Dps'ing in tank gear in flashpoints

In [sTORY] mode, you can do what you want, and in general it will be OK. Not great, but not a disaster. (I switched a level 70 Shadow Tank in full purple-230-tank to Infiltration halfway round Copero, ffs, and pulled it off.)

In the group modes, especially [MASTER], you'll get a *lot* of flak for trying it.

Tank in dps gear can work and does it well. DPS in tank gear absolutely should not be done. You will have no DPS whatsoever.

If you want to try DPSing and have no gear for that, go to Supplies on Fleet and get a full set of 230 rating DPS gear for command tokens. It's cheap and will get you started.

I think it depends very much on what flashpoints you're doing.

If it's SOLO mode, go for it - it's just you.

If it's Vet mode - you could get away with it in most of the earlier, easier FPs like Hammer Station, etc, but don't try the later ones like Copero. If you're going to go through GF, I highly suggest you un-check the latest FPs from the list of available quests. (Click on the area where it says 22/22 or similar numbers, to bring up the list.)

DO NOT do Master Mode FPs this way. With tank gear you will do a lot less damage and the rest of the group will get po'd and probably kick you.

But, realistically, as was mentioned above, you can easily get a set of "orange" gear and just equip it with cheap 210 level DPS mods from the fleet** to do most Vet FPs. If you find you like DPS'ing, you can then work on getting better gear.

** or whatever level mods are available for your level. Bolster will handle the difference.

Edited by JediQuaker

I think it depends very much on what flashpoints you're doing.

If it's SOLO mode, go for it - it's just you.

If it's Vet mode - you could get away with it in most of the earlier, easier FPs like Hammer Station, etc, but don't try the later ones like Copero. If you're going to go through GF, I highly suggest you un-check the latest FPs from the list of available quests. (Click on the area where it says 22/22 or similar numbers, to bring up the list.)

DO NOT do Master Mode FPs this way. With tank gear you will do a lot less damage and the rest of the group will get po'd and probably kick you.

But, realistically, as was mentioned above, you can easily get a set of "orange" gear and just equip it with cheap 210 level DPS mods from the fleet** to do most Vet FPs. If you find you like DPS'ing, you can then work on getting better gear.

** or whatever level mods are available for your level. Bolster will handle the difference.

So despite having 242 tank gear plus 252 weapon, i should get 230 dps gear if i want to dps ?

I do not want to sound like a di** i kinda do not want to lower my item rating.

So despite having 242 tank gear plus 252 weapon, i should get 230 dps gear if i want to dps ?

Having 230 DPS gear is more helpful to your DPS than having 258 tank gear.

As mentioned, you can tank in dps gear with a shield OH for most (of the easier at least) FP just because more damage does in fact do something for a tank, assuming you're not dying too fast for your healer to keep up.

DPSing in tank gear does literally nothing positive.

Having 230 DPS gear is more helpful to your DPS than having 258 tank gear. .

This.

You’re missing out on something like 3000 power, for starters. For a lot of MM FPs, the other dps can carry you just fine (although they might not be happy about, so don’t be surprised if you get kicked), but for some of the more recent ones, it will be a major problem. Bloodhunt, Rishi, Umbara, and Corpero for sure won't be doable, and probably Lost Island. SM Ops usually won’t be a problem (with a few exceptions), because your contribution (or lack thereof) is diluted by the other three dps – if they are decent, you’ll be OK. But still not advisable, particularly when its very easy to get 230s

It's not about item rating, it's about what kind of stats you have. Tank has defense, absorb, shield - all of these are useless for DPS. DPS needs Crit, Alacrity, accuracy. DPS gear also has higher Power and Mastery than tank - tank gear is heavier on Endurance and Defense. Without accuracy you will be missing your attacks (tanks have built in 10% accuracy, so they don't need it), without crit rating and Power you will hit like a wet noodle. So yeah, even unaugmented 230 is better for you than whatever tank gear you have.

It's not about item rating, it's about what kind of stats you have. Tank has defense, absorb, shield - all of these are useless for DPS. DPS needs Crit, Alacrity, accuracy. DPS gear also has higher Power and Mastery than tank - tank gear is heavier on Endurance and Defense.

Tank gear is obviously heavier on Defense than DPS gear (it's a tank stat), but 5.X level 70 tank gear is *light* on endurance. Non-letter Warding mods and Resistant armorings/hilts/barrels give significantly less endurance than the corresponding Lethal and Versatile ones for DPS/Heal.

Tank gear is obviously heavier on Defense than DPS gear (it's a tank stat), but 5.X level 70 tank gear is *light* on endurance. Non-letter Warding mods and Resistant armorings/hilts/barrels give significantly less endurance than the corresponding Lethal and Versatile ones for DPS/Heal.

That is not true. If they have the same rating, Resistive armorings have more endurance then Versatile armorings (but less Mastery) and Warding mods have identical endurance to Lethal (if it's the same number, like 54B vs 54B or 52 vs 52). What doesn't have endurance at all are tank relics, that's why we use DPS relics on tanks.

Edited by Equeliber

That is not true. If they have the same rating, Resistive armorings have more endurance then Versatile armorings (but less Mastery) and Warding mods have identical endurance to Lethal (if it's the same number, like 54B vs 54B or 52 vs 52). What doesn't have endurance at all are tank relics, that's why we use DPS relics on tanks.

All this is entirely beside the point.

If OP is wearing off the rack tank gear, he has 0 power (not counting augs), 0 crit, 0 alacrity

Endurance is really not the issue.

Yes. You were specifically talking about Flashpoints. In flashpoints you will be subject to bolster, which would, in theory, mean that even 230 DPS gear would work the same as 242/252 DPS gear. But bolster won't make up for the lack of critical, accuracy, power, and alacrity that you'd have with Tank gear.

Naturally, it would be more of an issue if you were doing high level non-bolstered content. But in Veteran Mode even 210 rating DPS gear would be better than 242/252 Tank gear.

Edited by JediQuaker