 31.5K HP with 35% Def, 51% shield and 40% absorb.

Your 3rd paragraph is just wrong and not up to date with current BiS formulas for tank classes. Even Guardian tanks when fully geared and optimized to BiS can get 31.5K HP with 35% Def, 51% shield and 40% absorb.

No fair enough, that was a bit of a lowball figure and with Dread Guard you can probably get to 29K or so without any serious compromise to other stats, but every single tank I've been grouped with or seen on fleet with 30K+ has only done so by letting one of their other stats down badly. (I have a compulsion for looking at other people's gear.)

No fair enough, that was a bit of a lowball figure and with Dread Guard you can probably get to 29K or so without any serious compromise to other stats, but every single tank I've been grouped with or seen on fleet with 30K+ has only done so by letting one of their other stats down badly. (I have a compulsion for looking at other people's gear.)

I have given you HP number as well as the mitigation. If you are misinformed about the latest BiS formula that's your problem. But a guardian tank once full 63 with optimized BiS gear will have the stats I mentioned.

Right, this is my point. Unfortunately, this seems to be a widespread perception. My post is both lamenting that fact and hoping to inform people to the contrary. In fact, just in this thread, someone equated TFB SM with EC HM. It's confusing, but the real hierarchy is NiM EV = NiM KP = EC SM = TFB SM < EC HM < TFB HM. Wish more people would understand that.

I agree with your original point that leaders are imposing gear requirements that are really not needed. As a rule, I'd do the first boss with anyone in at least full Columi gear on average. Only if we start failing do we need to start looking at replacing people, which is when the DPS meters and gear inspections start.

But your ordering for EC SM is wrong...it is far easier with the recent nerfs than NiM KP. Fearful does nothing important, the shields are immune to damage and AoEs, the minefield kit can be used to clear two squares, cleave isn't an AoE, etc.

But your ordering for EC SM is wrong...it is far easier with the recent nerfs than NiM KP. Fearful does nothing important, the shields are immune to damage and AoEs, the minefield kit can be used to clear two squares, cleave isn't an AoE, etc.

Fair enough. Never really had trouble with KP on any mode with any toon, although I guess Jarg and Sorno can be tough on healers. The nerfs to EC SM do bring it a step below, though. I was also partly going by gear drops, which is a good indication of which Op you should be doing when -- and they all drop the same level gear.