Jugg tank PvE endgame gear question

tatatan

Because I was counting those.

I was counting them as well. 25k has been more than enough for my Shadow tank to rofl through anything and everything I've ever run. It would stand to reason the same is true for a Guardian.

I was actually surprised that the Guardian's hp was that low: my Shadow manages 25k hp with unlettered mods, high shield enhs, Resolve (low end, high primary) armorings and hilt, and power crystals. The only Endurance stacking taking place is on my Shield proc relic. The Guardian was using the same except for pure Guardian hilt and armorings (12 higher Endurance on 14 pieces), Endurance crystals (41 higher Endurance on 2 pieces), 2 PvP passive relics (44 Endurance twice rather than 64 and 95), which seemed kind of strange. Based off of that, the Guardian should have had ~179 more Endurance than the Shadow rather than the ~30 AMR says. I can only guess that Shadow's Training (the additional Endurance passive skill that Shadow's get) and Mental Fortitude provide ~150 Endurance to make up the difference.

does anyone have a BIS askmrrobot link? im trying figure out exactly what i need to focus on, on my guardian.

ive been playing around with the WH relics vs the dread guard proc absorb one. i can't figure out which one i like more :/

does anyone have a BIS askmrrobot link?

When I think of Guardian BiS, this is what I'm talking about (I think that should work but it might not since it's a generic Guardian rather than a named one).

ive been playing around with the WH relics vs the dread guard proc absorb one. i can't figure out which one i like more :/

For Guardians, I would use the a passive Defense PvP relic rather than the proc abs relic mainly because Defense is way more valuable for a Guardian than Absorb is. Guardians just don't have the shield or absorb rating to make stacking them particularly valuable.

Kitru, that profile you linked of a BIS Guardian is nice in theory, but there is no high shield/absorb enhancement available on any stock dread guard gear, and no high strength/absorption mod either, so you have to get lucky with a Hazmat drop and then hope someone on your server learns it (hasn't happened yet on my sever).

Since I only have Str/Def mods and Shield/Def enhancements to work with, I'm thinking of using Absorb augments to make up for what I"m lacking there (I'm sticking with the Black Hole high shield/absorb implants for now, and got lucky with a high shield/absorb Hazmat earpiece drop). Also, I play a hybrid spec, with the current stat budget available, what sort of numbers do you think I should aim for?

Doing the math for myself, with the mods/enhancements and earpiece/implants available to me, I'll be at 804 defense, 174 absorb and 594 shield. If I go straight absorb augments for all my gear from there on, that'd put me at 426 absorb. Would those be good numbers to shoot for in the hybrid spec? Or should I maybe drop a couple of absorb augments for even more defense, since my shield will be lower in hybrid spec?

The goal of tanking is to control the fight and (more importantly) to control where incoming damage is going.

We tanks do this using threat to make the mob attack us, facing the mob away from the group so it doesn't cleave them and using mitigation to bring that damage down to a sustainable healing leave. That's a very very basic rundown on tanking.

Amen to this - /sign

Now assuming a boss as a 5k base damage cleave. Now it can go 2 ways. The conventional option: You stand and take it, the healer has to heal ~2.5k if you don't shield or defend it. Or your option: You Intercede a DPS and heal 2.4k. Then you take 2.5k and the DPS takes ~4k. Thats assuming you only catch 1 DPS in the cleave. Now thats 2.4k less healing you require, but its ~4k healing that the DPS now requires. That's a total of 4.1k healing required instead of 2.5k.

I agree, but this all depends on mob mechanics, single, aoe, ranged, close combat, jumping .. and i play 'along' with this.

Now I'm not saying that's always the case. I'm sure if you got really good at it and knew the fights you could avoid accidentally cleaving your team mates but you risk actually working AGAINST the goal of being a tank by doing that. Plus you're making it harder for yourself to hold threat early on for slightly better threat management later on when you can just gain more benefit from taunting.

I understand what you say.

1. i'm using this mechanics where it situation allows - like e.g. good geared sniper was taking agro off me, we fought directive 7 robot, i jumped to him couple of times and back - problem solved

have a look on this video on the move mechanic, it is really fast (just some ranged generic mob)

30 sec video - youtube

2. i'm not using this as some dogma, another example - if there is marauder having same problem - with taking agro off me - he just fight beside me, right - so i intercede to him, i move nowhere, help him with it, i selfheal in process

As seen in video (and i'm lagging a bit because of frapsing) it is fingersnap fast and i just use it - if i can, i cant use it everywhere all the time (the combo friendly leap, enemy leap) but friendly leap, i use always - as there is lots of melee classes in game lately (and they stand beside me anyway).

It works for me.

As i said - i dont do operations, as i am not guilded - and as Kitru smartly noted, i'm 'overgeared' for the content i do - yes, but the gear didn't fall from heaven on me, i did this with rakata too. I'm happy if me and my team completes FP, my friend Healer is happy with me and this is what matters to me.

I do more PvP than PvE and so i'm used to this mechanics (friendly leaps), managing taunts on multiple targets etc. I get sometimes (not often, but do) 100k medals in Pug Warzones for healing (if they are long enough), yes - enrage - and yes, intercede. So i use it in PvE too (intercede).

I use it wisely though, i'm not hopping like crazy grasshopper all over the map.

It is a tool and used properly, it helps me do my job.

Enough said, happy tanking @ all.

AAs i said - i dont do operations, as i am not guilded - and as Kitru smartly noted, i'm 'overgeared' for the content i do - yes, but the gear didn't fall from heaven on me, i did this with rakata too. I'm happy if me and my team completes FP, my friend Healer is happy with me and this is what matters to me.

This is the important bit. Almost all the theory crafting and optimization that we do is for Ops level content that you don't over gear. This is where things like using the right set bonus and properly weighting your stats are important. In these instances you can't leap around the DPS safely and DPS won't be standing next to you for the same reason: cleaves.

Honestly, even in Rakata you could run most HM FPs without a tank. They are only tuned for Tionese and even then, they simply aren't that brutal that messing up your stats or using the wrong set bonus will kill you.

What it really comes down to is: this works in HM FPs but no one cares about those. It simply won't work in Ops which is what most people here are concerned with.